M&D editions - I feel cheated on with mine

I'll post my edition in the following post:

WTF is the deal with this edition? I ordered a paperback edition online, hoping to get a big book like I've seen around in other threads, but I got this shit instead. Super fragile, bad paper, upper margins nonexistent.

inside

Seems fine to me.

Why would you buy the paperback? I see the hardcover 1st Ed. all the time for under $10 in perfect condition. The first result on Abe is $3.56 with free shipping.

I live in Argentina. Over here there are customs restrictions and I don't know if Abe Books would work. Not even sure Amazon. Yes we're a third world shithole. I've used Book Depository recently and it has worked perfectly for me so I'm sticking with it, and the hardcover wasn't listed there, otherwise I would have gotten it.

Lmfao you are autistic my man

Abe has members on Argentina so I'm sure it would work. Worth trying.

It looks very good. I think I might buy this edition.

Ok thanks guys, I guess I was just making it all up in my head. I must be an autist after all. Happy reading everybody

What can the custom officials do?
"¡Sorry, senor, there's a 777% tariff on postmodern Pnychon clusterfucks!"

lel yeah I see first editions everywhere.

I don't like hardcovers

To make it short, there is a generalized policy of state restrictions regarding imports, to protect the local industry. So they make you pay an extra 40-50% of the price of the item in the local customs as a sort of 'penalty' because you're buying it cheap abroad instead of buying it locally a litte more expensive but supporting your country's economy. This has happened forever and it's understandable, all countries have state protection for certain areas, although of course industrialized countries protect stuff like imported food, grains, meat, etc, where in a poorly industrialized country like mine, the state protection is directed towards the products with more added value like technology (cameras, laptops, etc). The fun part is that books are exempt of any of these regulations, because they are considered 'cultural goods' or something like that, and they should pass along without problem. The thing is that employees in customs and post office companies are complete ignorants and will hold the item and try to charge you money for it anyway, just because they can.

I've got the hardcover and yeah it's a nice looking book but goddamn is it humongous. Took it on the airplane and that was impractical enough, can't imagine taking it on the subway. I'd trade with you any day, OP, I like my books portable.

Yeah I guess you're right.

I have both the hardcover 1st edition and the paperback. I read the paperback, just have the 1st edition as a collectors piece.

I see. Somehow, I had pictured Argentina as one of the more industrialized South American countries.

yeah my giant paperback is fucking stupid

Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

That's the version I want. Looks good.

not really. Maybe that's Brasil, although it's in a pretty bad criss now too. We were really up and coming with industrialization at some point in the 20th century but after a while they just fucked it all up. Our biggest curse is to not have a long term plan or investment as a country. Politicians in the government come and go each trying to make the best for themselves, starting from scratch every time

Oh wow. I realize it's a consensus. I guess I will appreciate my copy now :) It's just not what I expected but now I see the advantages of it.
ISBN: 978-0-312-42320-9
Picador

Looks like a book to me.