Is it be possible to recreate a human brain using mechanical and electronic parts, that will function just like a brain?

Is it be possible to recreate a human brain using mechanical and electronic parts, that will function just like a brain?

bonus question: would that brain have consciousness?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencealert.com/a-man-who-lives-without-90-of-his-brain-is-challenging-our-understanding-of-consciousness
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity
youtube.com/watch?v=1w41gH6x_30
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes.
Depends on the hardware implementation.

Yes and yes, provided it was a perfect imitation. In practice we could only ever get a pretty good approximation, and the answer for that is tricky. I think the brain can be mathematically modeled and if that is the case then it can be computed. Hence, I believe a sufficiently powerful computer could simulate a brain which I think would cause consciousness to arise.

>Is it be possible to recreate a human brain using mechanical and electronic parts, that will function just like a brain?

Yes, you could (in theory) create an analog that behaves exactly like the real thing would.

>bonus question: would that brain have consciousness?
Nobody knows and nobody will ever be able to answer.

No.

There's no neural elasticity with current electronics hardware. It can't create brand new circuits and pathways. With the human brain you can destroy part of it and the rest of the brain will make up for the loss and take over those functions. Hardware just can't do that right now.

1) Not currently, 2) define "consciousness".

(I'll wait another 12,000 years on #2, since that's about how long we've been talking in circles trying to define it.)

if you don't believe dogmatic shits like spirit, brain is a psychical entity and it can be emulated exactly it is. not only it's possible, i am 100% confident that it will be created.

>neural plasticity

fuk fixed

>tfw no one corrected me

But software can

Our neural networks all grow based upon our subjective intakes and it continues to grow based on observations and understandings. We control the flow of that, so no. You could only ever have an incredibly smart AI that will know set things.

We are talking about hardware, not software. So that is a moot point.

Yes and yes

Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot

Say it with me, "Neuroplasticity."

So can hardware... It's called re-routing.

Maybe the hardware is a bunch of nanites that can dynamically make connections any which way they want much like human brain cells.

>Is it be possible
But I'm having trouble telling what tense OP is at. (If present tense, the answer is "not yet.")

But the "bonus question" is entirely philosophical, and entirely unanswerable, outside of religious babble, unless OP presents a definition of "consciousness".

Could a hardware do this,

sciencealert.com/a-man-who-lives-without-90-of-his-brain-is-challenging-our-understanding-of-consciousness

Neuroplasticity, also known as brain plasticity, is an umbrella term that describes lasting change to the brain throughout an individual's life course. The term gained prominence in the latter half of the 20th century, when new research[1] showed many aspects of the brain remain changeable (or "plastic") even into adulthood.[2] This notion contrasts with the previous scientific consensus that the brain develops during a critical period in early childhood, then remains relatively unchangeable (or "static") afterward.[3]

Neuroplastic change can occur at small scales, such as physical changes to individual neurons, or at whole-brain scales, such as cortical remapping in response to injury; however cortical remapping only occurs during a certain time period meaning that if a child were injured and it resulted in brain damage then cortical remapping would most likely occur, however if an adult was injured and it resulted in brain damage, then cortical remapping would not occur since the brain has made the majority of its connections.[4] Behavior, environmental stimuli, thought, and emotions may also cause neuroplastic change through activity-dependent plasticity, which has significant implications for healthy development, learning, memory, and recovery from brain damage.[4][5][6]

Neuroscientists distinguish synaptic plasticity, which refers to changes in how neurons connect to each other, from non-synaptic plasticity, which refers to changes in the neurons themselves

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

>nanites

>trouble telling what tense OP is at

Okay, you get a pass this time. There's just no indication that we will ever have nanites that could perform that type of function. The OP is just a troll he thought up while on the toilet. I doubt he'll be back until after he eats his chicken tendies

It doesn't need to create new circuits and pathways. You can make multi-terminal connections so every part can have a route to anywhere else in the brain. We can use the advantages of recreating a brain and remove the limitations of organic brains.

Maybe.

Yes.

Oh wow, it's almost like the brain in the second question already has "will function just like a brain" as a qualifier.

Even then it won't actually have neuroplasticity. You need a software solution for that.

We have all sorts of machines that do that sort of thing, to one degree or another (the entire electric grid, for example - or in some places, even the water grid), just not to the sheer scale of multitude involved in the human brain. (At the moment.)

Though I kinda have to assume that OP is talking future tense, because, obviously, if we could do that, it'd become common knowledge that we had done so right quick. (Unless you want to go to the other end of and assume the government's secretly built an AI without anyone finding out.)

Personally, I think a working, simulated copy of a brain is inevitable, barring a dark age (probably not in my lifetime though). But yes, software is obviously the way to go (though, in some ways, the line between hardware and software is a bit fuzzy).

But the second p-zombie question keeps coming up on Veeky Forums, again and again, and people argue about it for hours, without ever bothering to define the term they are arguing about. Just once, I'd love to see someone at least try.

The purpose of brain creating new pathways is to have access to those parts and do it quickly. If there's a terminal that can make any part connect with any other part, it's only up to the software to control the information flow. So instead of building a new metro system to wherever you need to go, you use the thousands of alreadily available routes to go wherever you wanna go.

It's literally eliminating one of the limitations of the brain and replaces it with a much better version.

a better question is if we can use brains as computer

Of course we can
youtube.com/watch?v=1w41gH6x_30

thanks

can we use Human Neurons and are they better than rat ones?

I suppose human neurons are pretty hard to harvest.

Only ethically. Trying to make an artificial neuron cell that grows quickly.

re routing is software u cuck

You're fucking stupid.

Are you not made of mechanical and electronic parts? Put that penis to use!

Yes. Every physical process can be simulated by a turing-complete computer.

>being this retarded

leave Veeky Forums forever

>brain can be simulated by a turing computer
>calls someone retarded
singularityfag detected. your kind belongs to /x/

>Every physical process can be simulated by a turing-complete computer.
Bruh do you even realize what you're asserting?

So the trolley problem was a software problem all along?

No, there's plenty of entirely analog, physical re-rerouting systems out there, they aren't as elaborate as the human brain, but nonetheless mechanically demonstrate the fundamentals of "neural plasticity".

Unless you really want to stretch the definition of "software". It is, in the end, a very fuzzy line, afterall.

Well, not really. There's always FPGAs (Field-Programmable Gate Arrays), which are processors that can change their transistor and logic configuration on-the-fly.

brain in a vat is technically not alive, so...

Of course its alive. How wouldn't it be?

That image is so fucking silly I can't believe it.

Good memes my man.

save the computer and use it's technology to bring my waifu alive