My best friend is a flat earther

My best friend is a flat earther.

Is there any evidence I can present to him to prove him wrong? Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iDk5mlas_fg?t=33s
youtube.com/watch?v=_HaCEMy28u4
youtube.com/watch?v=DGE2-USFbwo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If he made the assertion, it's his duty to prove flat earth.

Alright. I'm retarded.

Are there still people who think the earth is flat?

This

The burden always lies on who is opposing status quo

The Greek understood the Earth was round over 2000 years ago when they saw ships "sinking" as they went over the horizon.

Also, pictures of Earth from space. Not that those will help, flat earthers are schizos.

Except OP probably asserted the earth was spherical.

The government wants us to think the Earth is round. Photoshop space photo's.

Tell him to go on a charter boat out to sea

He'll see the land slowly fall over the horizon

Present him with a hangun

Lunar eclipses.

>Except OP probably asserted the earth was spherical.
Which is common knowledge and proven by tons of people...

It's not a scientific problem. It's a psychological problem. The evidence that the earth is round is all there and he still chooses to ignore it. Ask him WHY he believes the earth is flat and WHY someone should lie about this. Ask him HOW it would change his life if the earth was round instead of flat. Ask him if he'd ever like to go to space and see the planet from above or if he thinks the earth is the end of all men

the disc of the earth is perpendicular to the moon, and thus the shadow covers the moon

>The government wants us to think the Earth is round.
why

>the disc of the earth is perpendicular to the moon
Then if the moon is flat, how do we see it? :^)

If sun has to rotate behind the flat earth for this to happen then how is not night everywhere

moon isn't flat, brainlet. The earth is.

selective transportal divergence.

Your friend is a special snowflake and should probably end it

Tell him he is fucking retarded like all other flat earth motherfuckers. Conspiracy noids the whole bunch of them.

Depending on where you are on Earth, you have a different view of the stars/constellations.

The existence of timezones. Not just because we/mankind/the gubment marked them, but because of the actual difference in the sun's position relative to the curvature of the Earth.

The fact that if you get high enough, you can SEE THE CURVATURE.

I'm a highly religious person. I believe in the Creator God from the Bible. I even believe in the resurrection of Jesus. I vote Republican, and I think that both creation and evolution should be taught in schools. And even I'M not a flat Earth moron.

Although, admittedly, I do find the diagram in pic related interesting. Utter nonsensical bullshit, but still interesting.

Then how do you cast the earth's shadow on the moon if the sun and the moon are on the same side? :^)

pulsars. currently there is no know theory that explain pulsars but relativity.

on top of that, penguins. they are evenly distributed in the south pole, but it does not make any sense if the south pole is all around the earth, since penguins mate in a single place

I think creationism is just as dumb, sorry. But I like Newton's and Augustine of Hippo's approach of theistic evolution (i.e. the creation act never ended).
Or Leibniz belief that creation was not an act of the past but an absolute act that at the same time created past present and future. Of course this leads to a pretty stoic worldvoew that everything that happens, happens because it inevitably will and the only choice you have is what role you wanna take.

Send him into space.

I just want a flat earther show me a model where he can predict at what times you'll be able to see what planets in the nightsky and if he can't explain why people who believe in round earth have the ability to do so.

Thats only one of the interpretations. Not every one of us flatties agree with the same-side theorem. Many of us know that sun and the moon are on opposite sides, and rotating.

Explain
If the sun is below the earth how can it be that it's never night on the entire earth?

pay for a fly-over of the antarctic and arctic with him to show there is no wall.

>Is there any evidence I can present to him to prove him wrong?

Wrong question.

He says the Earth is flat. It is his responsibility to prove that the Earth is flat. Burden of proof and all that. Thus, the question should be, "Is there any evidence he can present to prove him correct?"

its just the angle, look at the maths

what maths?

The burden of proof in this case goes both ways as it's also our responsibility to prove the Earth is round.

Earth's shape is not a yes/no question.

(You)
>Solar eclipses

The flat Earth idea was created as a satire. All it was never meant to be taken seriously. A fake conspiracy created to illustrate the sillies of conspiracies, but done too well.

I know what'll fix this problem! Lets create a new conspiracy to satire those flat earthers. It'll be so silly and ridiculous but believable that they'll see the error of their ways!

Hes trolling you nigger. Most people use it as a statement to show that religion is stupid. IE You can believe in whatever you want and make claims to back up that belief that are practically irrefutable. Very very few flat earthers ACTUALLY believe the earth is flat.

>You can believe in whatever you want and make claims to back up that belief that are practically irrefutable.
Thats a pretty fucking weak argument considering that it simply isnt true.

Every argument by flat earthers is refutable. Every single one of them.

The earth is actually helical in shape
The twisting is what causes the day and night cycle

In the summer the sun doesn't set north of the Arctic circle. In the winter the sun doesn't rise north of the arctic circle. But note that its the opposite for the south pole (which on a flat earther map would be the outer perimeter) which creates a riddiculous discrepancy for flat earthers.

I've lived in the northern regions all my life and know that the sun moves differently through the sky depending on the season and I have seen the bright arctic summer nights myself.

>inb4 south pole is a lie

There is no evidence you can present that will change his mind.

have you ever seen a penguin in real life? No, they aren't real because the south pole doesn't exist. Flightless birds can't exist! They wouldn't be birds if they couldn't fly! Antarctica is a myth created by global warming conspirators to steal money from people.

As a schizophrenic, screw you for associating me with that trash

Nothings proven

What stage schizo are you?

Its not refutable if they just say "the government plants fake information about space and other shit to make it seem like the earth is a sphere" literally any arguement you make that you dont have first hand experience with (pictures from space etc) they explain away with the government boogeyman. And ships sinking over the horizon they explain with some misunderstood concept of perception. Its on par with "last thrusdayism"

If the Earth was flat, the sun would rise in the NE and set in the SE. If the Earth was flat, we would not have periodic seasons. If the Earth was flat, the sun would be visible all day long, just dim from time to time. If the Earth was flat, then the gravitational acceleration would varry tremendously from the center of gravity. If the Earth was flat, satelites would not be possible. If the Earth was flat, then our maps would show accurate representations of the sizes of land bodies. If the Earth was flat, our oceans would have been emptied billions of years ago.

What else would go wrong if the Earth was flat?

Clearly this post is brought to you by muh government boogeyman.

Everything you know about gravity, satilites, and the ocean is a lie fed to you by muh government boogeyman. Have you ever actually SEEN gravity, satilites, or the water cycle? Rain doesnt count, thats gods doing.

we are in [math]\mathcal S^2 /_{\sim}[/math]

Yes, i have seen gravity accellerate an object.

No, you saw the earth accelerating toward that object at 9.8 m/s/s

Make a simple quadrant, find the north star and write down the latitude.

Then go on a vacation to a place at a different latitude and do the same measurement.

Then explain to him that the difference in latitudes at different locations is because you have phsically moved around on our ROUND planet and you relation to the north star have therefore changed.

Then proceed to shoot him in his stupid cunt face.

this is a pretty apt question, showing you directly that the answers, whatever they may be, show more about the belief of ops faggot friend than questions pointed at science

>I think that both creation and evolution should be taught in schools.
I agree, I just also think we should round up and shoot anyone that insists they should be taught in the same class. Evolution is science. Creationism is bullshit and belongs in religious studies, which yes, should be a class because any time 90% of the world belives is worth catching up on so you aren't left from the conversation.

>90% of the world believes in creationism
That's wrong.
Maybe you should have gone to religious studies eh?

90% of the world believes in religion you illiterate dullard

Then why talk about it at all? Why waste time on the apologetics for some specific superstition of theologically insignificant American Baptist Churches?
Should we also learn all about why african shamans believe chicken legs can tell you your future?

Yes, and Yes, what part of insignificant baptist churches makes you think this will take a long time to actually cover? And also you're a moron if you don't think a lot of people still disagree with evolution. just not anywhere near 90%.

>what part of insignificant baptist churches makes you think this will take a long time to actually cover?
Because creationist apologetics is a bottomless well. You would be amazed at the amount of arguments they can muster. It would take years to cover it all.

>And also you're a moron if you don't think a lot of people still disagree with evolution.
That's really not a widespread view in the first world.

they don't get arguements. this isn't science, this is religion, you learn what they believe, and where it comes from, there is no justification involved here. This is a class room not a political/scientific debate

I don't get it. What do you propose, that the class says "and this is Baptists, they think evolution ain't real, end of class".

If that's your idea, then don't say you agree with because that is obviously not what he means when he talks about "teaching creationism".

>look at the maths
wat

They are either not a moron and said and meant taught in schools, or they are one of the ones to get shot. In other news, you are still an illiterate moron who hasn't processed that yes, knowing what different people believe and think is important information.

if the sun was positioned that way relative to a flat earth disk, the sun would never set
it wouldn't ever go beneath the horizon

>illiterate
If you think "teaching creationism" is the same thing as "teaching some people believe in creationism", you're the illiterate one.
That's the same difference between teaching general relativity and teaching that general relativity exists.
Faggot.

horizon, boats disapearing bottom first, sun set, crescent moon, pendulum. I mean we knew 3 thousands years ago the earth was round and how big it was. Surely you can find a way that is not a photo from the government to prove it.

>creationism
i followed you until there, m8y. pangaea is scientific fact and almost singluarly blorks young earth theory

not quite flat earth level yet apparently

Friend?
Really?
And you include flat earthers among your friends, why?
Just curious...

>crescent moon

This proves that the moon is round, not the earth. But these are all very good examples.

Anyone who believes flat earth is either trolling or holding back humanity.

none of the actual solid evidence for the earth being round needs space exploration, the government, or even anything from the 20th or 21st century.....

but it takes basic mathematics, which is still beyond the grasp of these people, and it can't be fit into an "argument" on the scale of minutes, which their retard-level attention spans require.

most of the things mentioned in this thread that are explanable in brief, e.g. ships and the horizon, they already have rebuttals for. more importantly they aren't the actual proof but are just example consequences of the the earth's shape meant to be shown to children

Wouldn't our atmosphere and oceans just fall off the edge of the earth?

>debating flat-earthers

Why?

All of these are scientifically sound, compelling evidence, but if the person you're talking to is an actual, believing Flat Earther, it will all fall on deaf ears. The people who have been convinced by flat earth "theory" are the most closed-minded, circular-thinking, confirmation-biased people you will ever encounter. Most die-hard flat earthers are shockingly ignorant of basic principles of motion, mass and energy, and willfully so. If you offered them any of these arguments, they would invent some absolutely retarded garbage for you to say you're wrong, even if it contradicts other things they believe.

Here's an example of how these people think: youtu.be/iDk5mlas_fg?t=33s

is absolutely right. These people are not out to be scientific; they are people who are drawn to conspiracy theories so that they can feel in control of a world they don't understand.

I couldn't be friends with someone that stupid. Call him a fucking retard and never speak to him again. I bet he's a trump supporter too. I really, really fucking hate stupid people.

physics prove that there is evidence for flat earth
youtube.com/watch?v=_HaCEMy28u4

Flat earthers are literally retarded.

Does anyone think otherwise?

> I bet he's a Trump supporter too
> Implying that there aren't also stupid Clinton/Sanders supporters.

Nigga please. Supporting Trump doesn't make you stupid any more than watching TV makes you stupid. Trump even manages to avoid appealing to the evangelicals who practice science denial (one of the few political things that can actually be linked to education/intelligence).

no theyre on to something.
youtube.com/watch?v=DGE2-USFbwo

"For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open."
-Luke 8:17

You can't prove it to him with evidence produced by scientists because he simply doesn't trust them.

You are better off either making him do experiments to prove/disprove round/flat earth or making him explain the movement of stars and planets in the sky with flat earth.

This takes time though.

Also before doing anything, ask him the following question :
"What would it take for you to change your mind on the subject of flat earth?"

Jesus Christ

Education has failed us

Blame the republicans. They can't accept science for some reason so they neuter it in the classroom. Usually in states that need the education the most. Those over zealous christfags are holding this country back in numerous ways. I can't wait for them to die off so they don't vote anymore. They're only delaying the inevitable.
Yes I mad

Why not blame the liberals and their agenda that WWII should be only about the Holocaust and none of the revolutionary technology developed during that time. That we should learn all about how we were the evil whites who hurt black people ever since slavery and Jim Crowe, how we mercilessly slaughtered and segregated the "native Americans", for that matter only teach us emotions- we don't need to know how the world really works (that's what college is for :^) ) as long as we're caught up in emotional turmoil.

kys attention whore

nope. their intentions were too smart for you to get

*tips tinfoil-hat*

BITCH

Is Veeky Forums to /x/ like is Veeky Forums to /pol/??

Bcs looks like...

> what is specific heat capacity

This is the reason that they even put radiators on the iss. If they didn't it would become a death trap. Not because of the ambient tamper astute of the thermosphere but just due to solar radiation.

This happened with Skylab and they had to fix the radiators before going in because the inside was a dangerous temperature.

This still doesn't prove that the earth is round. You're just pulling strawmans with math.

>Sun is 3000 miles above the earth and the earth is 15000 miles across
>Furthest distance you could be away from the sun on earth is 11250 miles
>Sun can never be less than 15 degrees above the horizon. Lets calculate the angle for night time at the equator
>Uses 7500 miles

Source for your dimensions? Or are you just pulling numbers out of your ass?

refute it or shut up

straight from the flat earth society.
Please refute it. Put in your numbers if you like

it proves that the earth cant be flat

>straight from the flat earth society.
>Please refute it. Put in your numbers if you like

How can I refute something with made up numbers? You still haven't provided a source for the dimensions you lay out in your diagram to prove your point.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

you can refute it by using the "right" dimensions as I said.
The source is the flat earth society, as I fucking said.

You keep saying "the source is from the flat earth society". And yet you fail to provide any links.

You can be pedantic about the numbers all day long. OR you can give the numbers you think are right for the flat earth model and actually refute my argument

Wow. Haha. Holy shit. You just won't provide the references for your outlandish numbers used in your calculation will you?

what is wrong with those numbers? Please correct them then