Ontario fags help

applying to computer science or math at both university of Waterloo and u of toronto next year. what should I do. Probably want to do math. Which one would be better for employment? U of t ranks higher but for some reason a lot of people say waterloo is better.

Other urls found in this thread:

uwaterloo.ca/environment/future-undergraduate-students/programs/geomatics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>employability
Math is the last thing you should consider if you want a job that isn't being a 12 hour per day R&D slave earning $20k annually

I'm thinking actuarial

uwaterloo.ca/environment/future-undergraduate-students/programs/geomatics

Shit tier

Definitely math is more employable assuming you put effort into CS during your Math degree.

CS is easier to teach yourself and most high tier paying jobs require a hefty amount of mathematical application in the programming itself. Thus it will be easier to apply Math to CS rather than the reverse. Plus a math degree will give you a really good idea of how to learn.

Go to Waterloo if wagecucking is your goal.

I think that you will see the ranking often put McGill and UofT at the top for most programs, but Waterloo does have a a very strong co-op program with many industry contacts, which if you are looking for employability should be something to think about.

Wow that's a perfect pizza

hey uwaterloo cs here

if you wanna go to grad school go to uoft cs

if you wanna be a codemonkey pleb like me and go straight into the workforce after graduation, go to uwaterloo

both are good and uwaterloo/uoft have different research strengths and of course you can get into grad school from either, but uwaterloo is a lot more industry focused

Whatever you do, DO AN INTERNSHIP during undergrad. I never did this (was a summer research student in my department instead) and I highly regret it. Don't make the same mistake I did:

> get good grades in high school
> everyone always told me I was super smart and should go into research
> do engineering undergrad, get highest scholarship because of excellent grades
> during summers, be an NSERC-funded research student
> think that doing research in academia seems cool
> endless possibilities
> go to grad school
> realize my department is shit
> realize that no one in my department is doing any real research or publishing any meaningful papers in any respected journals
> realize it's all a big sham and everyone is just going through the motions, pretending to do research to get grant money
> one of my fellow grad students is literally doing his thesis on measuring the force required to pull glue apart (but it's "le nanotech" because there happen to be some nanocrystals embedded in the glue)
> realize I've wasted six years of my life with nothing to show for it
> my classmates from undergrad who did internships are now working full-time at those same companies, making great salaries
> why did I believe the memes

Where did you go for undergrad and grad school?

I don't want to say. But it *is* one of the major universities in Ontario.

Just tell me f a m. You don't have to say the departments. I'm especially curious about your grad school.

I won't name the institution. But I will say this: I went to the same school for both undergrad and grad studies. That was mistake number one. I highly recommend against doing that; it looks terrible on your resume.

I'm doing that right now because I couldn't get in any better schools. I'm going to try to reapply after my masters, but I'm honestly not expecting much.

Maths is always the better option imo. You get a wider range of people who want to employ you and you can switch to almost any subject with ease since you already know all the maths behind it.

I know it's hypocritical of me to ask, but what university are you going to? And what are you doing your Master's in?

UofT. Rather not say the specific department but it's in engineering.

Also, by "internship" I meant "co-op", but I've often heard the terms used interchangeably. I realize that sometimes "internship" can refer to a shorter work term (like a single summer) and can be paid or unpaid.
So to be clear, I recommend going into a program that offers a full-year paid co-op during undergrad.

Do software engineering instead if you want to get a job. Also do co-op option.