Anyone else here #HyPEd for a new era of space exploration...

Anyone else here #HyPEd for a new era of space exploration? With this new revolution in traveled technology we can now reach Mars for a fraction of the cost. And you fools said Mars was impossible!

>0.3 mN/W
Call me next century.

Thats not how it works dumbass you dont need batteries for it.

why is everyone obsessed with this retarded-looking trumpet?

OW! EHM! GEE!

A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y
#HYPED

Good luck generating microwaves without batteries in the darkness of space.

Can someone who is both somewhat knowledgeable on the subject and isn't a semi-retarded troll actually tell me if the meme-drive is worth getting excited over yet? Last I checked it still fell within the realm of bullshit because of the lack of peer-review and unbiased research, has this changed recently?

>Last I checked it still fell within the realm of bullshit because of the lack of peer-review and unbiased research, has this changed recently?
The difference now is that it has been anointed by the NASA lab of "Random Bullshit Experimentation" (that previously brought you "FTL is not a pipe dream you guize")

My opinion about it is the following: yes, it may work, no it doesn't imply that "all of known physics is wrong". You can avoid violation of momentum by emitting photons, which can leave through the metal wall by forming out-of-phase photon pairs.
If it turns out to be the actual explanation, then it will be the least exciting thing ever and we'll have learned next to nothing. It would lead to no new science and no new tech. It's pretty probable too.

Cool, so if it works in the manner you described it's essentially a photon rocket, correct? Would it have any other advantages over existing designs for photon rockets?

I don't know, but I don't think so. As far as I can tell the only claim to fame of the EM drive is le spoopy thrust, not its efficiency.

>which can leave through the metal wall by forming out-of-phase photon pairs.
The paper that proposed that mechanism is such hadwavey bullshit that I am amazed it got published; they do a lot of talking with very little mathematical rigor and no demonstration that such pairing is even allowed within QED.

Well yeah it's speculative and the writers aren't really particle physicists. Still a possible explanation, and doesn't require momentum conservation breaking.

The big news isn't that it's a photon rocket. For one, it has significantly more thrust than a photon rocket (A photon rocket gets about 1 newton of thrust per 300MW, the latest EM Drive at the same power would produce ~90,000 newtons of thrust per 300MW). For two, the big news is that it's a "reactionless" (for certain interpretations of reactionless) form of propulsion.

Which in laymans terms means it doesn't need propellant, just electricity - and electricity is a lot easier to generate and replace than propellant is.

So if it actually works it enables the following:
Interstellar probes
"Fast" intrasolar travel (weeks/months instead of years)
"Free" station keeping and maneuvering for satellites, increasing operational lifespans by an order of magnitude (limited by component failure, rather than remaining fuel)

Theres billion of stars all over space dumbass

Uniformly illuminating all of space, right? Kys retard.

hurray!

Still only 0.1 lux in local interstellar space, a millionth of direct sunlight.
Although now I'm curious as to what acceleration our most lightweight photoelectrics could get, assuming that the weight of the EM drive is negligible.

planes can't work because air pressure isn't uniform across the globe.

that's how autistic you sound.

this is bait, right?

Think of it as an electric engine for a spaceship.

If it works, It will essentially have that effect.

explain to me this universe you live in where electromagnetic radiation is distributed in a non uniform fashion. i'll wait.

It blows my mind that you saw this image on the internet and decided to save it.

>this is why during Earth's night, it is actually daylight too.

Sir, I need some source on those thrust rates you are speaking of.

ruined the valves

>://www.sciencealert[.]com/the-impossible-em-drive-is-about-to-be-tested-in-space

Ion drives and miniature fission reactors didn't revolutionize space

This won't either

People have lost their spirit of exploration

Well if it works then thats obviously something super good, you could do a lot in space with a propellantless drive

And if it works then no doubt it'll be able to be improved

Still, we lack any decent source of electricity for space travel

>miniature fission reactors
?
sub nuclear reactors are fucking gigantic and no launch vehicle exists that could put one in orbit.

Plus all of them require extensive cooling, hows that gonna work in space?

solar electric is likely better in thrust/weight in the inner solar system though