Which engineering major did you choose and why?

Which engineering major did you choose and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k4lDfyoFgtY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

chemical engineering
it's like chemistry but employable

civil because it's a lucrative way to be average

Mechanical because I like to suck cocks.

Electrical because money is like pokemons for grown ups

mechanical & energy because:
>oldest discipline
>most applicable to the world around me
>alternative energies
>nuclear power
>HVAC, plumbing, and welding

>cropped

wtf

Mechanical Engineering so I can design my future Hayabusa MUTHAFUCKA, TUNE UP FOR THEM TREE-FITY HIGHWAY POPS.

youtube.com/watch?v=k4lDfyoFgtY

Electrical because when I did circuits in hs shit just made sense.

However for a career, software engineering because they offered me 80k before I even started my senior year.

Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering (Comp Sci combined degree).

I like computers.

I don't get these

>engineering experimentation
what sort of memery is this

Electrical, because it's more robotics based.

Metallurgy because my country's only decent work is mining shit

The worst part is you'll never get to use all this wonderful math you learned once you graduate.

>software engineering
>this kills the user's soul

I might go to grad school for civil engineering, serve the people m8. The idea of designing a new iphone for the disgusting bourgeosie to sell to the zombified masses sets off my inner Zizek.

There was a time where I seriously considered going Mechanical just so I could become an amazing tuner

Micro-engineering
Because watches

I'm hoping to learn something which might help me, mechanical just seemed to feed into my hobbies.

Why would someone who isn't a child have these expectations?

>Aerospace

Because I thought it would be cool to be a "rocket scientist"

Now realise its just mech eng with some gay cfd thrown in. 4 years of my life wasted.

Mechanical
I i dont like circuits or concrete very much, but I want to work in stem. Thermodynamics it is!

>Now realise its just mech eng with some gay cfd thrown in.

I'm sorry to hear that user..

But what study would you pick then if you could rewind the time? (i wanted to study the same thing)

Shit, that sucks man...

I'd also like to know what you'd do instead.

>all this wonderful math
>all this

you mean taylor expansion? because thats literally the answer to every engineering problem.

right after numerical methods, yes

Personality types by engineering major

>Mechanical
gear heads and other assorted bro-dudes

>Electrical
smelly autistic nerds that are probably taking a CS minor

>Chemical
Chemists that didn't want to be unemployable, but still bitch about the lack of jobs outside the oil and gas industry. lesbians.

>Civil/Environmental
athletes, hippies, and those kids who already have a job lined up at dads construction company

>Aerospace
muh speshul snowflake degree that sounds sexy but actually isnt

>Mining/Petroleum
literally just here for the money. mining guys in particular are fucking weirdo's. high amount of homosex.

>Nuclear
masochists who love taking it up the ass from the DoE

>industrial
used car salesmen that just want the engineering title

>niche stuff like biomedical/mechatronic
literally manchildren who can't see past the words on the degree

> dynamic systems
> SUVAT equations
> fixed coordinate frames
what shit school did you end up at?

Eh, I interned there and I liked the job well enough. SE totally depends on what you're working on. I find it more satisfying than running SPICE simulations and talking down to technicians all day long, at least.

>Chemical
>lesbians
Oddly accurate.

Mechanical. I wanted to build Gundams.

Won't get my Gundams so prosethtics work it is. I eventually don't want to have a human body and live on forever with my conciousness backed up to servers.

>Chemical engineering
>Having anything to actually do with chemistry

not even once. nice try, pipelord

You are just a glorified plumber

Metallurgical Engineering

It is such a huge field and there is barely any competition because only a handful of schools have ABET accredited metallurgy programs in the states. I also find it incredibly interesting so that's a plus. Right now im working under a professor who is developing armor for the army. He is putting me as co-author on the papers that will come out of this.

Materials Engineering with metallurgical electives
because i love it

nuclear, because it sounded the coolest. now i'm a physicist

how's physics compared to nucleareng ?

i'm in industry, so I don't do anything particularly complicated yet, but I may have to go back to school for a masters in medical physics, because my boss said he's got me on a career track to become a staff physicist. but it's basically what i imagined engineering as being, and what the engineers do makes me glad i didn't get a job as an engineer.

Mechanical.

Did engineering because my parents told me to.
Went into the meche/mate/aeroe department because I am indecisive and the first two years are exactly the same.
Started in aero because I thought submarines were cool.
Finished in meche because I didn't want to be stuck in the political quagmire that is aero.
If I coulda switched I would have done EE, because I ended up in robotics and ME robotics is underfunded (all the fun breakthroughs are in EE and CpE, with control theory, machine vision, etc., whereas breakthroughs in ME are stuff like flexible robots, and some dynamical theory, which is better served by mathematicians)

I actually kinda like my major. I think classical mechanics is cool beans, and I can study a bit of continuum mechanics and not just get stuck with fluids.

so i take it that engineers stack papers and sign documents or even worse, where you work. That's not really encouraging

>and I can study a bit of continuum mechanics and not just get stuck with fluids.

mah nigga. you been doing any modeling in ANSYS?

not him, but thats pretty much all engineers. burden of liability and whatnot.

they get called in to diagnose remedy equipment malfunctions and do CAD work and stuff, from what I've seen.
though i will say i actually accepted an offer to join lockheeds compact fusion R&D team with an aero engr title, but they rescinded the offer a few weeks later for "restructuring" probably needed the money for a more expensive professor/researcher, since theyre expanding the team from 6 to 25 or so people. sucks since that was my dream job, aside from working at LLNL. but you can def find engr jobs that are dull as shit or awesome research gigs, just depends on where you go

Nope, haven't done much modelling since undergrad. Sometimes I get to read fun papers though about curvature vibrations breaking spaghetti or fiber bundles describing the shape of ponytails.
I want to get more into granular physics, like snow and sand dunes, but I haven't found any cool books.

One of the labs I visited though was doing kinematics of flexible bodies to develop steerable needle robots. That's what really got me into continua

^ Came into the thread to post this

same.

Heavy regrets, the curriculum is hard as fuck and I'm pretty much always depressed.

What retard thinks like this?

>If I coulda switched I would have done EE, because I ended up in robotics and ME robotics is underfunded (all the fun breakthroughs are in EE and CpE, with control theory, machine vision, etc., whereas breakthroughs in ME are stuff like flexible robots, and some dynamical theory, which is better served by mathematicians)

I'm in Europe so maybe it's different here, but that's exactly what a *proper* Mechatronics degree is for. It's not exactly full EE or CS, but it gives a good amount of EE with Power Electronics + Systems theory and Control theory + a bit CE/CS (AI/Optimization stuff).
Less fluids though. It's also good if you get an msc because it can still give you knowledge and that's where real complex shit comes in.

Yes, I know people it's interdisciplinary so it must be a meme, but I think you simply have to learn more in the same time if you wanna git gud.

As an ME I think you could do your msc in mechatronics though. Look it up, m8.

I've been floating around research for a while now.
Had an offer to do PhD in EE for machine vision (which I know fuck all about)

Mechatronics in the US is a meme degree. It's not that hard to switch fields, so getting an interdisciplinary degree is kinda silly.
Everyone in my (EE) department is either CpE or EE, except for me. They end up playing with low level electronics or studying lenses (which isn't taught in any of the degrees I've mentioned, besides materials here).

tl;dr: a lot of people switch around and just learn the specifics for what they're working on.

That's kinda nice.
>Mechatronics in the US is a meme degree.
Yeah, that's kinda happens here too, that's why I wrote proper. Well rounded degrees are rare in mechatro., the other kind is very specialized like optomechatronics or biomechatronics.

It's not that bad if you want to do systems engineering type stuff or you want to be some kind of jack of trades and specialize "on your own"/later (which might easily mean that you're going to shit bricks.)

The other stuff to do is EE as it's also one of the most versatile degrees around here too. Most of the advanced stuff to do as an EE is usually rf, optics, semiconductors, sensors and control stuff, maybe even mems these days.

(It's seems to me like ME is now in a kind of support role for a lot of cool shit compared to EE/CS which controls whatever cool shit you can think of. Unless we talk about more traditional stuff or materials.)

Good luck to you, m8!

Computer.

I watched too many cyberpunk movies as a kid. I've wanted to work with electronics and programming all my life.

>Mining/Petroleum
>literally just here for the money.
How did he know

Chemical engineering.
I enjoyed chemistry in high school and didn't know what I was in for.

still better than no job

>didn't know what I was in for.
Was it 'why can't I hold all these pipes' tier?

Honestly...probably computer science/software engineering.

That's where the money is, and I enjoyed the coding classes I did take

NukE

i want to study engineering, which field should I go into? i like electricity and circuits but i dont want to also do computer engineering.

>mfw my old project manager graduated as a ChemE from Rutgers
>couldn't find a job and ended up being stuck doing industrial hygiene for the next 10 years
>remember he always told me to do anything related to medical instead of engineering

shitpost away fellas

buying a mig/tig welder and learning how to weld well would teach you much more for your hobby than a MechE degree, trust me. most MechEs havent even worked on a fucking car let alone know how they work and this is why i'm entirely unsurprised when a car is more difficult than average to work in

>i like electricity and circuits
electrical engineering you go

Electrical Engineers are the coolest

>doing software engineering
>looking for summer jobs
>every single place seems to just want codemonkeys to "code an app" for them
I fucking hate phones.
Why can't this fad just die already? I fucking hate apple and google for polluting my field with this bullshit.
I guess I'm just going to do paid research for my university again.

comp eng

cause ppl told me to take it.

honestly would prefer to take pure math but I think comp eng is the most mathy engineering discipline. EECE ofc.

>Theoretical and Applied Mechanics

I do more intense math and shit like that. Zero application training. Zero design training. I have been absolutely useless to anyone outside my material science minor. My senior design has been a tragedy so far. Stay away from TAM. TAM is pain.

seriously tho

what the fuck is heat and how do refrigerators work kek

i chose civil but im going back to school for comp sci

i realize now that engineering is wagecuck life and the only way to make real money is being an entrepreneur (easiest with software, cuz costs fuck all money to start other than ur labor) or going into finance; you know, using math to literally get the highest return possible on your time and money.

Computer Informatiom Systems
I don't make that much money but very little effort for $70k/year is nice.

>tfw CIS scum

If you do ee dont expect to do circuits design. That's passed off to the pajeets these days

excuse me you're not designing the iphone. you're designing iOS. save the designing to computer engineers

Aerospace, because planes are pretty

Gotta decide which one to choose soon but have no idea and have no preferences really. Which one would you say has the best prospects for a solid career?

how many hours a week do you have to work?

Networked systems engineering

Cos networks and shit

U engineers pay attention this the enspections falt they have too be held responsible 4 our safety and eye have bean left holding the bag since the week of sept 11 also new York have a tail gait meeting 4 our safety as humans god bless this mess we as humans heads shall. Roll my thoughts my mouth great day yankess edmonton oil capitol my Asses

>get into uni for EE because I find it interesting
>start briefly browsing Veeky Forums like I sometimes do when I get bored of my usually visited boards
>whenever EE is mentioned, everyone always says it's good if you want to make dosh
are the memes true? I had no idea EE jobs were that well paid

Yeah dude? They make probably the most besides like chemical or petroleum...

Except it isn't you on those servers, it's a digital clone. Go with a mechanical body and organic brain instead.

I'm not a manchildren, it was just too late when I realized my mistake

>Oldest discipline
It's actually military and that's a fact.

>Electro-mechanical
I like things that move

holy balls engineering is gay

Electrical engineering is really hard, user. They're paid well.

I would never stand in a faraday cage that small. What if I sneezed?

I'm in my senior year of Computer Engineering.
I want to work on embedded systems. I was EE at first, but a lot of electives I wanted to take (Operating Systems, Computer HW & Organization, etc.) didn't count for EE credits. Pretty much the same degree, I take all the same core classes as EE majors. To be honest, I don't even know why CE exists. Seems like you should be able to choose a kind of "focus" for a EE degree if you want to be a power generation guy or digital/computer dude.

underrated post

Even if you touched the cage you would be alright, since the current flows through the outside of the cage, not the inside.

70k a year for most people is fucking tight, I dont know how much experience you have though

Environmental because I actually want to make a difference for the future of this planet. Deal with it.

Environmental because I didn't realize how much chemistry was involved or that it's just cleaning up people's literal shit.

Care to elaborate? Why was it a mistake?

I could do that but i would have to find a way to suspend a brain in an emvironment that would both nourish yet not degrade the brain.

Engineering Experimentation = National Instruments Employee

>Mechanical
>Electrical
>Chemical
>Civil/Environmental

I have no idea about the rest, but how the fuck are you so spot on about all these?

I'm a student who works in aerospace manufacturing right now and have to interact with the various engineers sometimes. Anyway, you've somehow managed to hit the nail on the head with those.

Computer Engineering because I want to design drones.

>neet for 5years
>decide I'll do engineering before I kill myself
>go into mechanical engineering
>ask tutor whats his suggested pathway into doshmaking
>tells me to go into civil and get into structural engineering or water/waste
any opinions/thoughts on structural engineering?

EE / Telecommunications because I got to learn shit about audio, electronics, wireless data transmission and signal processing. I've always been interested in this shit.
> how do computers work
> why do they work like they do
> how do I mod my guitar / FX pedals
> how can X devices use the same medium for data transmission without crosstalk (several internet connections over 1 telephone line, several cell phone calls over the air in the same cell etc)
I also like that you learn about hardware and software that's used in these applications, not just one of them.
Good chance of landing a decent job, regular hours / flextime and decent income are the cherry on top but I'd do this shit if it paid minimum wage as well.

mechanical because i love to work with my hands. Suffice to say the opportunity has only come twice.

Can you be a little more... coherent?

>useless majorfag ended up as welder
>love welding but was starting to regret not getting in engineering
>read this thread
>feel a lot better

Thank you Veeky Forums

I'm a scrawny lil cunt who is socially crippled, how well will I fit into the class, I'm also moving countries (inter-eu)?

Fuck, forgot to mention I'll do either mechanical or el., also I'm starting to workout and will probably put some muscle in half a year before the uni starts? Also I'm not THAT socially crippled actually, I'm just super shy. But I'm a cool guy. I'm cool, trust me. Cmon.