Yellowstone Scares me

Why is there Magma?

Also I've heard yellowstone is overdue for eruption. Is there anything we can do to stop it? And does that mean it can blow at anytime? And if so, how far away do you have to be to be safe?

>Erupt at any time
Yes
>Where I have to be to not die?
Completely outside the United States, if possible, on another continent, but even if it would be a devastating blow to humanity, if that happened just today moriria estimated 70-90% of humanity, but do not worry, which shows no sign of that happening, at least not in a margin of 100 years

Is there anyway to stop it, and if it's overdue how can you tell if it's not going to happen for a long time?

Currently, no. There is no way to stop it. The magma chamber underneath the caldera is so huge and complex, no technology we have could depressurize it.

As an addendum, we would have warning sings before an eruption - most likely on the matter of weeks. It would hopefully be enough for a large scale evacuation. But even then we're still pretty fucked. I think I remember hearing that 75% of the continental US would be covered in ash - and the "nuclear winter" would last for years, killing off a vast majority of the worlds agriculture.

You would be safe on the coasts, just you'd get some ash. Right?

Oh yeah - one last thing. Crystallized, microscopic bits of fractured minerals (fractured Quartz I believe) would permeate the atmosphere for thousands of miles - this would make its way into the lungs of anything that breathes and slowly suffocate them.

You'd have that to look forward to as well.

Yeah - until you either starved to death or suffocated.

Right, it is believed that before the eruption abrian small earthquakes along the whole boiler, with 2 weeks of overtaking, "stronges" earthquakes (5-7 richter scale) But I repeat, do not worry, it's something that if it were to happen we will not realize, and the probability is minimal (in 100 years).

Dude, no one on earth would truly be safe from the fallout of a supervolcanic eruption. The famine it would cause alone would be catastrophic.

In no time I said I would not be catastrophic, of course I would, what I mean is that there is likely to erupt in 100 years or less.

>> Is there anything we can do to stop it?
no
>> And does that mean it can blow at anytime?
yes
>>how far away do you have to be to be safe?
there is no escape.

There have been a number of extreme seismic at yellowstone, I'd say we only have about a month or so until it all goes down. I'd recommend having sex till you die or killing yourself, whichever floats your boat really

>/pol/

>I'd say we only have about a month or so until it all goes down
Sentences like that have been uttered countless times. Of course it will "go down" at some point without fail, just as our economies and populations will implode eventually in a catastrophic manner, but without unprecedented evidence, be aware how probable your prediction really is.

dammit I make an /x/tier post and people try to send me to /pol/
4:05:43 pm October 11th, 2016, on the dot
When it happens, the magma shitstorm occurs and magmamen will take over the earth.

Could people on the coast survive if they stock piled food and just lived in their basements. And will there be internet? We have a generator so we'll have tv, just not sure about internet.

No. You need 500 years worth of food, not to mention plenty of ice bullets to kill the swarms of magmamen

There's no such thing as magamen.

This is the projection.

Nuclear winter caused by a Yellowstone eruption could the the ONLY thing to halt the runaway global warming process which is already out of our control. It would also fertilize the land with rich volcanic ash. It'd be hell on earth for a few years but after that pure prosperity for all mankind. Might be the best thing that happens this century.

Exactly, magamen are a lie told by the government to distract from the issue of magmamen.
What this projection fails to take into account is the spread of magmamen. They'll make it all the way to the coasts, then they'll make pumice boats and take over the world.

I think you are underestimating the importance of magmamen. Magmamen will burn everything, all the trees, houses, plants, newspapers, everything. Sure the global ash layer will hold warming off for a bit, but once the ash falls, we'll get the runaway greenhouse effect because all of the biosphere's carbon will be in the air. Then earth will be venus, the perfect home for magmamen

What would happen to the magmamen if a volcano made of lava collided with a volcano made of ice?

We'd have bigger problems to worry about than magmamen. Musing on such questions is a pointless distraction from the magmamen threat.

I say we'd have bigger problems, because the nearest volcano made of ice is on Ceres. Putting Ceres on a collision course with Earth is something we should only do as a last resort if we can't defeat the magmamen

What if we injected massive gargantuan amounts of liquid hydrogen into the ground right into the hot spots? Could that solve the problem? Or what f dumped gigantic amounts of water on the area to essentially make a large lake to help keep the ash at bay?

We'd need way too much liquid hydrogen to freeze all the magmamen.
>> water
Despite my requests to yellowstone officials to build a giant dam to flood the caldera, I have repeatedly been rejected. Reasons given are that 'it would be bad for tourism,' 'where would we even get the water', and 'magmamen aren't real.' Obviously, a dam larger than any ever made would be a tremendous tourist attraction and magmamen are very real.

Yellowstone park officials are clearly in league with the magmamem

ITT: we forget that magmamen are magnanimous.

Do you even English?

Not to mention the goddam refugees. Mexico is laughing now, but it's going to shut the fuck up when the flow of human traffic goes the other way.

If yellowstone were to erupt would we get a warning?

nitrogen not hydorgen.

That would be even worse, liquid nitrogen has less cooling power