Can we get a St. John's thread going?

Can we get a St. John's thread going?

I'll be attending the school in about a month and would love to hear from some past/current/prospective johnnies.

Anything I should be reading this summer to prepare besides the illiad and ancient greek textbook?

Also, anything to keep in mind as a "mature" student? I'm in my early twenties, and I'm a little concerned about my age being an issue. I will be living off campus, and plan on making friends with other older students/grad students if I can.

Other urls found in this thread:

sjc.edu/blog/st-johns-review/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Check out the school's journal, the SJC Review:

sjc.edu/blog/st-johns-review/

Very good and interesting stuff on all sorts of topics and authors. Take a look at one or two of the earliest and then maybe the most recent one at least.

Thanks so much! Reading it now

Bump.

oh hey more trust fund babbies

>Grad students
Pseud detected

Which campus?

Dude, don't hang out with the grad students. They never do anything together and will have no idea what you're talking about. The undergrad program is the real deal and it's like speaking a different language talking to the grad students. On the whole they are more wiggy, arrogant, and stupid than the undergrads. They are way lower on the school's priorities list than the undergrads and the tutors don't care about them nearly as much as they do the undergrads. It's two completely different worlds.

I had lots of friends that were in their early 20s when I was a freshman. They walked around like they had big dicks for a few weeks and we looked up at them in awe for a while and then things equaled out and everything was perfectly normal. Just don't act older or younger than you are and everything will be fine. You'll be a lot sharper than a lot of the kids and have an immediate air of authority when you get there, but don't let it go to your head. Go to the parties and shit. Those events are for everyone and there will no doubt be other 20 somethings for you to meet.

You're all literally nothing.

>he completed undergrad

Do you understand what St. Johns is? Are you familiar with the concept of a LAC?

one of the most interesting people i know goes to the Santa Fe campus, says most people are idiots and can't find intellectual equals except for a few professors and upperclassmen.

seems like a great program if you can commit yourself to it

what is this person like? how did you meet them?

Sounds like one of those annoying cunts that gets kicked out at the end of sophomore year for being a wordy prick in class. The tutors at St. John's don't give a damn about people who feel that they are lacking "intellectual equals."

there are some people who are smarter than everyone else, believe it or not

You don't get far at St. John's treating everyone else like they're idiots. As a rule never trust anyone who says they "can't find intellectual equals." It's the surest sign of that special kind of stupidity which is not exclusive of intelligence.

where did that person say they treat everyone stupid? Does Usain Bolt sprint everywhere?

Literally in the post that started this. You say that he says most people are idiots.

i think most people are stupid but everyone likes me

Is this like uni for tryhard WASPs or something?

It's different at a school built around 20-person seminar classes drawing from the same 70 people you'll see for the next four years. The spirit of elitism is really dangerous in that kind of environment. The successful way to do the program is to be attentive and charitable during conversations and take lots of perspectives into account. It becomes very obvious very quickly who looks down on other people on the basis of "intelligence" in this setting. I knew dozens of brilliant people at the school, but they were more admirable because of their patience and openness to all the twists and turns of the conversations there.

Anyway, it's not about being liked. It's about advancing ideas without dominating people with them.

So why can't I just read everything on their curriculum independently and save 200 grand?

let's say he/shes doing very well (objectively, in many metrics) in the eyes of their tutors and peers without any specifics, without being pretentious or arrogant about it. we're close and I don't attend the school myself and it's conceivable that when they say these things, it's not malicious.

can't say much for the school as I never went there, I did, however, go to the high school just down the street, and had many run-ins with the students, all seemed super into the classics for some reason.

Bump

santa fe or annapolis? im going to santa fe, hype hype.

discussing it raises the level at which you understand it. st johns provides generous financial aid, as well. the environment is an intellectual environment.