If the universe is infinite, then there are an infinite amount of intelligent species in the universe

If the universe is infinite, then there are an infinite amount of intelligent species in the universe.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8GEebx72-qs
youtu.be/eQW_nF7DNV0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If there are infinitely many integers, then there are an infinite amount of number ones in the integers.

Its not though so there aren't

In theory yes.

there also can be infinite distance between us and them.

I have an infinite series of even numbers.
There are no odd numbers in this series.

Infinite does not mean every possibility is necessarily included.

We are in the set that contains intelligent species.

------->point

your head

You're the one getting whooshed dummybrain. :^)

This is great. I was looking for an analogy like this to explain. Thanks

oh it is that meme argument again

Universe being infinite doesn't imply there's an infinity of shite to do galaxies with in it.

If we assume it is infinite and that the principle of relativity is true, then this indeed implies that there is an infinite amount of certain stuff.

Intredasting, how do you derive that?

If I roll a die and infinite number of times, then how many times would you expect me to roll a 6?

You don't actually know what the principle of relativity is, do you?

This. If you ascribe to the big bang then you know the universe is expanding not infinite

>expanding not infinite
>implying those are contradictory
wew

Do you?
Because it seems like you cant refute anything here and just want to be snarky

Nothing you said had anything to do with Lorentz invariants.
Stop pretending, fucking popsci fag.

So you cant refute anything. You bring up no point at all. Have fun, shitposter

>popsci brainlet is now fully triggered
I can't wait to see your "proof by dice" in PRL

>proof by dice
Actually this wasnt a proof, I was explaining a simple concept to a brainlet by using an even simpler analogy. It didnt work since said brainlet seems very confused and goes full /b/

>this wasnt a proof
Let me guess, the proof is in your other fedora?

That's pretty cool.
All these You's are mine.

s
v

Not only that but everything would exist infinitely, including yourself

youtu.be/8GEebx72-qs

Take a really big number then keep incrementing it, it's still a limit that is constantly increasing but it's not infinite

>I can't grasp an idea as simple as expansion
kys brainlet

>Humans keep being born therefore there's an infinite number of humans therefore there's an infinite number of me

That's why the statement is bullshit brainlet

No, the statement is stupid because the universe expanding has nothing to do with it being finite or not.

>therefore there's an infinite number of me

But that's true

It was a comparison where humans are the equivalent to say a galaxy, just because that number keeps expanding doesn't mean it's infinite, and just because there are 7 billion humans and that number is expanding doesn't mean there an infinite number of me, where is this meme of an infinite universe coming from?

>If the universe is infinite, then there are an infinite amount of intelligent species in the universe.

This isn't statistically correct.

;)

How can the universe be infinitely expanding if it came from a point? Doesnt something infinite in size not have a size? Was the universe just infinitely small prior to the big bang?

You're decribing inflation not the Bg Bang

Nice trips

Jesus you're a moran.

Ok, i'll break it down for you nice and slow, so try and keep up ok?

For all intensive purposes, let's imagine the universe as a giant baloon. Simple.

Inside this baloon is infinitely many smaller baloons which are expanding and contracting with string theory ascribed space foam. It's almost magical.

We can assume that each baloon is a galaxy in the overall big baloon universe. Incredible.

The big baloon expands infinitely, causing the smaller baloons to expand as well. That's the beauty of physics.

Now imagine you pop the big baloon. Ok? What happens to the little baloons inside? They become a singularity, and evaporate into forming their own universe. Why? Because string theory is based on multiple dimensions above the third, and the universe is not three dimensional. It could be anything.

Therefore we can assume that there are infinitely many intelligent lifeforms on each baloon because each baloon is an universe with infinitely many smaller baloons in it. We just don't know.

This is due to string theory, which says the smallest things are tiny vibrating strings which come in and out of existence. Wow.

So when a baloon is lost, a string takes its place. Allowing us to assume there are infinitely many sentient lifeforms. Simply amazing.

Not hard, was it?

>string theory ascribed space foam
stopped reading there.

Implying the conditions so far observed within the currently human observable section of the universe are a constant throughout the universe. We already know that conditions observable at specific times from earth are not necessarily universal constants, or else every solar system would posses a planet capable with an atmosphere capable of supporting human life as it is.

a planet with an atmosphere capable...*

Alright, this is my last attempt at coherently communicating my thoughts.

Implying the conditions so far observed within the currently human observable section of the universe are a constant throughout the universe. We already know that conditions observable at specific times from earth are not necessarily universal constants, or else every solar system would posses a planet with an atmosphere capable of supporting human life as both human life and said current planet/atmosphere are.

Inflation happened AFTER the big bang.

>If the universe is infinite
Proof?

What the fuck is this shit? I hope you don't have anything to do with physics or engineering or math or anything STEM for that matter.

it is satire

[math] \alpha [/math]

>picture of chink science man
>intensive purposes
>we just don't know
For God's sake, learn how to recognise jokes.

If there are infinitely many integers, then there are an infinite amount of number dividable by a trillion

Yes, and? An infinite set does not imply there'd be an infinite amount of stuff with some property, but for some property there may be infinitely many elements.

No there cant. If they exists and we exist the distance between us is always finite. Retardedly vast maybe, but finite.

His point was that we may live in an "universe that realised possibility of: only one intelligent species exist".

You were too specific in thinking about his metaphor, but don't worry, those things happen when you are brainlet.

Assuming you are right about there being infinitely much stuff, how does that imply the existence of intelligent life other than us, life other than bacteria et al.?

I think this is why the principle of relativity is important in that statement too. We have no good reason to conclude, that live is unique. Since there is the same matter and the same set of rules everywhere, it is only a question of composition, timing and overall probability.

Interestellar

>Since there is the same matter
you still haven't showed why this is a consequence of the principle of relativity

It could be that entropy goes to infinity in all direction, which would imply the existence of an entropy minimum somewhere, and we would be located somewhere near that minimum. In that case the life-allowing region of space would be limited.

Yes, indeed there is no good reason to think life is unique, but, as number one implies, infinity does not imply multitude either. What should be said is "it is very probable that there are other planets with life on them" than to say "there is life somewhere out there". Here I mean living things with more than one cell, since otherwise this would be completely false. And one more thing to add, I believe there is life somewhere out there, but I can not logically conclude it, so I stick to saying it's probable.

>tfw schizophrenia-induced rambling wasted a minute of my time

are you retarded?

youtu.be/eQW_nF7DNV0

The universe is not infinite but there is other life out there.

Life developed completely on its own on earth from just liquid water and a few key elements swimming around and forming chains that kept duplicating themselves until they became cells and shit.

It's highly likely that, if other lifeforms exist on planets, they would use similar systems as earth-life; such as calories, muscles, nervous systems, DNA analogs, reproduction and so on.

With the absolute mass ridiculous scale of the universe; billion galaxies with a billion stars each or whatever carl sagan stuff you want to say, the idea that life uniquely only exists on Earth is ridiculous.

The much less stupid question, and far more interesting question is can and will we ever meet them?

there are, just not in the set.

Since we still haven't replicated abiogenesis we can't rightly say exactly how probable it is to happen spontaneously, then you have to divide that number by the frequency of habitable planets that are orbiting a star in its habitable range.
If the universe is infinite then these numbers mean nothing, but if it's finite then it will depend which number is bigger and by how much.
We can observe that the universe is expanding, but all we have to work with is the observable universe. What if all the galaxies we can see revolve around some kind of super-galaxy, and then what if there are more super-galaxies outside of it that all revolve around something even bigger?

they could also be infinity close to us

There could be one inside you right now!

We're here to get gold. That's it.

Species are distinct from one another

but user isn't the fact that tehre are no duplicate in the set of natural number due to an axiom?

so fuck you and your stupid analogy. Universe doesn't work like that either.

nope, if I say all the aliens are at the edge of the universe.

if we assume the universe is infinite it wouldn't exist in the first place faggot, the gravity will just crush everything everywhere.

If [thing i dont understand]
is [another thing i dont understand]
then [i can just conclude anything].

Science!

I love threads like this so much I'ma bump this one. Carry on!

please stay in school

not an argument
seems like you're the one who doesnt understand shit

3======> 8
My dick Your ass

integers aren't homogenous, but the universe is assumed to be