Should I study physics at uni?

I've seen this question a few times, but fuck, I can't decide.

I live in Sweden and would be studying in Lund. It's completely free so the "tuition farm" meme doesn't really apply.

Anyway, I'm pretty interested in physics. I just love learning about how the universe works. It's so satisfying to learn how math can describe the universe so accurately. However, lab work to me is pretty boring. Solving physics problems in books is also pretty boring. Discovering new things seems incredible, if it's something significant. Most physics research seems so boring. Working with gravitational waves and the LHC and similar seems very interesting. To do any of that I would need a Ph.D., and I'm not sure that kind of life is for me, dedicating your life to science. I am also unsure if I'm smart enough for it.

The other thing I'm considering is Aerospace engineering, which also interests me a lot. I like creating things, so engineering seems interesting. Working with rockets and seeing them launch seems incredible. Designing airplanes also seems interesting. But I realize it's really hard to get a job at NASA, Boeing or SpaceX or something. I'm also interested in CS, but getting a degree in CS seems kinda useless. I'm a decent programmer already, so I would take a lot of useless classes.

Reading this, do you think I should go for physics? Any advice is appreciated.

If you only want to study physics because you like understandig how the universe works, i would recommend studing maths with a physics minor. That schould avoid the labwork, whilst giving you the full theoretical physics perspective

nice idea
will do

You should study theology so you can best serve your muslim overlords.

>If you only want to study physics because you like understandig how the universe works, i would recommend studing maths with a physics minor.
This. I graduated in Physics and you don't really understand shit about how things work. You need mathematics for that.

>I'm a decent programmer already, so I would take a lot of useless classes.
CS skilt från programmering. I introkurser till programmering så går man längre än klasser, metoder, konstanta medlemmar etc. Är du bekväm med hur polymorfiskt arv, generiska typer och kombinationer av dessa beter sig i särskila situationer eller komplexitetsanalys av rekursiva funktioner så kan du förstås argumentera för att _introkursen_ är onödig...

Teknisk Fysik / Teknisk Matematik är bra. Datavetenskap / Informationsteknik är också bra m.a.p arbetsmarknaden men inte för fysikforskning (säger sig självt). Du gör dig själv en björntjänst om du rationaliserar bort CS eftersom att du är en, i eget tycke, hygglig programmerare.

I am going for physics.

Pluggade natur på gymnasiet, vill läsa teknisk fysik eller rymdfysik. Jag råder dig till att göra det, om du gillar matte. För även om du kommer på sen att du inte vill jobba med fysik så är en civilingenjörs utbildning otroligt mycket värd oavsett, både här och utomlands. Främst utomlands skulle jag nog till och med säga.

slute suga pikk xddd

Hej lillebror.

>Solving physics problems in books is also pretty boring
Don't do a degree in physics then

>To do any of that I would need a Ph.D., and I'm not sure that kind of life is for me, dedicating your life to science. I am also unsure if I'm smart enough for it.
Then don't study physics, because you won't be able to do anything with your degree and you won't really delve into the topics that interest you. What would you like to dedicate your life to?

>Solving physics problems in books is also pretty boring.
Don't do physics.

If you want to study physics, I STRONGLY suggest doing a mathematics major (bachelo with minor physics, or a physics bachelor parallel) and THEN going for a physics Master and Ph.D. (maybe even consider a mathematics/mathematical physics Master)
Otherwise you WILL lack mathematical knowlege later on which might/can/will be quite depressing to dig into hard mathematics again.

CS (at least here in Germany) is like 10% about programming so maybe don't be so narrow minded about that one.

Engineering can be fucking fun but most of them will end up at a dead end desk job with nearly 0% responsibility, which might make you decent money but also be pretty depressing.

Seriously besides getting your doctorate and being a physicist or some shit what can you do with a bachelors in physics ? Genuinely curious...

Getting a Master's degree in physics

tfw my uni has an exchange program with Lund and to go there for a semester I literally have to pay to go there. In Sweden. Where I was born. Fucking money gougers

If you wanna understand anything, do a Theoretical Physics course.
If you don't want to experiment, so a Theoretical Physics Course.
Do you see what you need to do?

There's no harm in trying to study physics and then quitting. You should be prepared to go for a PhD in physics or any other science in general since that's usually necessary so you can find a job in that field.
You also probably won't ever make a groundbreaking discovery unless you are very lucky, that's just how it is it all comes down to luck.
You should just be prepared for a lot of maths, and I mean a lot. The first semester in physics will require maths beyond of what you ever saw in your life.
From my experience studying physics in not rewarding in a way where you put in a lot of work and get a lot out of it and it's very frustrating, but you will very quickly realise if you actually like physics or only liked the idea of physics. So go for it and if you don't like it change subjects since you will have a way better idea about everything at university once you actually started studying.

Now that the em drive was proven to be working, physics will have to be completely rewritten so you'd better study something else.

I was like you a few years back. If I had to do it again I'm not sure I would. I'd probably chose some easier and more marketable field, and read interesting books on my free time.

The best advice I can give you if you still want to pursue physics studies, is to not "rest on your laurels" and think you're the shit 'cause you've got decent grades.

The way I see it retrospectively, uni just learned me how to pass physics exams. I'm exaggerating ofc, but pls don't take the easy route, you may realize too late that you wasted years basically lying to yourself.

Interested in this too

If you want a job I would recommend software engineering. If you are genuinely interested in physics and have an aptitude in it, then go for that instead. Solving physics on a piece of paper is boring, but once you get into computer simulations, it can be pretty fun.

>physics