Veeky Forums Writing Ring

Are any of you interested in joining a ring of writers and working on an online magazine / literary journal? There are currently five of us but applications are still open, we are looking for people with experimental styles, and also planning to do 'jam' writing projects in the vein of TLOTIAT or Hypersphere (although obviously we are not going to be working on anything of a comparable length for the time being).

We will potentially be expanding into short story collections or novellas given time, however this is completely dependent on how well our magazines are recieved, so for now that is our main focus.

If you are interested then please fill out this application including a

Also I have sent out emails to all successful applicants that submitted before this thread was made.

Here is something written by a member to give you an idea of what you can expect

Your """magazine""" is shit.

It doesnt exist yet

How many times will these threads be renewed, will it be a weekly thing?

semi-regular threads until we have a decent number of people and then we will take a break from threads to put together the first magazine before making more

bump desu

Several of my friends and I are starting something similar, though we're all in university, so if you're not that's different.

Is the short story section asking for a yes or no?

you paste in a short story that is 1000 characters or less in length

Gravity's Rainbow only has 400 characters and it's a pretty long story.

Why wouldn't you just set up an attachment. Why are you specifically asking for a short story

the point is to see who can make something good within strict limitations

Ok, but, why a short story?

because it is not a writing ring for poets or writers of non fiction

what kind of fiction are you guys looking for? How do you examine the submissions, as in what features do you look for?

Don't understand the point of that. As long as it's short, why does it matter?
Why would you not be interested in experimental non fiction?
Seems like a silly, limited project.

anything vaguely experimental, generally writing with some kind of weird prosaic quality to it. Not interested in how good a plot you can craft within 1000 characters or anything like that, it's more about having a style that sticks out.

you can submit experimental non fiction if you sincerely believe it will fit in a magazine with stuff like this and i will read it with an open mind

you could submit a experimental non-fiction, no one would know it wasn't fiction.

Isn't this one a meme?
I like the other two, though

I'm interested Op.
I'm actually a big name in contemporary writing and am often discussed here. I'll trade you my weight for a blowy.

What kinds of things do you guys read / like. I'll probably submit but I'd also like for you to paint me a clearer picture of what it is you're trying to do. Basically I'm worried you're a bunch of try-hard neets, prove me wrong senpai.

hmm I think this is a bit lame. Are you just trying to see if you can write difficult ye olde' prose or not? Also what's with the apostrophe on nicklodeon's?

The emphasis on "style" kinda says everything t b h

Writing something coherent and effective is hard. Easier to just churn out lolrandom stream of consciousness. Since the majority of people don't give a fuck, you can still achieve the marginal hipster elite aesthetic, but with less effort than it takes to be genuinely innovative.

;)

I'd have a couple essays to contribute.

> If you are interested then please fill out this application including a

I get it.

Especially with a thousand words.

I submitted a couple of edited paragraphs I contributed to the Dreamscape collaborative project last night while tripping on xanax. 1000 characters are more than I thought

Characters

Post your essays

O.p, could you give a quick, rudimentary definition of what "experimental" means to you? The word can mean a lot of different things to different people. Is it restricted to experimental prose like the example you gave or is a conceptually experimental story with convential prose acceptable to you?

Your little google form counts characters, not words, you fuck tard. How you expect anyone's voice to ring through with 1000 characters is beyond me. And don't hand me no "muh Kafka muh Hemingway muh legendary GOAT microfiction bullshit." Any short piece you've ever read and liked is based off the pre-knowledge that that author is good. No one has ever written a 1000 character piece of fiction that rings through as having potential. Your criteria is as misguided as your project.

I submitted something and wasn't accepted. It came as a relief.

this hurt to read

Is this a first draft?

Check the email already and let me in. I'm bored and need the focus.

bump

I kind of want to join, but I know in my heart I'll just forget about it within a week.

fuck no

I'll probably submit something by tomorrow night

I haven't really been impressed by any of the excerpts I've seen posted ITT. Should I curb my pretentiousness and submit something anyway in the effort of making new friends who are into literature?

why not be the king of the hill bud

Where did I say 1000 words you fucking illiterate monkey

I am interested in experimental prose but open to a conceptually experimental story too.

This whole thread is my submission op. Ama

Surprised I made it in tbqh

Are you also sending rejection e-mails, or only acceptance ones? I want to know if my benzodiazepine-induced romantic drivel was written well enough for this elite literary circle.

i sent out acceptance ones and i sent 2 rejections with the opportunity to reapply because i wasnt sure how i felt about them

I don't get why anyone should apply to you.

How do we know you're not a talentless hack? I mean, you mentioned dumb /tv/ memes like Hypersphere which have nothing at all to do with Veeky Forums.

Then mine must have been rejected since I can't find anything in my inbox. Oh, well. I am looking forward to seeing what you make. Meanwhile I'll hone my skills.

if you applied after this thread was made then i haven't gone through it yet, i only did the first thread's applications so far

Ah, yes, I applied after this thread was made, not the first one.

Do them today, senpai. I'm dying with anticipation.

"Please go through this interview process to write garbage."

Okay.

did i click the wrong link, isn't it just pen name and email?