How do I develop an eidetic memory?

I want to study a book and read it from memory every time I need it. Life's not fair.

By reading

It doesn't work. Everything learned in the past years is in the trash now. On the other side, I often happen to read about people who can easily commit to memory everything they want. How do I develop such a quality? There's no point in studying different areas of mathematics and physics if I forget everything I learn.

Basically memory works better the more things you remember, wether consciously or unconsciously.
Which sounds paradox at first because you'd thinm the more you had to memorize the harder it is.

However the more you memorize the easier it is to build chains to recall memories. The more regions of your brain you activate the more individual and active the memory is and the easier it is to recall it.
For example a lot if studies show that chewing gum helps a lot for memory. That's because you remember the taste, then you remember what you did while exoeriencing the taste and then your memory automatically pops up.

So the trick to better memorization is ironically to not concentrate on concrete stuff you want to memorize but to memorize all the random shit you're experiencing while memorizing thing you want to remember.

For example if you want to recall vocabulary, do not try to recall the words, but try to remember yourself how you tried to remember the vocabulary.

If you want to memorize a whole book, memorize the weather, the sounds you heard, where you've been lying/sitting/standing etc. Then you usually don't even need to think hard to remember.

Did this work for you?

Just read, nigga. Even if you don't remember 'everything', if you truly commited to the books and materials you've read (researched on your own, done exercises, discussed the subject with other people) you won't forget the gist of them. And why would you need to remember 'everything'? Do you really need to instantly recall the entirety proof of, say, butterfly lemma or picture a 6_3 knot? Why would you even think that mere perfect repetition would give you understanding of the subjects? You would spend your time more effectively by just reading shit, nigga.

I don't have an eidetic memory, but I remember stuff pretty quickly. Most people ask me how I easily memorize stuff and I never was really able to tell why.
Then one day I tried to write down my pin for my bank account and realized I couldn't do it. I seriously didn't remember my bank pin and panicked because I just forgot my fucking bank pin. But when I walked to the bank to get a new one I immediately remembered the moment I entered and that's when I realized I didn't actively memorize it. I just remember the circumstances of how I type it in and the number just comes back automatically then after I'm done at the ATM I immediately forget the number again.
Then I realized I remember stuff completely differenly than other people do. I don't really try to "save facts" I recall myself how I'm at the process of receiving the facts. When someone gives me a long task to do I don't make a mental list of things I need to do or write things down, I remember the conversation of the person giving me the task and can recall everything.

The really amazing thing about this is that I can completely forget about it and don't need to worry I miss something. I just go back to the start of the conversation and let it unroll and then the memory comes back

When I remember formulas or vocab or anything I learned from school, I don't remember the thing by itself I remember the lesson and the teacher and how he was like when he taught it to us. I really was a "just pay attention in class kid" that a lot of people don't believe that they never learn at home. But it's really true.
I actually am not even capable of sitting down and just learn. I tried it, it doesn't work. I remember things by experiencing them and not by memorizing them.
This is why kids can remember all the Pokemon games so easily. They don't sit down and learn all Pokemon names or suddenly gain eidetic memory. They just remember watching the anime and playing the games and the names come back automatically

>you won't forget the gist of them.
But that happens. Even after having rehearsed them many times. It's annoying to have to figure things again. I'm not a mindless robot. I fill out parts of proofs and rearrange them a bit so they fit with my knowledge of the subject. I've always committed to memory every proof during exams. 100+ of them at times, weeks of rehearsing.

Not to actually answer OP, but there's something funny I like to do before reading a book, which is flipping through it.
It's actually amazing to see that you'll feel familiar with some passages once you come to read them, almost as if you could quote them. I find it helps my reading.

The brain is weird mayne.

Indeed. People remember events, occurrences, things that happen to them, rather than facts.

I remember the feeling I had of the material before studying it. It's a curios thing indeed.

Thank you for the tip. I will experiment with this and see it if helps my math.

N back training.
Method of Loci.

Found this a moment ago

>N back training.
D6B. On and off for years. Nothing.
>Method of Loci.
Good at it for digits but it's cumbersome so not going to use it.

Instead of wasting your time restudying the same text whenever you need to apply the material, how about you just read the book once, but actually try to understand the content, so whenever you need to solve a problem that requires the book's knowledge, you can just use your skills to solve it.

>Memorization by association is the end goal of the process.
>The other method I'm going to show you is Image Association.
That's what I figured out with loci.
You are faster if you don't vocalize with your inner voice, but that's loci nonetheless.
Read the whole thing and it doesn't explain anything.
Into the trash it goes.
I already experience eidetic imagery when I wake up. That's what eidetic memory is about.

>but actually try to understand the content,
I do understand it very well.
I'm very meticulous and good in what I do (at leas I think I am).
>so whenever you need to solve a problem that requires the book's knowledge, you can just use your skills to solve it.
That never happens and by that time the information would be forgotten.
I solve exercises every morning now not to forget the material.
Hope this new method helps.

If you understand the material, then how could you forget it? Its like saying you learned how to play the violin, but you forgot how. If you understand the material, then you can piece together the knowledge from the book by using logic. If your reasoning skills aren't enough to solve the problem, then that means you don't understand the material.

It's called Prompted memory user. A powerful tool indeed.

>If your reasoning skills aren't enough to solve the problem
I have no problem in that sense.
There's some misunderstanding here.
Some parts of the theory require you to know and entire (although small) theorem from an old book and write it differently for your needs.
It's annoying to have to figure out that theorem again.
Eventually you rehearse the material so many times it becomes obvious.
You start studying new stuff and the old tricks and technicalities are forgotten.
That happens to the majority of people and not just with mathematics.
Think getting back to gaming or sports.
It might take you hours, days or months (with sports) to get back in shape.
That's the same with mathematics, it's just a lot more tedious.
I'd just like to have an outstanding memory.

>eidetic memory
This is a meme, there is no such thing.

Off this thread retard.

Short-term?

Method of Loci (a.k.a. Memory Palaces)
Aside from that, you're going to have to build your own mental representation anyway, so may as well go with a method that's been established to avoid extra effort.

Long-term?

Use spaced repetition with flash cards. Otherwise, try recording yourself explaining it, teaching your friend/family, writing it down as if you're showing it to a general audience, etc.

Years ago I had to study the first chapter of Basic Linear Partial Differential Equations - Treves. I remembered the outline of every page and the page number. The book is very introductory and I could just sit and rehearse it through memory. I might try that with just one book. Every day until I can go from cover to cover in very little time. Very good idea I'll do this.

there's no such thing as an eidetic memory. it's a meme for shitty tv shows

>For example a lot if studies show that chewing gum helps a lot for memory. That's because you remember the taste, then you remember what you did while exoeriencing the taste and then your memory automatically pops up.
This is cheating 100%, the memory that is received because of the gum is stored in a different area of the brain than where basic information is stored. Have you ever forgot your phone or locker combination because you've been doing it so long you didn't think about the actual numbers involved in the combo? That's because you allowed yourself to completely forget the actual combination, (stored in your long term memory) and replaced that with purely mechanical memory stored in your cerebellum. The result is that all you really know are the hand movements involved in it. The same goes for your claim.

That's because you wandering pile of garbage never experienced something like that.

If you do this kys

Don't bother user. A pen and pencil can memorize better than you will ever be able. Memorization is the pleb's "intelligence".

True patritian intellectuals understand concepts. People overly emphatic on using memorization to prove their intelligence are usually lacking in logic.

>Prompted memor

Explain. Google returns nothing

I just made that shit up so dont worry friend, you get the idea

Can an eidetic memory even be developed? I thought this was a trait you were born with.

Just understand a concept and memorization comes naturally.