twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

scott walker

Jimmy Buffett

i don't really care. Veeky Forums has bad taste in just about everything

jackson browne is epic desu

Townes Van Zandt

Jeffrey Lamar Williams is also a possibility

lets be honest, lads. it's jeff mangum

It's kind of funny how your well meaning words convey perfectly to me that he is, beyond doubt, absolute shit.

Joanna Newsom, David Tibet, Scott Walker. Mark Kozelek, maybe. I don't know what you mean by "Veeky Forums." I think that Newsom and Tibet are the most artistically sophisticated songwriters I have ever experienced.

you talk like a faggot

Van Morrison is the only acceptable answer.

I suck dick like a straight girl.

faggot alert

That's pretty bad...

"Augustine, Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plath are confessional writers and all three make me sick," she once said. "I have nothing in common with them. Sexton was a whopping liar. All of her confessions, as far as I can determine, seem to be contrived."

" My cat, Nietzsche, peed all over a couple of chairs, and you can't snuggle him because he's part ocelot, so I said to him --and I love this cat. Look at his eyes. I mean he's such a romantic animal."

"I was never a feminist. I was in argument with them. They were so down on the domestic female, the family, and it was breaking down. And even though my problems were somewhat female, they were of no help to mine. I was already past that. I don't want to get a posse against guys. The men need correcting. The feminists were emulating them.

The thing of all these books, the only thing that held up to me, that were working with the problem as a holistic problem, were Carl Jung's, because he had access to the medicine wheel, this mandala, this concept of a chief's wheel, or a wheel of becoming. I disagreed with Jung because he relabelled north, which the natives called "wisdom," to "Intellect". And I think that intellect is very limited. Wisdom is really the pulling of heart and mind together. It isn't just pure intellect."

youtube.com/watch?v=1O3AL4c7HDQ

My vote goes to Joni.

he write this song at 16. how did he did that and be so young?

"These Days"

Well I've been out walking
I don't do that much talking these days
These days-
These days I seem to think a lot
About the things that I forgot to do
For you
And all the times I had the chance to

And I had a lover
It's so hard to risk another these days
These days-
Now if I seem to be afraid
To live the life I have made in song
Well it's just that I've been losing so long

I'll keep on moving
Things are bound to be improving these days
These days-
These days I sit on corner stones
And count the time in quarter tones to ten, my friend
Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them

Young Shakira will always be a great poet for me. The pessimistic way she viewed society was so great before she sold out.

Is Leonard Cohen too "obvious" of a choice, or is he secretly pleb and I don't know it?

Beck

Tonight the city is full of morgues
And all the toilets are overflowing
There's shopping malls coming out of the walls
As we walk out among the manure

That's why
I pay no mind

Give the finger to the rock n roll singer
As he's dancing upon your pay check
Sales climb high through the garbage pale sky
Like a giant dildo crushing the sun

That's why
I pay no mind
Sleep in slime
I just got signed

So get out your lead pipe pipe dreams
Get out your ten-foot flags
The insects are huge
And the poison's all been used
And the drugs won't kill your day job
Honey

Cohen is very legit.

>implying it's not Bob Dylan

This thread sucks.

Too didactic.

Cohen and Morrison still top 2 in this thread. Joni 3rd.

Dan Bejar

Some good guesses, but you're all wrong, the answer is Adam Duritz.

youtube.com/watch?v=VzMIjOyWOi4

youtube.com/watch?v=_LzSJV90EBE

It's obviously Nick Drake.

Douglas Pearce

This thread is pretty retarded for the most part. Most of the names I'm reading in are making me dry heave, save for Leonard Conan and Nick Drake.

Beyond that, no one previously mention demonstrates any comprehensive knowledge of literature in their writings, which is what I thought this thread would actually be about.

I'm retarded.

Cohen*

You're not familiar with Van's stuff.

Bob Dylan's poetry is included in the Western Canon, so probably him.

You sound like the kind of deluded youngster that MFA programs like to prey on.

"Demonstrate any comprehensive knowledge of literature"... jesus christ...

>who is the most /lit songwriter
>a bunch of song writers whose influences come from movements which in many senses shy away from established conventions of literature

I never implied there was something wrong with not being a fucking book worm. I'm just saying it's dumb to have a thread about non-literature oriented music on a literature oriented board.

Joanna Newsom is extraordinarily well read and alludes to various works of fiction, art, and philosophy in her songs, and deals with extremely complex ideas and etc, etc etc.
nick drake is literally 'muh feels' the music, and leonard conan is about as plebian as it gets, up there with nick cave and elvis costello.

Cohen is the best answer probably since he kinda helped introduce Canada to postmodernism with his own books

>leonard conan is about as plebian as it gets, up there with nick cave and elvis costello.
... embarassing take, right there. Also, Costello is a kid compared to the other two.

Why are anglo songwriters so weak ?

I was just listening to the Nico album this morning, did not know it was a Browne song. he was sixteen when he wrote that? cot damn. I didn't feel those feels until decades later. still can't get out from under those feels.

Joni was the motherfucking truth. Mingus knew.

"he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown."

sort of. her exhusband commissioned my mother to do it in exchange for a month's free rent at the "tenement castle." I guess the pastel reminded him too much of Joni.

I'm listening to Lifes Rich Pageant right now. Stipe isn't "the most Veeky Forums" but he definitely has game.

Admittedly I'm not entirely familiar with either of their works and really had my attention more set on the stuff I didn't like.

I'll say: I like Nick Drake and Mark Kozelek; Leonard Cohen, from what I've heard, is decent enough. Even still, this thread isn't much more then a bunch of unexplained name drops.

Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Nas

>Academia and established convention represents art, and holds authority over its 'purity'

My statement still stands.

lmao I know right. who the fuck is confronting him with his failures. he's sixteen years old. leave the kid alone.

Alright you dumb fucks:

BOB DYLAN
>author of over 500 songs, absolutely obliterated what was expected of lyricists, published Tarantula, one of the most experimental 60s US books, king of allusion and symbolism

COHEN
>author of several books and poetry collections, Beautiful Losers being so sexual its been banned constantly

JONI MITCHELL
>all kinds of literary allusions, clearly well read. To my knowledge no book publications but at least a few poetry comps

KEVIN BARNES
>literary allusions all over the place. His album Coliquot Sleeping is basically a musical book of sorts, and he's referrenced a number of edgy authors like Bataille in songs

RICHARD HELL
>beyond being in Television and becoming an icon on his own with his album Blank Generation, Hell has also published several works including Godlike, a p nasty trip

>literature does not equate to literature
>music uninfluenced by literature somehow relates to literature

I said nothing about academia, but literature is a douchey term in the first place and if you want to avoid it's douchey connotations than you should do just that and ignore the word altogether.

Van, while writing gorgeous symbolist, stream of consciousness lyrics, literally namedrops Eliot, Donne, Joyce, Blake, etc., etc. And then you claimed a lack of lit references... - not that it should matter imo.

To that dude, Richard Hell imo is a very light Baudelaire and Rimbaud ripoff, as a lot of other edgy rockers (Patti Smith being another one of them). Not all great with words.

tom lehrer