No theory of local hidden variables can ever reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics

>no theory of local hidden variables can ever reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics
>tfw a classical world can never be recovered

Where were you when science died and became philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can just say that quantum mechanics are classical mechanics.

I mean, it was just a name.

Getting banned from sscience for doing embarrassing experiments

Laughing at your stupidity
The implications of quantum mechanics make the universe a way more fascinating place

This is why i come to this board.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

I don't understand why you think those two statements imply that science "died and became philosophy". Can you explain your opinion further?

Philisophy became science and now Science is going back to its roots, after all the further we dig into this kind of shit the closer we are to finding out just why we exist in the first place.

because we have now reached the epoch of experimental metaphysics

Okay. Can you write a full paragraph which clearly explains your position? I don't even know what you're trying to argue. You're just using meme-speak and spouting buzzwords.

Science was always metaphysics. The idea that you can just say "hurrdurr logical positivism" in response to anything is extremely recent and never really amounted to anything other than willful ignorance of the metaphysical problems that gave birth to science in the first place.

Bell's theorem states that, if nature violates certain inequalities, then nature must violate either locality or counterfactual definiteness, or possibly both. Experimental tests of Bell's theorem have shown that nature does in fact violate these inequalities, which means one of the two ideas must be abandoned.

Thus, the theorem marks a rare case of experimental metaphysics in that it says something about reality itself, as opposed to being formalism that can be interpreted realistically or instrumentally.

There are people on Veeky Forums who know their Veeky Forumst

>no theory of local hidden variables can ever reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics
Prove it

Ok. Just explain entanglement, the quantum eraser experiment, virtual particles, etc

Yeah, that would crush my soul too if it was true, but thank god it isn't.

Bell's theorem is wrong, you have to be blind to believe it.

Any theory that has free will as a basic assumptions should be viewed with suspicion

there are different kinds of determinism famalam.

So?

freedom in the context of Bell is only incorrect if superdeterminism is true, as in, if the backward light cones of every event stretching back to the Big Bang have all conspired to produce the observed correlations and for that matter every other scientific experiment ever conducted. It has nothing to say about any other kind of determinism, whether it be biological/logical/theological etc. Even if free will proved to be false, it would not necessarily have any impact on the results of the theorem, so long as that specific kind of determinism is not true.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem
Enter the rabbit hole's event horizon user. There is no escape.

Fair enough, but superdeterminism remains a valid interpretation of the universe and Bell's only works if its not true

It's an extraordinary contrived loophole and cannot, by any conceivable means, be tested. It would also be the end of science. Much easier to just give up locality or realism (or both)

>It's an extraordinary contrived loophole
Its literally the classical view of physics restated to account for quantum mechanics

>then nature must violate either locality or counterfactual definiteness
Not quite true. Many-worlds satisfies the Bell inequalities, without either violating locality or counterfactual definiteness.

Yeah, but many-worlds is bullshit. Not as bad as Bohmian mechanics, but still bullshit.

Classical mechanics is not conspiratorial. Superdeterminism would mean that all the particles in the universe are secretly working together, each particle acting in just the right way as to make it seem as if local realism is false even though it is really true. So for instance, if you decide which way to orient your polarizer based on throwing dice (or some more sophisticated pseudorandom number generator), the motion of the dice in principle can be predicted from the initial conditions of the dice and all the air molecules. So all the air molecules were working together to turn the die in just the right way so that the right number would show up. And the air molecules could be affected by the time a person sneezed, which could be affected by something they ate. So the laws of the universe made the person choose just the right food so as to make him sneeze at the right time to make the air molecules turn the die in just the right way so that the polarizer will be turned to the exact orientation the universe wants.

You can see that this sounds less like a scientific theory and more like a religious explanation - you have a God who is controlling all the little details of the universe in order to make the statistics of quantum entanglement experiments come out just right.

Why? It's exactly what the basic equations of quantum mechanics predict.

How do we take back academia from the positivists?

>what is bohmian mechanics

Define "basic equations"
I bet you dont even know how to solve TISE

>bohmian mechanics
>local
finely baited my friend

Woaw careful there you're gonna ruffle the lesswrong autists.
Don't want to aggravate a cult.

nice projection
you only pretend to understand QM, along with all of academia and popsci

idk man. I would say, show them how it's done, but Witten praises Einstein while simultaneously ignoring his methods. If you solve literally every open problem in physics using intuitive reasoning maybe it would wake people up.

>projection

It's not philosophy, philosophy doesn't require logic or evidence.