What does Veeky Forums think of "The S.W.E.A.T. Pledge"?

What does Veeky Forums think of "The S.W.E.A.T. Pledge"?

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/is-chinas-world-beating-school-system-really-the-best-for-students-10436813.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fake and gay

Seems legit to me. I had to bust my ass for my math degree. It was not easy for me. Except 11. I kind of do resent the success of others, when they don't deserve it.

I also understand the world is not fair, but I'm not ok with that, I want to change that.

>I believe there is no such thing as a "bad job"
>I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

sounds like some brainwashing BS

Sounds pretty great desu. Mike Rowe is GOAT.

only that part though, the rest of it comes off very neutral and unlike a textbook example of social engineering

>yes, yes, work hard at terrible jobs
>if you burn out it's because you didn't work hard enough

A starving African child with 70 IQ was created equal to a millionaire Nobel Prize physicist?

>yes goyim yes work for $4/hr scrubbing shit off of the bottom of my shoe and don't you dare complain goyim remember capitalism is human nature!

a) what the fuck does this have to do with science and mathematics? it doesnt.
b) >i live in america
america is a shit-hole and you should do everything you can to leave

I had a nervous breakdown a year ago and failed one course I needed for my degree. Before and during taking the same course 2 semesters laer, I was put in a position where I had to work in a sandwich shop for almost a year before I finished my degree and got the job I am currently in now. Let me tell you there is such a thing as a "bad job." If I or anyone else can choose to be happy in whatever job they can get, this pledge would apply to everyone. But it is not only important to have a job, but a job you can base an identity on if it is to become a career.

What I think this SWEAT pledge is aimed towards, is the undeclared major freshman who is blowing all of his or her parents money because they don't know what to do with their lives. What he doesn't know is that there are young kids that know they are mathematicians or researchers for example that need to go to school and are going to be miserable working in a place that doesn't involve it. This is coming from a Ted Talk Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs gave where he proposed a PR campaign for "work" so that more people go to trade school rather than college.

This doesn't apply to most of you. A lot of you are a bunch of arrogant spergs, like myself, but you are confident in your identity as STEM fags even if you don't realize it like I didn't before.

Maybe yes, it was impressive to me when I made it to engineering schools how many students fucking hated math and physics and couldn't wait to be done with it. In a way it's admirable, I mean it was a pretty good school so it means they worked as hard as I did in prépa while having no interest in the material at all, just because they were motivated and driven by the job prospect.

I actually work with someone who graduated as a biomedical engineer major. We are both quality assurance lab technicians and he was talking about how a lot of engineers have jobs but, not in the places they hoped. For instance, a lot of them are in IT positions. For the job you want, what more is there to do in engineering to get the job you want rather than just survive?

You don't. You just hope to get into management fast.
Having a technical career is deemed a failure anyway.

This, or get a master's. Once you've been out of of school or an engineering career for a few years, they won't hire you, since you've forgotten all the engineering stuff you've learned

>I understand the world is not fair
>I believe that all people are created equal
???

>Having a technical career is deemed a failure anyway.

How so?

Because upgrading to management is commonly seen as the only form of career progression for engineers.

Some companies have their "expert track" to go against that but it's the exception rather than the rule.

From what I'm reading from your posts and hearing from others, engineering sounds rough in the long run also as well as the short run.

Management isn't rough at all. It's just not very satisfying if your ideal in life was to actually do technical things.

That's good to hear. But you have to get in first.

>I live in America
Can't even get the first thing right :(

beta faggot manifesto

There is a difference between work ethic and being acuckold.

green checks make sense

yellow X is partially cuck-tier

red X is full cuck-tier

point 7 is actually the best point on that list.
There's no better way than that one to show your value to your employer, and quickly grow out of the shitty work you get.

I know it sounds counterintuitive but the more you volunteer to do shitty work the less you end up doing it in the end.

People who sign this shit are the most pretentious cunts there is
No shit jobs exist?
Fuck off you've never had a shit job in all your fucking life.

>12. I believe that all people are created equal

When will this meme end. It might make for good govermental doctrine to prevent tyranny, but it is blatantly and obviously untrue

hahahahaha wagecucks really are this pathetic

That's not math or science.

It's interesting to see what math/sci guys think about this stuff that typically only trade school twats actually believe.

8+6 should be yellow really

>number 7
that's a good way to burn yourself out and hate your job

Are you retarded? Can you not read? Do you have an IQ of 89? This isn't math and it isn't science. I hope you end up in a crappy job with a boss who believes this gay list like the Bible as punishment for shitting up this board.

Kek

seems more like some gay hippy millenial brainlet pledge.

"i understand that my life is a gift and that i should not resent being a brainlet, so i will cheerfully tryhard at everything and overcome my weak brain with a smile on my face and never complain about my shit dice roll, also i believe everyone is created equal even though i just said i understand life is not fair."

heavy tones of confucius and japanese subservitude. the asian mentality is the last thing we want to promote in our kids.

+ taking longer to do something is seen as doing a better job, regardless of quality or efficiency.

+ memorization (rote learning) is heavily favored over critical thinking. they will practice the same problem 100 times and do the same with the next problem, rather than practice the problem and apply what they learned to the next.

+ (confucius) working hard is more important than working smart. this is why they have night schools and huge amounts of homework, children are expected to do 12+ hours of schoolwork a day (including weekends) and only get around 4-6 hours sleep. teachers are often expected to stay for 4-8 hours after school ends to continue working, and if you don't you're seen as lazy/incompetent.

+ if you get sick it is your own fault, and not anyone else who may have gotten you sick via poor hygiene practices. on a side, they also believe that stagnant air causes the sickness, so they will open the windows of the building even on days where pollution is above dangerous levels.

in all the asian mentality is to favor time spent over quality. they don't care that its proven that their system and overall way of thinking is vastly inefficient and inferior, because that's what confucius taught them.

>they don't care that its proven that their system and overall way of thinking is vastly inefficient and inferior, because that's what confucius taught them.
I don't think you know what 'proven' means in a scientific context. Show me the papers.

>gay hippy millenial brainlet

Projecting this hard.

There is literally no reason to follow any of these commands.

And even if you are the person who follows these types of principles (there is no a priori reason to do so, by the way), then unprincipled people will just use your adherence to them to work you over.

Follow principles on a person by person basis, based on reciprocation.

>based on reciprocation.
>I'll help you if you help me

How short sighted.

This only applies to blue collars who were too stupid to get into college

>Agreed
>Agreed
>Depends
>75/25 for
>25/75 for
>Agreed
>Depends
>Disagree
>Agreed
>Agreed
>Agreed
>Agreed
Honestly it's pretty based.

It's meant as a statement against the stereotypical millennials who believe trade work is beneath them and would rather work retail for 4 years waiting for their "big break" than suck it up and learn HVAC.

Anyone who disagrees is a brainlet.

asia cares only about prestige, it's all based on going to the best schools. students are separated in their classes by their grades, with the best students taught by the best teachers. their entire academic goal is to get into the best schools, and if they dont their life is literally over, with no chance of ever getting a good job.

their education system is shit and it's been proven shit because it has been shown to have little correlation to success in higher education.

take a look at countries like finland, which is usually considered to have the best education system, and see that they do virtually the exact opposite:

no homework, few standardized tests, 5 hour school days, start at 7 years old, 75 minutes of recess, no grade tiers/funneling, teaching jobs are massively respected and competitive (masters+).

finland and others like denmark have shown quite conclusively that their education system is objectively superior to the asian one (china, korea, japan).

take a look at the actual difference between finland and the asian countries, and then account for the fact that finland only spends about 25% of the time attaining them.

This is for 2015, and finland has been on a downward trend for a few years now, back in 2010 or so they were #1 and #2 for a long time. This doesn't take away from the fact that their education system is obviously superior.

Again the asian countries put 100% effort into only passing tests, whereas finland puts their effort into actually learning.

independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/is-chinas-world-beating-school-system-really-the-best-for-students-10436813.html

this would be a good quick read if you are genuinely interested