STOP MAKING FUN OF /v/ YOU FUCKING PSEUDO INTELLECTUAL, CONCEITED, UP-YOUR-OWN-ASS, "HURR I LUV 2 REEED XDDDD" NIGGERS

STOP MAKING FUN OF /v/ YOU FUCKING PSEUDO INTELLECTUAL, CONCEITED, UP-YOUR-OWN-ASS, "HURR I LUV 2 REEED XDDDD" NIGGERS

what's wrong with making fun of reddit?

Go away you stupid faggot.

This thread is not related to literature, please delete it.
Thank you.

I know you're trying to foster interboard relations, but it's late and you need go to sleep.

All boards have their own shit elements, and can be made fun of.
Most of /v/'s elements are shit.

There is literally no redeeming quality inherent to video games. Please kill yourself

>Enjoyment and fun, just like reading
>No redeeming quality

Whats up you elitist cunt?

Let me do my impression of OP: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! STOP BULLYING ME!!!!!!!!!!! :'("

Yes. Stop bullying us. Its mean.

the only people who enjoy it are stunted children. Just look at fucking twitch culture and e-sports

'enjoyment' and 'fun' are in no way inherent qualities of literature

Maybe if you take it too fucking seriously and are, as I said before, up your own ass.

you've misunderstood the argument.

Is this /mu/, /pol/ or /r9k/ trying to take the heat off themselves? We're not bullying you; we're helping make you better by pointing out the many ways in which you're shit and should read a book or kill yourself.

How?

the poster (not me) is saying there are no redeeming qualities inherent to the video game medium. i might actually disagree with that, but whtever they may be it's not "fun" which is neither an element of the medium itself nor essential in defining the medium and therefore inherent to it

to play a bad video game is not fun, to read bad literature is not fun

Okay, so if not for fun or enjoyment, what is the element of the medium of literature that defines it?

the communication of one's thoughts through language

to video games is agency, though there is the question of how much value this rea

Did you fucking die?

people who 'enjoy' literature are stunted children who want to seem cultured and mature. look at this board

EVERYBODY DOWN! WE'VE GOT A SNI

lol'd

vidya is objectively the best medium for ideas to propagate(among numerous others) and unlike literature which have hit the wall half a century ago, vidya have an enormous potential.

Reading book for what?
compensating for the lack of any genuine redeeming qualities ??
Or compensating for your failure with the opposite sex??

>>vidya is objectively the best medium for ideas to propagate

i never know whether Veeky Forums user rage bait godawful pleb lines like these with secret grins or if tourist user from /v/ find these threads and make these horrible posts sincerely.

On contrary it's simply a Veeky Forums user who acknowledges the limits of a medium of yesteryears.Much like you actually,however in my case it's not clouded with faux elitism of primitivist,unfit and ungrateful for the modern world.

>Reading for 'enjoyment' and 'fun'

This is why you will never quit being a pleb.

For your information GTA 5 made almost a billion dollar within 24 hours ,no piece of literature have yet to come even close to this.

All you can do now is accept the fact that the collective have chose the one that is more in sync with our time.And a perpetual state of denial won't going to change it.

a fairly well crafted troll, but not funny
i don't know what you're getting out of this

this meme is so stupid hurr durr i got shot by a sniper xDDDD

almost as stupid as the candlejack me

Not An Argument

Recognizing the limits of different mediums is great and all, but why did you just decide that the limits of vidya are further out, and literature has somehow already been explored to the fullest?

Both are exciting ways for creativity to come through, and have so much room to grow that it's inconceivable that we'll ever see the limits of either.

>but why did you just decide that the limits of vidya are further out, and literature has somehow already been explored to the fullest?

Take a look at them both and observe the rate at each one of them are blooming .Vidya have yet to show signs of Stagnation and a steep decline ,same can't be said for literature.

THEY'VE GOT A WH

No it's too funny when unintelligent neckbeards defend their toys like a bunch of 10 year old children. Stay in your shitty containment board full of autists, redditors, edgy teens, weebs, and losers who still live in their moms basement. /v/ doesn't even come up with funny memes anymore, just kill yourself friend.

Incidentally, /v/ is, along with /pol/. perhaps the most belligerent board on Veeky Forums.

It genuinely seems like they hate everything, especially themselves.

Because what's the point? Neither profit nor distribution determine whether or not

>>vidya is objectively the best medium for ideas to propagate

As you put it.

Vidya has already had periods of stagnation and revitalization, that's how the history of any medium goes. With something like literature, this takes place over longer periods of time thanks to the nature of print since it's been around. Especially considering that most works that Veeky Forums loves come from a relatively recent period of time, why would you consider this anything but the natural fluctuations of each?

Not to mention whether modern literature is stagnant is an argument in and of itself, and that vidya's explosion in creative output likely has to do with simply being new, rather than inherently having a wider range of possibilities.

It's easy to say a medium or style is near its limits, hence "x music genre is dead," but there's always been innovators who prove it wrong. To think that the modern day is any different is just short-sighted and somewhat self-centered.

I suspect this is bait, but it's got legs as an argument. Games are capable of using virtually every artistic medium available - ballet, visual storytelling, music, even literature and more.

There are books in Skyrim. Agreed, they are short and shit, but there is scope here for more. Witcher 3's character profiles update organically, as you play through the game.

I sense we're at the early stages, and I doubt the novel will ever topple from its pedestal, but to suggest games aren't AT LEAST a valid artistic medium is retarded.

Of course they're valid, no artistic medium is invalid

I don't think it makes sense to argue that the scope of games is larger when comparing to other mediums...by saying they can contain said other mediums, though it's interesting to explore otherwise.

Thing is, they have limitations in what can work well. Written word is, to this day, the best way to directly flesh out the inner thoughts of characters, while visual mediums are far superior at efficiently establishing and exploring settings. Of course the differences are far more nuanced and many more exist, and they're awesome to discuss, but it's just idiotic for both the trolls and elitists in here to paint one as objectively better or capable of more.

Can't a book contain a game, a painting or a song? That's a rhetorical question, of course it can. Many do.

I was arguing that that's pretty much irrelevant and that the fact that games can have things that aren't games in them doesn't really make a solid case for them. Not that they need to be proven to be "valid" or anything, since that's elitist nonsense

Though it's a good thing to mention, wasn't eally thinking about that

Video games are still in their infancy, so we can't expect much of them. Do you look at cave paintings and criticise Ug for not painting the Mona Lisa? So far, the only games I've played with anything resembling artistic merit are Red Dead Redemption and, to an extent, the Elder Scrolls games. This doesn't mean it isn't possible for games to improve, but I'm dubious of claims that, in its current form, the medium can be taken seriously.

>artistic merit are Red Dead Redemption and, to an extent, the Elder Scrolls games
And even so, they would be considered as banal tripe or genre-fiction in the scope of literature

Can you manchildren fuck off and take your genre fiction faggots with you? A few weeks ago I told a faggot that read The Dark Tower to go to the fantasy thread (and be welcomed) instead of continuing his shitty thread and he basically 'nuh uh I can and will post where I please.'

Jesus Christ.

Yes, I wasn't trying to contradict you, I just thought it was an interesting thing to add.

Whenever someone uses the non-word 'vidya' I just want to punch them in the mouth. It's so fucking childish it makes me think your mother has to make aeroplane noises for you so you'll eat your cut up tendies.

>not abhorring pomodernity

Do people unironically still play video games these days? Isn't this an 18+ website?

I agree, it's elitist to put any medium on a pedestal. My point was - if you're saying that the written word, ie literature, has a special something then fine. But a game can contain the written word.

No, of course a book can't contain a game, you fucking simpleton. You can't play GTA on a page. It's not interactive, not organic. You'd have to be psychotic to get such variety out of a sentence. Same goes for music. You can't HEAR the written word. You can think of music because it's described well, maybe even experience near identical brain activity, but it's never going to vibrate the air around you.

It is relevant and does make a very solid case for them. Lots of people don't consider games a valid medium and, if they do, invariably lower down than say, opera or literature. My point is that if ANY medium could be considered 'best' (which I agree, is a stupid notion) then it's games. Purely because they can do what every other medium can do, woven in to an interactive experience. Admittedly, it's a difficult position to take as loads of games are shit and appeal so quickly to plebs. And, as discussed, the medium is still young.

Gaming is fucking dead.

all modern games are casual shit

gaming died with cs:go 2012-2014
RIP true gaming

Gaming died with CS beta 6.0

t. old fart

>2006
>be undergraduate in Comparative Literature
>play Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Knights of the Old Republic 2, Star Control 2, Freespace 2
>see the potential for narrative complexity in games
>tell all my friends that video games have just as much potential as literature to be great art
>tell them it's the dawn of a new artistic medium
>tell them that, sooner or later, more brilliant storytellers will flock to it, to write flexible metanarratives that give an unprecedented level of immersion
>tell them that academia is going to pick up on this and start writing literary theory of video games
>2016
>be Assistant Professor of Literature
>video games have been completely consumed by capitalist mode of production and reduced to a slurry of soulless tropes
>video game scholarship does exist
>it's hipsters and fat lesbians writing about teabagging and transgender indie pixel games
>want to complain on /v/
>everyone there is 17

xD

Is this a serious thread? I really hope not.

>hurrr I'm gonna be angry about a post that doesn't even have words so I'll waste my time making fun of it XD!!

yeah and stop making fun of mu too. you guys think your so smart. you are just stupid .

the only people who enjoy lit are stunted children. Just look at fucking YA culture and /r/books

>to video games is agency
YES

YES IT IS

THIS user GOT IT

There's so much potential in vidya, purely through its agency.