How to convince my friend to read something other than YA

Friend of mine is 20 and wanted me to start reading Percy Jackson. He's rereading Harry Potter now. I told him that at his age he should try reading something a 13 year old girl wouldnt also read. He said that I read some Aristotle at that age and I told him that wasn't the point. I highlighted the difference between someone say reading The World as Will and Representation and him reading Harry Potter or Maze Runner. He said he didn't care for dry philosophy or that adult fiction was too adult cause it would mention boring things like taxes.
He then stated that Harry Potter redefined a genre and that it's popularity points to it's excellence. I told him about the law of large numbers and that popularity can also mean mediocrity. He's always been a bit of a follow-the-crowd kind of guy so he wouldn't concede there.

I know I should allow him to read what he wants, but the dude hasn't read anything that isn't YA in like two years.
Anyone go through something similar?

>adult fiction was too adult cause it would mention boring things like taxes.
Get him hooked on DFW and laugh at him when he gets to the Pale King

There's literally never been a single documented case of a successful pleb to patrician conversion. You can turn yourself from a pleb to patrician through hard work over a long period of time, but doing it to another person will never work and will only create hostlity.

you sound like an absolute asshole. I get why people like you populate this shithole - for the most part, nobody in real life tolerates your ilk.

>I get why people like you populate this shithole
Oh look a self righteous tourist. Your self flagellation of "listing this shithole" has been noted, you are a true hero of plebs everywhere.

why don't you consider the possibility of not being an elitist douchebag and letting your friend consume whatever books /literature he likes. can you really not tolerate his taste being different than yours? so fucking what if he likes YA. at least he's not forcing you to read it. so stop forcing him to read shit that you like.

is it really that difficult for both of you to read whatever the fuck it is that you want to read?

I'm not trying to be super contrarian and it's not like he and I aren't friends. Do you not engage in bantz with your mates?
It's just he's always telling me to read some YA book and I'm like nigga I'm 20

>listing
Visiting*

It's just some light bantz between friends about their tastes. It's not like I tell him he can't read them but I'm just like come on dude..

my gf was kinda like that when i met her and i had her reading patrician stuff within a few months
just keep mocking him but do it subtlety and don't argue with him about harry potter being good or not, just laugh at him for even considering that, don't take what he says seriously

what i'm sayin might only work for girls though, might be more difficult with a dude, and also who wants to read books with guys, that's kinda gay, why not go fishing and camping and outdoors stuff you damn faggot

Probably my best bet
He does these stupid "bets" where if I do something he wants he'll do something I want. I say stupid because it's usually something we should both do anyway like start working out it keeping up with current events but if I ditch out he won't do his thing even if there's no drawback and it benefits him. I could sparknote a YA book to convince him I've read one.

If you like x, you probably want to share it with someone else. Why is this wrong when it comes to classic literature?

>The World as Will and Representation
Probably a great book, but not for the faint of heart.
In the 1st chapter Schoop literally tells the reader to go fuck himself if he hasn't read several of his previous work, including On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason
So starting The World as Will without a good prior knowledge of Leibniz and Kant is pretty pointless.
Your friend wouldn't even get fascinated by the revolutionary ideas of Schoop about the Thing in Itself.

lol at the philistines

We mock each other all the time do I could fit it in.
We don't read together but we talk about what we read in our free time.

Noice. Don't start him off at the deep end, although when people get into IJ they mostly enjoy it.

Tell him to read The Name of the Wind. It's like the perfect stepping stone for someone to get out of YA. It's a little more intricate than most YA, he'll like it because he likes Harry Potter, and then you can point him to stuff like Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, and then let him go from there.

True. It was more just as an example of more well respected academic book or something people will remember in a literary context vs whatever YA book he decides to read. Sub for x and y

Thanks for the recommendations

arrogant technology geek on 4chin : band together to make fun of tech plebs
arrogant humanities geek : come on, don't be an elitist douchebag! This place should have more tolerance!

You could simply recommend him an enjoyable book that isn't YA, which fits his criteria of enjoyment.

he tried sharing it with him. he was resistant to the idea. the next logical step is to leave him be and let his taste evolve or change at it's own pace. you can't always force someone to like the shit that you do.

dude, make fun of whoever you want. no one is stopping you. but try to be open to the idea that people have different tastes and they enjoy different things and there's very little that you can do to drastically change that over a short interval of time.

if you really want to share stuff with your friend, recommend some good shit and leave him be. if he is open to the idea of trying new things he might discover something better that he likes, if not then he will continue enjoying whatever he enjoys right now. there is literally no need to force your own taste/preferences on him.

Yeah I could do that. He'll try and make me read a YA book to compensate but I can work my way around that.