Tell the Truth

Recently I've heard that Tesla had some pretty outrageous designs bouncing around. We're any of them viable?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3uXL4_Yas2k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine#Applications
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The AC turbine seems to be fairly viable

a bunch of his stuff is still classified material

Tesla is the crowned king of meme science.

The few actual contributions he made to society were just continuing the work of previous scientists. That's completely fine, of course, because successive collaboration is the foundation of scientific progress, but he doesn't deserve the idiotic amounts of praise that get heaped on him. He was also a pathological liar. Read through his notebooks: they're filled to the brim of elaborate descriptions of experiments he clearly never did and wild claims of his abilities, like his "I built a tiny earthquake device that almost leveled a city" bullshit or his "I could split the world in half in an instant if I wanted" horseshit. For every real contribution he made, there are ninety nine pure fabrications.

So why is so fucking popular? Because he appeals to both science-worshipping autistics and scientifically-illiterate idiots, both of whom are highly active on the internet. The former group likes him because he's everything they aspire to be — single-minded, asexual, completely devoted to science, unable to communicate or interactive with others, etc. — and also because people like that absolutely live for contrarianism. They'll desperately cling to anything that makes them seem smarter than the average person ("oh you think edison is important?"). The latter group likes him because he spent 90% of his time sitting around making heaps of vague statements about energy and vibration that sound 2deep4me, but have no actual meaning whatsoever. Through the constant barrage of shitty memes about him, anybody in the middle ground who spends time on the internet gets so much exposure that they start to like him, too.

Fuck Tesla and fuck the idiots who would suck his dick if he hadn't chopped it off so he could focus on his pseudoscience.

> Recently I've heard that Tesla had some pretty outrageous designs bouncing around. We're any of them viable?

Yeah, lots of them.

I have reverse engineered several of them... and they all work on sound principles.

Smart man, very tragic.

Would you mind providing a source list of projects that you know / did?

someone sounds angry

Didn't he invent a teleportation device he called a wall if light. If stepped through it would transport you to another location. Sounds allot like a stargate.

Ignoring the ridiculous hate in this post. This is pretty accurate. He was a pretty good scientist that created a persona that made him very famous. He wasn't an idiot, but certainly went into a lot of fake science stuff that he liked to brag about.

HAARP

what about the earthquake machine?

This, basically.

He had contributions (significant ones, even), but he went nuts in his later years, and even his early role has been exaggerated by internet schizos, people who demonize Edison for political reasons, and (in the past few years) Serbian nationalists.

The War of the Currents was well underway by the time Tesla showed up on the scene -- he improved the AC design that Westinghouse was already using. Yes, that's impressive by itself. No, he didn't make the first AC generator. No, he didn't make the first commercially significant AC generator. Almost every Tesla fanboy I run into seems to think the former, then tries to fall back to the latter.

The death ray "design" (which is probably what OP is referring to) was notebook scribbling. To this fucking day I see people try to pass it off as a "set of blueprints".

youtube.com/watch?v=3uXL4_Yas2k

Tesla's autobiography reads like the fecal scribblings of a mental patient on the wall of his cell.

This happened.

This desu

This.

Between literal autism, completely unwarranted self-importance, and an unjustified persecution complex, he's essentially the patron saint of internet #IFUCKINGLOVESCIENCE brainlets. Not that Tesla wasn't smart himself but he's vastly overhyped by his followers.

Tesla's inventions utilizing radiant energy has huge implications economically. one of the biggest reasons why it has been supressed so much.

>We're any of them viable?
not really

Tesla was really more of a tinkerer than a scientist. He made a lot of pretty damn cool shit but a lot of it was pretty novelty-tier. It technically worked but wasn't nearly efficient to ever be used in industry.

tesla turbine works now that material and manufacturing science has advanced, and has found application

tesla valve seems to be an answer in search of a problem

these are really the only two things I have bothered to ever find out about

Nice pasta m8 , I bet you're an american

nothing uses the tesla turbine now though except some weirdo ceiling fans

not totally true the same principles and design are quite useful as a pump.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine#Applications
As of 2006, the Tesla turbine has not seen widespread commercial use since its invention. The Tesla pump, however, has been commercially available since 1982[5] and is used to pump fluids that are abrasive, viscous, shear sensitive, contain solids, or are otherwise difficult to handle with other pumps

Tesla's patented designs are still used in modern 3Φ