C

Dumbass here with retard question

Is calculus difficult? During my middle/high school most teachers hyped it up as being the hardest math. I've done some big boy research of my own and it seems like it's just 2 concepts, derivatives and integrals. The formulas don't look all that hard either.

Sorry for dipshit question

Step 1: did you pay attention in precalc?
Step 2:if yes, then congratz, ur probably gonna get an A
Step 2a: if no, then go down to your nearest supermarket, buy a cucumber and vaseline, and start practicing anal

>I've done some big boy research of my own and it seems like it's just 2 concepts, derivatives and integrals
Convergence and continuity hence topology. If you study some topology (say from Munkres) everything gets a lot more easy.

You are pretty much right. Its not hard and the main things are derivatives and integrals.

It's the hardest math that normalfags usually take. It's pretty basic compared to graduate-level math though.

>It's pretty basic compared to graduate-level math though.
Sky's blue dude

This right here. Calculus is usually the breaking point as to whether or not you'll be able to make it in higher levels of math.

Calculus is difficult.

It doesnt mean you can not get an A.

Calculus is easy as hell if you got a good foundation. Math doesn't get hard until you're a physicist taking math methods from Arfken and Weber and all your test questions are proofs.

Found calc 1/2 super easy, got easy As. Just started taking calc 3 2 weeks ago.

No

Lots of filthy fucking normies can do it

>Is calculus difficult?
It really isn't. You will want a decent foundation on precalc and at least know about trig identities.

>it seems like it's just 2 concepts, derivatives and integrals
Those are a few of the core concepts. There are other concepts in there like limits, series, convergence.

It's all pretty fun stuff though. At least I find it interesting.

>Calculus is usually the breaking point as to whether or not you'll be able to make it in higher levels of math.

Bullshit. When you get through your calculus courses, you still won't have done any real math. I think the true test is real analysis.

fuck off, faggot.

Most of the shit taught in precalc is overkill.

Seems right. Calc, DEs, and linear algebra were okay. I have a book on real analysis. Couldn't even get past the concept neighborhoods.

of course it's fucking easy when you get told to differentiate [math]x^2[/math] or integrate [math]cos(x)[/math]

using trigonometric substitution or integration by parts to solve shit like [math]\int \frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x^2 +9x}}[/math]

>trigonometric substitution
>integration by parts

>hard

The fuck is so hard about that, brainlet? Tedious =/= difficult.

it's not hard, but being able to do simple differentiation or integration problems doesn't mean you can do all of them

>trig sub
>hard
psst... [math]\sqrt{x^2 + 9x}[/math] hints that this is the hypotenuse of a right-triangle

Your highschool math teachers probably have (at most) a BA in mathematics teaching. They rarely know what they're talking about.

Calculus is very easy once you get the hand of it. Like any other analytical or procedural thought, you'll only get the hang of it through repeated exposure. In other words, learn the basic theorems, then solve a fuckload of problems.

The only people I know who have difficulty with calculus are people who didn't use it often enough when they were supposed to be learning it.

pretty much this, my high school teacher didn't really know shit.

Something i'd add is it strangely gets easier from 2 - 3, the more tools you have the less difficult the problems actually are.

Teachers are only required to get BAs in whatever subject they plan on teaching.

Kek, not true at all. I see most people drop out in their first proofs class. Then a lot in real/complex analysis or algebra.
Plenty of calculus stars crash and burn.

if you can do algebra, you can do calculus. if you can "get" it, that's a different story, but that usually isn't as helpful during finals week

the only thing of value in precalc is trig

Calculus its a very easy subject of math, but it easily turn into a difficult thing if you don't know the basic.

Its alright. I'm convinced that any retard with enough determination and assistance could figure it out, so if you're taking it you should be alright.

hard the first time around. it gets easier

>Plenty of calculus stars crash and burn.

>tfw calculus 1-3 was harder for me than analysis and proof based courses

I can follow my Real Analysis 3 topics without difficulty but "Calculus", like the stuff in Stewart's feels like such a slog.

What's wrong with my brain?

I see your point and I also see the dissent. I've known quite a few people who thought they wanted to go to college and study math, but changed their minds after doing terribly in calculus. That's maybe the coarsest breaking point, but you'll see it again in things like multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and real analysis. Linear algebra (ime) is the place where a lot of math students drop it. Linear algebra courses typically aren't very hard, but there is a big difference between doing proofs and variable olympics. On the other hand I know a guy who sucked at calculus but was an absolute wizard when it came to abstract algebra and number theory. I know that's kind of an anomaly, but it goes to show how broad the term "math" is and how one can have strengths and weaknesses in different fields and even different topics within a field (and even different aspects of a topic within a field).

I don't consider myself "good" at math, and I would say it is exactly "easy," but it's not incredibly difficult. The difficulty is greatly overblown by people without a solid understanding of algebra and trig.

Right, math is cumulative more so than a lot of other disciplines. For example I never took a religion, philosophy, psychology, or history course in high school, but I got good grades in all of those courses in high school. That isn't rare or special. Taking calculus in high school having never taken a math course in high school would have been incredibly difficult.

Nothing is wrong with it, I'm more or less the same way. But for most of the people I've seen, proof based classes are more difficult.

No. Not hard. It's hard if you suck at algebra or somehow find yourself allergic to homework. The hardest parts of calculus are the algebra.

I had very poor teachers in high school, I definitely felt behind having to teach myself a lot of stuff going into college.

I really think the fact that you hear "calc/Ochem/Pchem/(whatever challenging course here) is just SOOO hard" constantly is what trips more people up than anything else. People go into a lot of these courses thinking they'll never understand, so they don't try, they fail, and then they perpetuate that line of thinking.

That's what I found, as well, the algebra is harder for me than the calculus. That just takes practice and refining your skills in algebra.

>The hardest parts of calculus are the algebra.

This depends. Some people are more naturally good at the geometry aspects, other people like manipulating formulas more.

this

>physics students complaining about having to do proofs only once they've reached graduate school

good lord if you haven't been taught mathematics rigorously you haven't been taught mathematics at all, it's all just accounting and mindless calculations

t. math and physics dual major, I know exactly what the physics "math methods" courses were like (a joke)

to op: no it's not as long as you use your fucking brain, paid attention in algebra, and can remember some pointless identities. teachers hype it up as the hardest math because they're pretty much clueless about what math is to begin with, it's a cruel joke that k-12 education puts you through

That's because everything in analysis is justified. In calculus, the arguments are all made willy nilly and where the theorems are thrown at you and all you do is solve problems.

Calc is the 'hardest' math as it involves all concepts learned before it. The concepts of calculus aren't difficult, but they involve most of what you learned the years before.