So here's something a bit different for sci, What does this board think about the Navy Nuclear Power Program...

So here's something a bit different for sci, What does this board think about the Navy Nuclear Power Program? Quality of education and it's difficulty are all fair topics to cover.

Other urls found in this thread:

catalog.rpi.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=5&poid=1098&returnto=108
slate.com/articles/life/inside_higher_ed/2013/11/ivy_league_schools_ranking_veteran_enrollment.html
veterans.osu.edu/
collegefactual.com/colleges/cornell-university/
collegefactual.com/colleges/ohio-state-university-main-campus/student-life/veterans/
collegefactual.com/colleges/florida-state-university/student-life/veterans/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This doesn't have much to do with IQ so it wont go very far.

I'm in it right now, it sucks.

>Navy Nuclear Power Program

don't do it. my brother in law is a nuke. he lost 20lbs last deployment because the sub tender that was supposed to deliver them food got delayed by 2 weeks and the whole crew was living off bread and water.

Yeah but what about actually BEING a nuke. life on a sub sucks, price you pay for being on a sub. So what is the job like?

>So what is the job like

mountains of tedious paperwork. anything nuclear is going to have DoE embedded inside of your anus.

they have a saying "if the paperwork doesn't weigh more than the replacement part, you did something wrong".

ask yourself why the Navy is offering hundreds of thousands of dollars in sign up bonuses to do this job.

hint: its not because its so difficult nobody can do it

Nice try, navy recruiter

Definitely would like more info, my brother did this and really wants me to enlist to go as an ET or something. 6 years sounds like a damn long time

See this concept confuses the hell out of me, it makes it seem like the there is no point in the nuclear program.

If it's not difficult enough to justify the two year training pipeline why spend the money on that pipeline if it's not really that hard? If the navy is artificially inflating the difficulty to serve as a barrier to entry why have the huge enlistment and reenlistment bonuses?

If the job isn't that hard they're is no need to have the training be as difficult as it is, especially as difficult as it was in the past. If the difficulty is entirely due to poor living conditions and arbitrary gating why spend money on two years of Nuke Tech training?

the subject matter itself is not challenging. the enlisted pipeline is rather watered down compared to a standard nuclear engineering curriculum.

whats difficult is the fact that they lock you together with a bunch of other nerds for 2 years straight and a single fuck up gets your security clearance revoked. attrition happens from disciplinary concerns. you are in the military, you study how they tell you to study, work how they tell you to work, and shit how they tell you to shit. 18-22 year old guys don't usually like doing stuff like that, especially intelligent young guys.

those bonuses are supposed to make up for the absolutely atrocious quality of life you have as a nuke, and if you look at how ludicrous the reenlistment bonuses are it reminds you that it doesn't get better after your first tour.

If you want to be a nuclear engineer, study nuclear engineering in college.

If you want to be a nuclear technician in a navy submarine, then do this program. This program does not train engineers, at most it'll give you a year's worth of college transfer credits you can use towards an engineering degree.

>at most it'll give you a year's worth of college transfer credits you can use towards an engineering degree.

at some fly-by-night engineering school maybe. any institution of renown will laugh at your navy "'''transcript""". most are lucky to get their electives knocked out.

t. guy who got out of the navy and went to college

RPI's not the greatest school, but it's not complete trash.

catalog.rpi.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=5&poid=1098&returnto=108

why in the fuck would you do that to yourself?

the GI bill will literally pay for a full ride at a top tier ivy league. you should be shooting the moon when you get out, not settling for some cut rate college just so you can maybe graduate a semester early.

How many GI bill users to go top schools?

I can answer that, only 168.

slate.com/articles/life/inside_higher_ed/2013/11/ivy_league_schools_ranking_veteran_enrollment.html

The reasons pretty obvious. If you're smart enough to get into Harvard after years in the military, then chances are you could've gotten a full ride out of high school and didn't need to join the military at all.

most vets never use their GI bill. they usually end up giving it to their kids.

the number of vets at ivy leagues is pretty much the same as at any other school. and you kind of missed my point entirely. if you had a blank check for college, why would you settle?

You wouldn't. But you're missing the point that just because you have the money to pay for Harvard doesn't mean they'll let you in. In fact money matters very little to top schools as most are need-blind and give generous amounts of scholarships to students who need it.

>In fact money matters very little to top schools as most are need-blind and give generous amounts of scholarships to students who need it.

you seriously underestimate the amount of people who are good enough to get in but not get a full ride.

The yield rate of Harvard is 80%. MIT is 74%. So 1 in 4 or 5 turn down these schools, possibly for financial reasons. That's not a lot.

and if you want to compare numbers only 22% of the people who actually use their GI bill are applying to 4 year institutions.

you think 168 isn't alot, but it its quite good for ivy leagues. compare it to the veteran ratio of any top 50 state school and you will see that its similar if not better.

Cornell 48 veterans, 22k students
Ohio State 1800 veterans, 65k students

veterans.osu.edu/

>veterans, dependents, and Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve members

yeah, i'm talking guys who served. not their wives or their kids. remember what i said about most vets giving their GI bill to their kids?

>Of the 14,282 undergraduate students at Cornell University, 187 of them are Post-9/11 G.I. Bill ® recipients as reported by the VA

collegefactual.com/colleges/cornell-university/

>Of the 44,741 undergraduate students at Ohio State University - Main Campus, 1,797 of them are Post-9/11 G.I. Bill ® recipients as reported by the VA

collegefactual.com/colleges/ohio-state-university-main-campus/student-life/veterans/

>Of the 32,948 undergraduate students at Florida State University, 926 of them are Post-9/11 G.I. Bill ® recipients as reported by the VA

collegefactual.com/colleges/florida-state-university/student-life/veterans/

Alright then compare directly the number of GI bill recipients. The ratios are still not comparable unless you plan to give me some bullshit reason why the recipients at Ohio and Florida state are all dependents while the ones at Cornell are all veterans.

>What does this board think about the Navy Nuclear Power Program?

Uhm... essential for large surface ships?

What exactly are you asking?

The answer you just gave is like responding to the question "What does Veeky Forums think of MIT's mechatronics program" with "Well it's essential for making new mechatronic engineers"