Worth the read or is it a meme?

Worth the read or is it a meme?

I thought this was better than TBK.

its great but only the first time. definitely better than notes from the underground.

Literally get out.

you're a meme

>Literally get out.
As opposed to metaphorically?

are you playing with the fact there is actually a valid metaphorical usage of 'get out' as opposed to the literal 'get out,' which would mean getting off of Veeky Forums?

or is this just a poorly thought out reaction to the use of 'literally,' which is actually completely fine here?

>there is actually a valid metaphorical usage of 'get out'
In this context, I think not.

Yes there is, it's like a forget about it type of thing. Insisting the person said something crazy like ahhhh get out here man, not literal. English isn't even my mother tongue and that may have been one of the first idioms I learned.
Uhh yeah its an amazing text

>Hear endless praise for dostoevsky
>Start reading Notes from Underground
>Nothing but obfuscation rambling
>People consider this 'literature'

The guy is 100% meme material

use brain.

thank you.

>Reading Dosty in English

memes are just ideas spread around, why is that a bad thing

You started with Notes you fucking dumbass. Probably took the "muh short read to say Ive read him" bait. At least pick up The Double or The Gambler if you're going that route. Or grow a pair and jump into The Brothers K.

read brothers karamazov and make sure you have a good translation.

literally stahp

What's the gold standard?

> Literally can't be used figuratively.

Notes from Underground is great.

>this year
>reading books

Nah, they go together. Raskolnikov could've written Notes, and Notes is explicitly referenced numerous times in C&P.

Definitely not just a meme

you're a fucking pleb

you don't read NFU first. kys.
you probably read the P&V translation because your idiot friend, the only friend you've got because you're a total dolt, told you to.

translations of russian lit are dubious, especially for the first part of NFU.

read C&P first, or if you only want to read one by dostoevsky, then read brothersK.

you fucking pleb, kys, etc.

And for the love of god people- please start reading Marian Schwartz translations. she's already put out fantastic translations of oblomov, a hero of our time, white guard, and AK.

Definitely worth the read.
And I agree. Notes From the Underground is also great.
Let it also be said, the Underground Man is supposed to be insufferable and the way he "rambles" contributes to this - he's not meant to be a liked character; he acts as a lesson. Anyone who admires his character should be sent to therapy and labelled a raging narcissist.

>You started with Notes you fucking dumbass
trips confirm

I just looked, and all my Dostoevsky is Constance Garnett. Should I kill myself?

Which is the better book out of C&P and TBK to read after reading NFU?

Also is the P&V Everyman's edition the best one to buy?

I didn't like it, but I have never been stuck by guilt for something I have done so maybe there is something wrong with my brain. Also even if I had some massive feeling of guilt, my sense of self preservation would seriously out weigh it.

oliver ready/P&V (if you have to), for c&p

read CP first if you plan on reading all three.

yes. she whitewashes it to buggery.

Read it. TBK is better, but its still worth the read, even if it is long.

I recently finished the Brothers Karamazov and my only question is What exactly is the point of reading? Like am I supposed to have learned a lesson from reading it? Why did I read this book?

spooky

Don't listen to . He has no idea what he's saying.
Oliver or McDuff for C&P
Avsey or McDuff for Karamazov

Avoid P&V.

One of my favorite books desu.

C&M is great

Are you wearing sunglasses and a leather jacket right now?

Why avoid P&V? Please don't give me a meme response.

Because she's mainstream

What does Veeky Forums think of "The Possessed"? Its my favorite and yet i hardly see anyone mention it.

go read it and decide for yourself faggot.

Don't read it but probably the same overwritten, tedious stuff as TBK and CP.

Reading it right now, I'm really enjoying the interplay about meaning between kirillov, shatov and pyotr. As a political document it isn't strong but it's much better as a philosophical one

My first dostoevsky novel was C&P, listen man if you never read him before and you like reading novels that romanticize poverty and the lower class of the 19th century as well as the mental anguish of a criminal with apathetic genius then I defiantly recommend it.

I personally loved the book and am currently just starting notes from the underground.

really like it. camus turned it into a play you might be interested to know. alos if you haven't already read Nechayev's revolutionary catechism

Not at all, Garnett is excellent in spite of censoring some things. It's incredibly rare when she does though, and the text still comes through very well.

Probably Crime and Punishment by merit of being shorter and more focused. The Brothers Karamazov is really the culmination of all that he wrote, and has at least a little bit of everything in it.

Have you read it more than once? It definitely holds up even after the first read. There's a lot going on in it.

>It definitely holds up even after the first read.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You can't go wrong with P&V, although it's all down to preference I suppose. As for Everyman's. I have some books published by them. They're good but some of the letters are a bit smeared, not to the point of being unreadable mind you. However it was not something I expected seeing how even Penguin Classics doesn't have smeared letters while their books are significantly cheaper. Overall, their books are high quality though.

Nabokov was an autistic hack