How much of an effect would it have on the world if the value of 1 was changed to 1.5?

How much of an effect would it have on the world if the value of 1 was changed to 1.5?

pointlessly ill defined question. try again. (or dont. please, unless you can think of something more thoughtful to discuss)

Incorrect.

Everything would be 50% larger. And we would have evolved to be 50% shorter. Also due to 1.5x gravity it would be much harder to achieve orbit. Lastly OP would be 1.5x more of a faggot, reaching levels of faggotry science never thought possible.

This question is retarded

Then why was it first asked by Einstein himself?

The loch ness monster would be demanding fie-twenny-fie.

Because Einstein was obviously retarded.

It was his autism.

Yeah, this wouldn't work. Even ignoring things like replacing 1 apple with 1.5 apples, a square of unit side length also has unit area. So you can't replace its length and area with 1.5 at the same time without changing its shape.

If you mean multiplying all lengths by 1.5, for example, then afaik it's an open question whether the laws of physics are scale invariant. So there really isn't much to say.

No 1.5 knows.

I chuckled.

We would just use a different number base and call you a retard

LoL

This is terribly worded. A better (but still iffy) way of putting it would be, "What are the consequences of scaling everything up 50%?"

1=1.5
(Times 2) 2=3
(Minus 2) 0=1
>All numbers are 'number' x 1.
But 1=0.
Therefore all numbers are 0.

It would give new meaning to having 2.5 kids (it would be 3.75)

The average American family would be 2.875 children large. Say hello to your brother and most of your sister

clever 1.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5.5

DUMB QUESTION IF 1 WAS 50% LARGER EVERYTHING WOULD BE 50% LARGER INCLUDE EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE MEASURED AND EVERYTHING THAT IS USED TO MEASURE SO YOU WOULDN'T EVEN REALIZE ANYTHING WAS DIFFERENT

/thread

>sage
sage

okay but did you have to spit so much while saying that? geese...

> IF 1 WAS 50% LARGER EVERYTHING WOULD BE 50% LARGER
Including areas and volumes?
checkm8 m9

If every value of 1 was changed to 1.5 this would mean a cube of sidelength 1 and area 1 would have sidelength 1.5 and area 1.5 but it should have area 27/8 if it has sidelength 1.5. Congratulations, you broke math by making 1=1.5.

Nothing would change

Everything would change. He worded it badly but our professor did a 4 hour lecture on what he's essentially asking.

This is semantics, but 1 is 1 because it is a unit in a system. If 1 was 1.5, then one could argue that the 1.5 would occupy the same position in said system, and therefore would be conceptually indistinguishable from 1

I'd argue that due to quantum physics the actual value of 1 itself changing would mean the expansion of everything with a 1+ value, effectively causing a derivative that would cause a ripple effect on every other value.

>"Let's make 1=1.5"
>"Huh, we're getting weird results from this contradiction"
>"We broke maths XD How surprising XDDD"
>"Let's turn this into a 4 hour lecture"

Everyone would have to learn slightly different semantics, thats it

Well, everyone got an A in Calc 3 after it so you tell me whether it was a waste of time.

You mean Calc 4.5

Just the kind of wit i'd expect on this board. Well played sir, well played.

To answer great questions, one must first be aware of the questions. To ask as much as possible is the key to success. Just solve the more poignant questions and just dabble around with the bullshit until you get something of value.
Metaphor time. It's still a pile of shit even if you find a diamond in it. The pile of shit being all questions asked, and the diamond being useful questions, leading to discovery of relativity and such.
TL;DR its not stupid to ask such questions if you're also thinking actively with them. It seems like OP just asked it without thinking though. So fuck you OP, it's stupid.

>Things kids think of on the shitter: example post

hahaha yes

What does this question even mean? 1 isn't just some variable that you can define as any value. Primitive numbers came from real world experiences (ie. I have 1 apple, I pick up a second one, now I have 2 apples). We use symbols to describe the value of a number (1, 2, 3... etc.) but the value itself is inherent.

If I assume that an apple is a discrete unit, I cannot simply hold up that apple and declare that I have 1.5 apples, unless our current symbol for "1" was switched to "1.5". However, the mathematics would still be the same, because the symbol we use to describe the value of 1 is irrelevant to its function.

Perhaps this question was intending to address what would happen if mass, gravity, etc. were all scaled up by 50%?

Ouuu, that's good

Every life form would be radically different. Your cardiovascular system would not be viable if diameters and lengths were scaled up by 1.5X. Yours lungs would have radically different surface area, and the reynolds number of blood and prandtl number would not even be close to optimized for any conditions. I'm actually thinking about this incorrectly. Do we start with an earth with 1.5 X diameter and 1.5X surface gravity, 1.5X diameter and 1.5 density? or 1.5X radius 1.5 density, or 1.5 surface gravity and 1.5 surface area? really it doesn't make any sense. shit would be different.

Really any process or occurence that dimensionless numbers are useful to describe would be radically different.

Well for one, my BBC would be 50% larger than it already is.

Whitey can't compete now, definitely can't compete after.

Yes, thats what scale-invariance means.

Somehow You managed to fuck up at the first line

My iq would be 135

> How much of an effect would it have on the world if the value of 1 was changed to 1.5?

You cant change the value of numbers.

It's a silly thing to talk about.