Shortest yet deepest books you know

What are the shortest books out there that also happen to be the deepest and most jam packed? I'm trying to gain knowledge but not waste too much time. ya feel?

I have no mouth and I must scream.

>gain knowledge

So you're looking for non-fiction?

Read it already. Well, technically, audiobooked it

Vonnegut's books are short enough to be read in a day and I personally like them, though he's admittedly very accessible and not as deep as people like to think he is.
Plays tend to be very short. Willy's stuff has far more depth than most writers could dream of cramming into a novel.

Well, either really... Non-fiction primarily. Fiction if it is worth my time.

Well, either really. Non-fiction primarily, but fiction if it is worth my time.

>For sale: Baby shoes. Never worn.
Damn...

Honestly, the graphic adventure is the complete experience.
It may be the only book where the video game version is the ultimate version.

I do like Vonnegut short stories quite a bit. I have worked through a handful of them. 2BR02B is a good one and that one about the machine with the sound from space or whatever... which ones do you recommend the most?

Really? I had seen it on steam before but never bought it. I loved the way it looked. I might try it out now. Thanks for the recommendation. I know that some here hate vidya games, but the right kind that sets a good environment are honestly my favorite form of media.

You might enjoy The Girl Who Was Plugged In, a short proto-cyberpunk novella. The pdf I read was about 30 pages.
Also The Electric Ant by PKD is very good and short.

Also, You said the only book where the video game was better... Are there other such video games based on books? I'd love to play them.

Thanks for these. Just looked them up. Both look worth my time.

Depends on how you define short, but the first books that come to mind are "The Stranger" by Albert Camus and "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka.

Also, you likely won't gain much knowledge if you aren't willing to sacrifice the time. Sounds more like you're trying to get through a few books for the sake of your image.

Agree. I don't find Vonnegut to be deep at all - he's more in the "entertainment read" category as far I'm concerned.

The Circular Ruins by Borges is like 3 pages.

Well, to be honest, I do read longer books as well. I'm currently on the home stretch of Moby Dick, I am wrapping up the first volume of Les Mis, and I am 100 pages into Gravity's rainbow. I just wanted some less daunting tasks to take down on my down time.
Plus I got all dez girls to git with. Amirit?

There are a lot of games based on Lord of the Rings. Also a couple Discworld point and click games and text adventure games based on Hitchhiker's Guide and Shogun by James Clavell, which you've probably seen in every used bookstore you've ever been in. Parasite Eve is also based on a novel.

Thought of a couple more, there are many many adventure games based on Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew etc. Mystery novels are ripe source material for this genre. Also American McGee's Alice and pic related, based on the most classic and beloved children's book series of our time.

Read some Borges.
His work is nothing but essays and short stories, but it's pretty fun.
He plays a lot with genres, motifs and metafaggotry.
He is actually the reason why I love reading and my Veeky Forums husbando.
Also, Sabato may not have short books, but his books are more of an assortment of essays and short rants presented through an almost insignificant central plot.
As a spic i must rec La abadía del crimen (based on The Name of the Rose). It's probably the pinnacle of 8-bit programming and the complete virtual friar experience. There are some very slight differences between the game and the book because Umberto Eco was too retarded to allow them to use the original name, but some patches can be applied to fix it.

Siddhartha competes but im behind this guy on circular ruins.

Sweet! I love mystery. I'm gonna have to do some more research on steam when I get the time for some of these sherlock holmes games. Nancy drew rocks btw.

I will definitely check out some Borges and Sabato. Also, Thank you so much for mentioning La abadia del crimen... I had no idea this existed and my life just became so much more joyful. I WANT THE VIRTUAL FRIAR EXPERIENCE!

The little prince

Akutagawa's Jigokuhen

Cortázar short stories. Some short stories in Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, by Murakami. I second The Stranger and The Metamorphosis. I'd say Los Cachorros by Vargas Llosa, but I'm not sure there's an English translation that's worth it. Also read my short story >cringe