(Stoop) if you are abcedminded, to this claybook, what curios of sings (please stoop)...

>(Stoop) if you are abcedminded, to this claybook, what curios of sings (please stoop), in this allaphbed! Can you rede (since We and Thou had it out already) its world?

A bit rude.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TV3vT5nW_I4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orange_and_the_Green
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>With lipth she lithpeth to him all to time of thuch on thuch and thow on thow.

What did he mean by this?

>abcedminded

Indeed disserves ignobel prize for that expressing aline. but "though he might have been more humble, there's no police like Holmes"; endeed Choyce's honesty clears everything.

>Indeed disserves ignobel prize for that expressing aline

Brékkek

Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

why the fuck did he do this. why the fuck did he waste so much fucking time on this stupid ass book. it makes me so mad. goddammit.

>with lips she whispers to him all the time of such-and-such and now-and-now

He was high a lot on morphine I think, which he got because of his eye operation.

This. He could have written Ulysses on steroids instead.

Inb4 FW is just that
It's not, it's gibberish.

It is on Ulysses on steroids. The point of steroids is that they exceed the natural limitations we have as humans. FW is exactly that, and, as a result, gibberish (to us mere mortals).

ulysses is garbaged cliché talk compared to fw

>such-and-such and so-and-so
my bad

Are you the fabled prankquean?

It's not gibberish, just cryptic. Here's the first thunderword being explained by Joyce Geek in the series "Don't Panic: It's Only Finnegans Wake"

youtube.com/watch?v=TV3vT5nW_I4

Wasn't he mentally coherent when he wrote Wake?

He had a very well ordered filing cabinet of words, their etymologies and words they sound like in several languages. Beckett wrote about it, he helped Joyce with it when he couldn't see well.

Exactly. He probably couldn't have been drugged out of his mind if he was etymologically stringing together words from multiple languages.

How about this?

>The lads is attending school nessans regular, sir, spelling beesknees with hathatansy and turning out tables by mudapplication.

>mfw the oranges have been laid to rust upon the green

Is that the most famous line from FW? It's very beautiful. Orange and green can represent Protestantism and Catholicism and also the colors of the flag. Orange laid to "rust/rest" on the green, perhaps denoting Joyce's concerns of Protestant usurpation of Ireland?

>The lads is attending school nessans regular, sir
The lads are attending school lessons regularly (southern accent with a lisp)
>spelling beesknees with
referring to both spelling bees and the term 'beesknees', a word kids used for 'cool'
>hathatansy
I'm not sure, it sounds like "hesitancy" spoken by someone with a lisp, makes sense in the spelling bee context
>and turning out tables by mudapplication.
turning out tables by multiplication(times tables, something kids learn in math). "turning out tables by [mud-application]" probably alludes to the lads playing in the mud during recess then sitting at tables and getting them all muddy so the tables get replaced with other tables while they're cleaned
>the lads are attending school lessons regularly, sir, spelling bees with hesitancy, and doing times-tables by multiplication.

Sir spelling
S-spelling
Business (busy-ness) with hesitancy

According to finnegansweb.com, yes.

Nice. I remember the color split from an old folk song.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orange_and_the_Green

Oh! It's "lessons." I kept thinking "nessans" was a quick and weird way of saying "and everything is." That makes more sense. I also like the mud and spelling bee things you mentioned. Didn't even think of that.

Green might also be refering to the Swedish (and probably Danish and Norwegian) word for branch (gren).

makes sense considering the phrase 'bee's knees' is actually derived from 'business'
>that's the business
>that's the bees knees
forgot about that

Masturbatory horseshit

The last is attending school (knowledge?) in essence/naissance (birth) regular Sir (ruler) spelling beesknees (spelling out the workers needs/worker bees/business, bees impirtant for orchards btw) with hathatansy (a tansy is a perennial, the bees have a tansy?) and turning out tables (turning our tables) by mudapplication (mud - what Adam was made from, apple - the fall fruit of knowledge etc, multiplication - Adam multiplying made all of us, he is the true everyman).

So even tho Adam fell from grace in pursuing knowledge, we who are Adam will continue this pursuit to the last to regain grace?

I also expected 'the lads is' to be a Greek work. Dialysis.

Jesus.

I suppose that Adam interpretation goes in line with the >"'Tisraely the truth!" line that comes afterward (Israel, Jerusalem, etc.).

Ever heard of 'shit'posting? Think now of related ways.

:)))))))))))))))))))
:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))fuck

>and turning out tables (turning our tables
I missed an obvious one... Also turning out Abels

Shitty little suckboy

and they all drank free

That one might be a stretch.

Masturbatory, of course. Horseshit, no.

wonderful

It's not impossible.
You can stretch finnegans wake like there's no tomorrow. It generates new and unintended meaning because it's just so complicated. Entire books could be written about the first couple pages

Entire books *have* been written about the first couple pages.

Not so. Firstly because morphine doesn't inhibit cognitive ability in the same way, say, alcohol, marijuana, or benzodiazepines do (not to mention drugs affect people in radically different ways). And secondly, if you're as blindingly luminous as Joyce was, then it's safe to say that regardless of any potential cognitive inhibitors he probably could still be able to perform his insanely unique literary mind tricks: even a mentally atrophied Joyce trumps a steroidal [insert (post-)modernist author here] any day. Think John Nash and his schizophrenia, Malcolm Lowry (and countless other writers) and their alcoholism, Hunter S. Thompson.

Also: I'm on oxycodone as I write this, which might explain the potentially ostensible convolution, depending on the actually efficacy of my arguments.

All this discussion is exactly why I'm loving this book, I hope to lend my own interpretations and help out others once I'm finished.

I will probably re-read again with an accompaniment to learn more about it since I know I'm missing 90% of it on this first read-through. The word flow, phrasing, the phonetics are all brilliant though and inspiring from a poetic perspective.

>waaah I'm mad because someone is smarter than me and wrote something I can't understand waaaaah

>why the fuck did he waste so much fucking time on this stupid ass book

He was rich, and he wasn't part of the STEM master race to acutally reach any tangible progress in anything. This is conspicuous consumption at its finest-of time, in his case. And no references to good ole Vico can save him.

Pairing cannabis with benzos and alcohol is inaccurate. For non-regular users it can be difficult to think, but I definitely think better and am more productive with cannabis. I've been able to compare the quality of my work and reflect on my state of mind and productivity with and without since I was on it for about 2 years daily, stopped for 5 months last year, resumed for a few months, and have been off again for 2-3 months. When I have it I do more work and the quality of my work is the same with or without.

any suggestions on some of them? I've heard a short lecture on the intro once but it was by someone not particularly qualified.

Ok, substitute 'inhibit' with 'alter' then and I believe we're on the same page. Also:

>not to mention drugs affect people in radically different ways

>conspicuous consumption of time

So, conspicuous leisure, you fucking mong.

I find cannabis to be like a mild mental laxative almost. The next day I feel very mentally unblocked.

I'll agree to that. I'm normally a pretty cynical, depressed, pessimistic person, so alteration can be in a good way. basically this: alright I'm done derailing with my vapenation fuckery. Go back to discussing beautiful complexity while I watch like thumb suckling infant.

Go and go share en

>It generates new and unintended meaning
>unintended
Most meaning you can derive is not unintended. Joyce was aware of multiple multiple meanings of what he was writing, he intentionally wrote it like that.

It's a book that you can get to the end of, go back to the beginning and read again and it's a different book. So be prepared for intentional plurality.

>Also: I'm on oxycodone as I write this, which might explain the potentially ostensible convolution, depending on the actually efficacy of my arguments.
This is a major point against Joyce on painkiller desu ;^)

The argument that he was just drugged up is like the argument that Joyce was having a mental break and writing word salad: it's to put the work down as unreadable or not literary or meaningless in some way. Which isn't true.

>leisure
It's like calling smartphone games or browsing reddit "leisure"; I can't imagine writing this was any more stimulating.

But of course this cannot be a deficiency on your own part.

maybe he's just talking about composting the old moldy oranges with the week's grass clippings

Doubtful. I read Batrachomyomachia, Vico, etc., so I understand quite a few references on the first few pages, which doesn't make it any funnier.

Ulysses is a shitty book, and that stream of consciousness is the shit icing on the shit cake, but I can forgive all of its flaws for that part where Bloom travels through hell, if only for the versatility of style; there is no justification for FW.

Whoops, didn't mean to seem to imply that—I totally agree with you.

>so I understand quite a few references
I think you understand that there are references, but it's like the cryptic crossword: it may seem obvious if I know the answer already but not everyone is able to solve the clues. FW is almost like a massive IQ test in how much you can get out of it.

>which doesn't make it any funnier
Ah yes, the mark of great literature, funniness. While a book whose structure is outlined with fart noises obviously isn't taking itself too seriously, I wouldn't expect laugh a minute prose out of this.

>Hootch is for husbandman handling his hoe.

That's a good twitter page

You haven't read Ulysses or FW you poser

Not true.

"I skimmed some analysis articles and wikipedia on Joyce and now I'm gonna shitpost about him on a Mongolian throat singing board"

lol

You can't read, you can't think. There's no discernible intelligence

Deep....

Really makes you think

Puns are the lowest form of literature.

Finnegans Wake is a shit novel, very third-rate.

Yeah, I actually read the whole thing because I had to. I was entering a prestigious PhD program and focusing on Joyce because I loved Dubliners, Portrait, and Ulysses. To my shame, though, I'd never read the Wake. I'd never even tried, as hard as that was to admit. It was this huge blind spot and area of vulnerability for me. Whenever it'd come up with my colleagues I'd just smile and nod, smile and nod, hoping they wouldn't ask me anything specific about it. "The musicality of it," somebody would say, and I'd say, "Oh God, yes, it's like Beethoven." Finally, though, I had to dive into it, and let me tell you it was tough going. Joseph Campbell's guide helped a lot. Reading it out loud helped. I listened to other people read it, read online commentaries. Eventually it started to make some sort of sense. It was like I was learning to read for the first time again, and in a way this was enjoyable. I got better at reading the book. Soon I was reading entire paragraphs without trouble, getting the puns, laughing at the jokes. I could sort of follow the story, it was like a blurry picture resolving into clarity, or like I was drunk and I was sobering up, I could actually understand it. As I became more and more adept at reading the Wake, I began putting myself to the test, initiating conversations with my colleagues about it, but specific passages this time, specific parts of the book. You can probably guess what happened. After a number of these conversations it became blindingly obvious that I understood the book a lot better than they did, they who I thought were the experts. It eventually became sort of embarrassing for them and I stopped trying to talk about it. And at the end of the day I would pack my things, catch the bus home, and settle into my apartment to read the Wake. It had surpassed all of Joyce's other works in my estimation. Ulysses, the book months earlier I would've named as my favorite of all time, the best book ever written, was now #2 to the Wake.

ok

FW is fun and funny. Don't be so bitter.

That's not the whole pasta. That's not the whole pasta!

O tell me all about Anna Livia! I want to hear all about Anna Livia. Well, you know Anna Livia? Yes, of course, we all know Anna Livia. Tell me all. Tell me now. You'll die when you hear.

Yes. Yes it is

Yeah, I actually read the whole thing because I had to. I was entering a prestigious PhD program and focusing on Joyce because I loved Dubliners, Portrait, and Ulysses. To my shame, though, I'd never read the Wake. I'd never even tried, as hard as that was to admit. It was this huge blind spot and area of vulnerability for me. Whenever it'd come up with my colleagues I'd just smile and nod, smile and nod, hoping they wouldn't ask me anything specific about it. "The musicality of it," somebody would say, and I'd say, "Oh God, yes, it's like Beethoven." Finally, though, I had to dive into it, and let me tell you it was tough going. Joseph Campbell's guide helped a lot. Reading it out loud helped. I listened to other people read it, read online commentaries. Eventually it started to make some sort of sense. It was like I was learning to read for the first time again, and in a way this was enjoyable. I got better at reading the book. Soon I was reading entire paragraphs without trouble, getting the puns, laughing at the jokes. I could sort of follow the story, it was like a blurry picture resolving into clarity, or like I was drunk and I was sobering up, I could actually understand it. As I became more and more adept at reading the Wake, I began putting myself to the test, initiating conversations with my colleagues about it, but specific passages this time, specific parts of the book. You can probably guess what happened. After a number of these conversations it became blindingly obvious that I understood the book a lot better than they did, they who I thought were the experts. It eventually became sort of embarrassing for them and I stopped trying to talk about it. And at the end of the day I would pack my things, catch the bus home, and settle into my apartment to read the Wake. It had surpassed all of Joyce's other works in my estimation. Ulysses, the book months earlier I would've named as my favorite of all time, the best book ever written, was now #2 to the Wake. So majestic, so ambitious, so wide-ranging, erudite, glorious, incredible was it that I couldn't believe that it was the work of one man. Best of all, the heart of it isn't complicated at all. What did I get from the Wake, what are its lessons? First of all, be yourself. Second of all, put one foot in front of the other. And lastly, just do it for crying out loud, time's a wastin'!

Nope. Portrait is alright, sometimes funny, Ulysses is passable only because I grew up on Borges's pastiches, Dubliners is a good, solid work, perhaps the closest the West has ever come to Dostoevsky, and FW is unexcusable masturbatory dreck.

t. 18 and read wikipedia

t. stanislaus

Are copypastas inherently anti-intellectual?

Satire is worse than puns. At least Finnegans Wake is honest.

*Puns are the highest form of literature.

Three quarks for Muster Mark!

There were a bunch of nerds in high school that used to go on about how "quark" should be / was really pronounced. Apparently some pop scientist had a sperg about it in an intro to some book. "Quark as in walk" they used to jabber. Idiots.

Forsooth it be (top jej) to thine peperoni, which glydes uncööperativély on Ye (uowrhgelkhn) that

I don't even know what quark is supposed to mean. I feel like it's a portmanteau of "clap" and "hark" (e.g., "hark, it's Mister Mark!")

1/10

There's obvious coherence in it. Check out Timothy Leary's analysis for example.

It's most straightforward meaning is "three quarts [of beer] for Mister Mark" as if they're doing rounds at a bar. Quark's also a kind of soft cheese.

I've heard people argue that Joyce wouldn't have known what quark was, but it's so stupidly common in Switzerland and would have been in Trieste also, he'd have had to been locked in a box or something to not know about it and accidentally have used the word there.

I literally can't get past 'riverrun'
Who the fuck starts a book with a lowercase character? I literally though I was missing a page. I had to go online and check if this is indeed how the book starts.
I'm so fucking mad. As if that wasn't enough, autists say, 'Wow! Great book. It's a must read' NO! Fuck off. REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This actually made me laugh.

Mark the Wans, why do I am alook alike a poss of porterpease?

rain to farking woeman's land!

This actually made me physically cringe.