What causes gravity?

What causes gravity?
So I'm undergrad in geology and we were talking about how planets form from accretion, which makes sense. Like, gravity attracts smaller masses to bigger masses, sure. But what makes it act this way? By extent, where do any of the 4 fundamental forces come from?

Help me Veeky Forums, I haven't been this mindfucked since I first thought about the conception of the universe.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jlTVIMOix3I
youtube.com/watch?v=BWyTxCsIXE4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mass

Symmetries

Gravitons, we haven't discovered them yet tho

>What causes gravity?

negative entropy

hypotheses non fingo

>What causes gravity?
Your mother desu.

i found this vid very helpful in understanding some of the concepts around this topic

youtube.com/watch?v=jlTVIMOix3I

But why does mass warp spacetime?

because it's heavy ofc

mass is a number

You are being pushed to Earth, not pulled. Emptiness is what is pushing you.

Swamp gas

electronegativity; they flocculate like a fine clay suspended in the water column user !

gravity comes from love

>warping of spacetime
So basically nothing that will be covered in a 100-level rock class.

I do appreciate the serious answer tho

>What causes gravity?

Dank Memes.

TU GFA

Because that's how it is defined. Mass is the thing that makes space-time warp. And this warp gives it acceleration which we detect as weight.

You know that physics is an obeservatory science. If you have found a mathematical modell that fits all known observations, your work is done.
At least until someone observes something that cannot be explained by the theory anymore.
By now Einstein's theory of general relativity (The universe can be represented by a curved Minkowski-Spacetime-Manifold) is the accepted theory to modellize the phenomenon we call gravity.
Of course this doesn't explain why gravity occurs in our universe, but that's not the job of a physicist, it's the job of a theologist (like all those why does it happen/exist - questions).

Although sometimes something magical happens in science, because sometimes some scientist accidentially develops a modell for something that also explains the existence of another thing.

When it comes to mass (actually the Energy-Stress-Tensor) and why it curves Spacetime, this magic never happend.

Therefore let's study STEM-fields and become wizards.

here's something I don't get:

why is any visual model of the "warping" of spacetime show planets "siting" on top of a trampoline like surface, like shown in the video? why are the planets always on top? in what "direction" can we truly say it "warps"?

I only bring it up because any time I see a visual representation like that I know that its misleading but I can't really explain an alternative adequately...

it is "warped" and mass "warps" the "fabric" but in what way?

>in what way
how is that a question? If you want the actual answer open a book of general relativity.

I meant that everything "clings" to the earth in a radial sense, wheras every visual demonstration looks like marbles sitting on the surface of a trampoline. I only wish there was a better visualization is all, one that more closely matches our actual 'experience'

The sheet is a slice of spacetime. Spacetime engulfs the object and the same warping happens from any angle. Some guy drew it first so that the object "sits" on the slice and it became the norm. Slices can be drawn from any angle and reprezent the same things.

This is a problem with dimensions. The visual demonstrations are all essentially 2D, with us being outside observers looking in. In real life though, everything is 3D including us. We aren't out-of-plane observers. If we were 4 dimensional we could make a better visualization.

Like a marble inserted in Nutella. It warps and displaces the chocolate around it.
We know this happens with spacetime because we've measured it. IIRC signals sent from behind the Sun travel 50 kilometers more across this distortion. I actually think this example is in the Interstellar companion book written by Kip Thorne. It explains a lot of shit like this.

It's a shitty representation, but the warping occurs in all angles.

A better analogy is a ball inside a piece of foam, similar to that used in a tempurpedic mattress.

Something Also happening that never gets talked about is frame dragging.
Mass , twists and pulls space time.besides curving it.
Has weird effects,like making the weight of a bowling ball change, depending on it's travel direction,around the earth.

The idea behind frame dragging is that a spinning body—or, more specifically, any moving body—tends to have a gravitational effect that propagates through empty space (aka the vacuum) and drags things along with it. This is peculiar because if you put a gyroscope near the axis of a spinning body, it’ll tend to be pulled around in the direction of the spin. But if you place it outside the equator of the same body, then the moving mass drags the gyroscope around the other way.

Change theologist to philosopher

gravity is false, pressure is reality.

In frame dragging Time is also effected since space is being twisted.

Strong force
Frame dragging also has an effect that if one particle is next to another, they can both save energy if one is absorbing energy as the other one is emitting it. (This can also increase the mass of both particles, using Einstein's famous equation that energy is equal to a certain amount of mass). This would encourage particles to group together, which would explain what strong force (a force that holds protons and neutrons in an atom nucleus together) is.

it's caused by the physics engine they made for our plane of existence

Pardon?

Gravity works by gravitons spontaneously appearing in empty-ish space. These gravitons hit objects, but the universe is weird so instead of getting pushed backwards by the gravitons, they just get pushed towards them.

Or maybe it's the other way around.

yup, gravity is god's love

>What causes gravity?
Suppose I were to answer your question. "user, clax-spurts interacting with weedle-farts in 7-dimensions causes what we observe to be gravity.".
But then you just say "But user, what causes clax-spurts?".

Physics is descriptive. The universe simply IS, and scientists attempt to describe it as accurately as they can. We know objects with mass move towards one another. We can describe the paths they take when doing so, and other ways things the property of mass effects the patterns we see. But that's it.

Attaching meaning to facts is not the purview of science. Philosophy and religion has done so many times before, with varying degrees of success. I recommend you just find something that works for you, and doesn't hurt others.

just imagine how it must be to explain the thrid dimension to an two dimensional beeing. It's the same trying to explain the fourth dimension to an 3d entity.

This is great

youtube.com/watch?v=BWyTxCsIXE4

I guess the answer is physics causes gravity.

OP - we just don't know.

That's why we're smashing particles apart at CERN to figure out where properties like gravity reside.

>gravity comes from love
someone watched Interstellar last night

TARS

Your mom in Spanish slang.