Other urls found in this thread:

jobs.target.com/job/minneapolis/social-analytics-lead/1118/2648946
jobs.target.com/job/sunnyvale/principal-data-engineer/1118/873479
ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table4.pdf
studentsreview.com/unemployment_by_major.php3
blogs-images.forbes.com/susanadams/files/2014/07/disciplines2.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

True answer: Where your passion lies

This guy gets it. Unless your passion is philosophy because holy shit, what a terrible major.

african american studies

>lay epic passion meme

Retarded advice.

>Software Engineering
>God tier

What the fuck?

>Mathematics not at the highest tier

Confirmed for shitty list. I don't care what other degrees you consider at the highest tier because all of that is opinion and open for debate but the one thing that has to stay constant is that mathematics should always be at the top and preferably listed first.

Whoever made this list was probably taking the piss.

By what standard?

Is there any particular reason microbiology is below biology? Im just curious

>*Jobs are rated by employment, usefulness to market, salary, and Job environment. (Based on U.S. statistics)

>He fell for the mathematics meme

>meme

I'd hardly call it a meme when most of my classes have like 6 people in them.

The whole point of a meme is that it is weirdly popular, specially with little kids and generally uneducated people. Which is why CS is categorically a meme degree.

By that metric, math is the gold standard non-meme degree. A really unpopular degree that only a percentage of the people in one of Veeky Forums's smallest board truly like that somehow manages to top job satisfaction and salary lists all around.

Where is "Control Engineering"?

>CS is categorically a meme degree
Keep calling it that, math cuck. Computer science majors literally get six figure jobs right after graduating. Meanwhile, you're best hope for a job with that shit tier major of yours is working as high school math teacher. Enjoy your shit life.

What a meme chart.

I find it funny when CS people flaunt their programming jobs and shit on math majors for having to be high school teachers when I work as a programmer myself, making you be doubly wrong.

Wrong for thinking that CS jobs are somehow top tier shit that you absolutely NEED an education in CS to access them. And wrong for thinking that math graduates can only work in education.

Protip: Swallow a fucking reality pill if you think you can get a six figure job out of graduation. Heck, I bet you couldn't even get a job as good as mine (banking software) after 4 years of education when I got it pretty much out of high school. I already see you faggots sucking dick at some fucking app start up having to socialize with that girl who blogs about how fizzbuzz is too hard.

Nah, forget about the reality pill. Go get some fucking cyanide, faggot.

CS is absolute babby tier compared to math, and job you qualify for a math major can outperform you at. In reality, you will be handing calls at a support center with Pajeet while you patiently wait for Google to pls respond to you application mail

t. math+CS double major

>math + CS double major

Thinking of doing this. Any tips?

>Any tips?
Don't, focus on math or combine it with physics. Anything you learn in CS you can learn on your own and save money and time

Just because you got lucky and somehow got a job as a programmer, does not negate the shitty job marketability you get with a math degree. It's not a joke when people talk about math majors being forced to be math teachers in high schools. You have no real world skills and companies don't give a fuck about you being able to do some useless high level math.

And actually, they're are many computer science majors getting high paying jobs right out of college. Computer science actuality gives you marketable skills you can use. You are literally telling kids to go thousands of dollars in debt and to ruin they're futures to learn some worthless fucking math that won't help them. Go jump off a bridge you cuck.

>does not negate the shitty job marketability you get with a math degree.

I don't know what degree you are talking about because my curriculum has various semesters of probability, statistics, modelling, programming and many other applied topics.

And as my table shows, statistician and other jobs that require heavy statistics + optimization are pretty good. Programmer is also nice.

>companies don't give a fuck about you being able to do some useless high level math.

Take a look at these jobs;

jobs.target.com/job/minneapolis/social-analytics-lead/1118/2648946

jobs.target.com/job/sunnyvale/principal-data-engineer/1118/873479

Notice how the first asks for business or mathematics majors. Then notice how the second asks for CS and mathematics majors.

Do you see that? Do you fucking see that? We lie at the intersection of every discipline. We are the people capable of performing every role, up to legal limits (I'm never going to claim to be able to be an engineer).

And this is one company.

> thousands of dollars in debt

Here in the first world college is free. I really don't to discriminate you or your heritage in Kaxakahuruldiskistan but really, your government better move on already. I mean, every developed country already has free university!

Because whoever made this list is an idiot

Janitor

>Here in the first world college is free.

Might want to read up a little on economics, mongoloid. That college isn't free.

"Jobs are rated by employment, usefulness to market, salary, and job environment. (Based on U.S statistics)"
why can't you guys read?

>Every developed country already has free university
Kek Americans

>Might want to read up a little on economics, mongoloid. That college isn't free.

But it is essentially free, unless you consider your taxes part of your income.

Here in civilized society we all agree to pay taxes that fund services that the government provides for all of us. Here in civilized society, one of these services is public higher education. Public universities, I mean, that cost nothing for residents.

Don't worry, once your society advances a couple of decades you will naturally figure out the concept of funding public companies that provide basic services like health care and education to the entire population.

It comes with time.

Ok math cuck, you win.

We'll just ignore the massive amount of math majors online complaining about the fact that nobody wants to hire them.

We'll also just ignore the fact that computer science majors are experiencing a massive amount of job growth.

Yea bud, that math major sure is helpful. Fuck off and die. Also

>Here in the first world college is free.

No its not, guess you math majors don't even understand economics. Go figure.

>We'll just ignore the massive amount of math majors online complaining about the fact that nobody wants to hire them.

You mean here? I also see CS, bios, engys, physicists and chemists all the time making those threads.

Read up on statistics. The unemployment rate of math majors is really low and actually ranks at the lowest for most degrees. Forbes did some research on this.

>We'll also just ignore the fact that computer science majors are experiencing a massive amount of job growth.

Oh no... you actually fell for the meme.

That
(1) Software and technology usage is growing all across the economy
does not imply that
(2) Everyone who works in software and tech is experiencing this growth

I mean, if you are in India then fuck yeah! Things are going great. All these companies offering you H1B visas and shit. Must feel great!

But if you are not indian then... well... man. Wew. What can I fucking tell you.

>No its not, guess you math majors don't even understand economics. Go figure.

It is a concept called taxes that we use here in the civilized world. We also do not consider the money we pay in taxes as part of our income. Mainly because what we have to pay in taxes can be calculated beforehand, even before we have been paid our salaries, so we always know how much of our gross salaries will go towards funding the government and the services they provide for me.

As I said, your country will probably soon adopt the concept of public companies being funded by the free people who can also vote on what gets funded.

Wait, you have democracy right? You at least understand the concept of voting right? Please tell me so that I can talk to you in terms you understand.

>No its not, guess you math majors don't even understand economics
he probably thinks it's "free for me! :DD" or something similarly insipid and "not technically wrong! :DD"

how is a math/econ double major?

If this is true, what does it make me?

TFW Philosophy scores highest on Verbal Reasoning and Analytic Writing on the GRE and only 7 points lower than #1 for Quantitative Reading

>ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table4.pdf

>You mean here? I also see CS, bios, engys, physicists and chemists all the time making those threads.

Yes, but the overwhelming majority are math majors that fell for the mathematics meme. And its not just here, just look for them on college forums and you'll see tons of depressed unemployed math majors.

>Read up on statistics. The unemployment rate of math majors is really low and actually ranks at the lowest for most degrees. Forbes did some research on this.

Don't believe it, but will look at it later.

>Falling for the indians taking our jobs meme

I have yet to see any evidence that indian immigrants are causing computer science majors to lose out on jobs. Also, yes, as more software and technology is developed, the better it will be for us cs majors. This is a no brainer.

And i'm not gonna argue about taxes and economics with a europoor. Go get ass raped by a Syrian refugee.

studentsreview.com/unemployment_by_major.php3

Math at 6% unemployment rate. That ranks it at the bottom of the unemployment list. CS is 4% so you got that going on.

On the topic of immigrants, do you really think people are going to do research that shows outsiders cause problems.... IN 2016?

Nah man. But you can conclude that from data like:

blogs-images.forbes.com/susanadams/files/2014/07/disciplines2.jpg

Notice how CS is the only degree that has devalued in terms of pay while everyone else keeps growing.

You know why is that?

1- The degree is geting crowded by literal retards who pick a degree with a dice.

2- Outside labor makes it dumb to hire a CS major for 100k when you can just hire Pajeet Rakesh Malabrabaresh to do the same job at the same quality for only 50k.

>Go get ass raped by a Syrian refugee.

Shit nigga you got me.

>geophysics in god tier and good tier
Shit list, the retard couldn't even proof read his own work how can I trust anything else they have to say?

>Mechanical=Aerospace
Not even kidding, at most colleges/universities the only difference is two classes or a lab section. Only difference is you will only be able to get AE jobs with a B.S. in that.

>Computer Engineer=Software Engineer=IT

Funny how chemistry is classified as god-tier.
I mean, considering that everyone here seems to think it's a useless degree that will only get you unemployed.

>Math at 6% unemployment rate.
Sure it may be low, but what about the quality of those jobs? I'm willing to bet many of those people are either working in jobs that never required a math degree, or are working as shitty math teachers. I have personally met people with math degrees working in fucking starbucks. Could you imagine how humiliating that is?

>On the topic of immigrants, do you really think people are going to do research that shows outsiders cause problems.... IN 2016?

So you're saying you have no direct evidence? Got ya. Nice current year meme though. I can't explain why computer science is devaluing, but i'm fairy sure it's not because of poopy indians and not because of normies picking computer science. The vast majority of normal fags that choose computer science because ''lol fuck it'' drop out soon after.

I'm tired, please stop replying to me. I can't not respond when you math fags type out this shit.

Veeky Forums is wrong about everything.

The only reason philosophy could be a reasonable major is if you intend to continue on to law school. Even then, there is the path of engineering with minor in philosophy or even majoring in business

Depends on your definition of employed.

A BS in chemistry can very easily get you a lab tech job paying $35,000/yr. But the work is boring as hell and you might as well have majored in liberal arts.

If you want to make a better salary and have a more interesting job, you need at least a masters in chemistry.

Being employed doesn't mean you're employed at a job that pays well and/or doesn't suck the life out of you.

It makes you about to find gainful employment developing industrial processes for the biotechnology sector. Have fun making ~$90,000 per year and holding a position in a job market that's going to get incredibly saturated in the coming decade.

Posting the real one for anyone who actually believes the original chart

10/10. I did phd in math and I don't make shit compared to marketing execs with art degrees. Do what you love OP as long as it's not fucking biology.

>tfw EE
>love every second of it

>Study what you love
>Like X studies, english, psychology, you name it
>Good advice
Kek, God tier should be the best you can do in science

Pretty good chart desu.

Do you want to be a Chadbro, make money to live comfy as fuck, and not work hard at all?

Major in accounting or finance.

If you want to work a little hard for your degree do something related to orthodontist and sit back and watch yourself make stupid money. Like 100k starting stupid money.

If you want to work really hard for your degree and make a just a little bit more than the accounting toolbags pick any majors in the first three categories. There I just saved you two years of soul searching and flipping back and forth between majors.

>Biology is "Great Tier"
Biofags fucking wish. Pre-med wash outs have annihilated the field with bodies so if you get employed you make basically dick level money or teach at a HS.

>Accounting
>Not working hard at all
Most places higher 1 accountant to do literally everything money related for the business unless you're lucky and they rope in a second guy so you don't put a bullet in your skull.

>tfw physics
>no idea what to do when/if I graduate because everything I want to do is "well why aren't you a mechanical engineering"
>no idea how to even start getting job
>don't even like quantum bullshit

life is suffering

Hahaha this dumb faggot majored in math. Bet you work at a grocery store part-time, princess bitch-boy.

Why are all grills civil engineering

your passion doesn't always dictate where you'll be working. you can major in math, doesn't mean you'll be a mathematician. you can major in physics, doesn't mean you'll be a physicist. your ''passion'' will be satisfied until you decide that someone needs to pay you to do what you're passionate about.

>Aerospace Engineering higher than Mechanical
Why is no one talking about this, it's basically mechanical with slightly less options
This guy gets it. From what I've seen, even Aerospace companies take them as the same deal most of the time

If you want to have a guaranteed job anywhere while also pursuing a reasonably achievable degree, nursing.

Otherwise just go be an engineer or doctor or professor or some shit man. Maybe a mathematician, I hear they can get some dank jobs but I also see a lot of >lol unemployed lel kek kek memes

>computer engineer
>above meh

holy fucking shit some autist made this

Business.

You faggots get to do all the work, and I get to supervise.

BA in Japanese/Philosophy and obtaining B-Eng in Electrical engineering. Truly I am the wretched of the earth.

whoa calm down, turboautist

>internet stranger tells you to study your passion
>studying your passion = shit tier

Do you mean micro and molecular biology as well? If so, why?

Fuck, so biochem is actually shit?

Where does Design Engineer go?

why are all grill engineers ugly

>Unbelievable tier
>Engineers
WEWLAD
E
W
L
A
D

STEM majors are a meme on this board, except for art majors those are legitimately equivalent to shit.

>lay spend your entire life grinding away on something you hate just because normies tell you that the best way to be happy is to be rich plus you have to support the ungrateful hag of a wife that you married because the normalscum that run this society told you that you have to get married and breed in order to be considered "successful" meme

>specially with little kids and generally uneducated people.
false, you just want to feel superior to the "sheeple". Memes effect all humans.

I was joking, it's just an old /sci meme that biologists are the worst. The truth is from my perspective you major in anything and succeed if you find your niche. This is not equivalent to claiming most people will do this. I suspect the feeling behind this enduring god tier meme is there exists a degree that guarantees success, but that of course is a fallacy. If any truth is reflected in these charts it is, as I say, the likelihood that an individual can successfully complete one of the harder degrees and possess the wherewithal to otherwise succeed in life is high. I feel the lower tiered degrees reflect a laziness that would have predicted failure anyway, independent of college attendance. Of course that isn't the case for bio, it is sufficiently difficult enough for people who sit for the degree to have a decent chance of not being lazy floaters through life.

They are a meme everywhere but it is largely true.

Also I guess this is for job propsects/salary but I disagree skill usefulness wise. Architecture may be hard to get a job but it is a cool major involving STEM knowledge. Same with some types of geography, they basically do programming with GIS.

What wrong with CE? Not one, just asking, it's probably the most popular major in my country.

>Economy above industrial engineering and nuclear engineering.

what the fuck

kek

>computer science not at the top

Shit list

Depends on your talents.

Try and find the place where your talent and your enjoyment intersect at the highest levels, and then find out what the job prospects and pay are like for that field.

If it sucks, start over with the next best choice, and repeat this process until you find something you'll be good at, reasonably enjoy, with good job prospects and pay.

It may be a ways off your ideal, initially, but if you use that job to build wealth, you will eventually have time and resources to pursue your passions.

The point is to find something realistic that you won't hate or suck at.

This is also true though, if you have a high amount of talent in something, and you have great work ethic and business acumen, you can make a lot of money regardless of what it is. EMPHASIS ON THE TALENT ASPECT, THOUGH. Otherwise, stick with the above formula.

>infographic literally includes 0 engineering fields, all very math heavy

trash

>CS
>Being a code monkey in an industry that's basically a giant bubble waiting to be outsourced to India

>Do you see that? Do you fucking see that? We lie at the intersection of every discipline. We are the people capable of performing every role, up to legal limits (I'm never going to claim to be able to be an engineer).
Dude. You like what you do, and that' ok. But you're talking about and engineer who knows a bunch of math. Not a pure mathfag that is focus is some current-useless-super-high-level mathematics.

Psychology major here. God I hate 90% of what I learn. Ask me anything.

You should difference math from applied math.

Applied math of course is some of the usefull things in the world.

However, just math is not. Nobody, but a university, will pay a cent for you to proof a strange theorem on a weird topological set.

Why?
And what is the 10%

Why are we shifting on high school teachers?

Not shitting on the high school teachers, just shitting on the job. I respect the people who have to make a living teaching/babysitting a bunch of faggots who will never get anywhere in life.

it's the 1% of students that really give a shit that matters, but yes, being a HS teacher would be terrible

>Why

Honestly I find a good bit of it to be boring. Besides that, many of the professors inject their political biases when discussing studies. There are many people in certain areas of psychology that have I think completely warped views on things such as gender/sex/race (fyi I consider myself politically maybe a little more left leaning) but I don't feel fulfilled by most of what I learn in my classes.

The other 10% mostly focuses on things like behaviour genetics/twin studies, psychological disorders, evolutionary psychology, things more to do with the brain and clinical psychology (e.g techniques to help people exposed to severe trauma). There are definitely areas of psychology I feel are very valid and have many applications in real life, but god I hate to say it I feel like so much is overblown bullshit.

I seriously don't know what I should do with my life. For the past 6 months I have been considering studying for the MCAT and applying to medical schools to maybe become a general physician, psychiatrist or something like that but I don't have a strong science/math background so I will be limited to the schools I can apply to ( I am in Canada and some med schools here don't have science prerequisites). An alternative is to write the GRE exams and apply to grad schools to become a clinical psychologist or possibly some schools for neuroscience but I don't know how much I can do with a masters or PhD in neuroscience besides work in academia or research.

I really wish I could have pursued my true passion which is astronomy/physics but my educational background is all fucked up due to family circumstances and I have a bunch of unfulfilled high school prereqs that I would have to go back and do but I am already almost in my 3rd year of uni so fuck it.

Very interesting to read, thanks for writing it out. I feel like I know what your saying with the warped views. Also I'm sure you'll figure out your situation, good luck!

Cheers

most of the girl engineers at my school are pretty fucking hot

The meme stands strong my friend.

You did very well in college. What are your future plans.

Missed out Horse Grooming

math

>Implying that God is not Unbelievable

I see the death of western civilisation.

What's this meme? Most maths grads in my uni go on to be quants pretty much immediately.

Why is biochem above microbiology, I feel like they're around the same level

Everyone jokes about out sourcing to india.

We've done it, and we stopped doing it. You funnel dump-trucks of money to these outsourcing companies and they deliver non-working products that require a team of western engineers who charge a FUCK TON because they are "consulting" to fix it and you barely make deadline and end up spending more money. Also the product is worse than if you just paid bottom of the barrel americans.

Americans might be dumb or have a fucked up school system but holy fuck, something is mentally wrong with people in Asia.

every computer science student i've ever met is an insufferable autist, and i'm inclined to believe you wouldn't fail to earn that distinction either

>tfw am Forensic Science major
>not sure what to specialize in yet
Am I fucked too?

t. STEM neckbeard