People always say every fauna and flora is important, muh ecosystem blah blah

People always say every fauna and flora is important, muh ecosystem blah blah

Who would it hurt if all wasps died overnight?

They are useless animals, giant scumbags, don't make honey, and are too poisonous to eat

Give me a single reason they deserve to live

Other urls found in this thread:

yellowstonepark.com/wolf-reintroduction-changes-ecosystem/
youtube.com/watch?v=nZZyJQNmOV8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They eat spiders?

you must be fukken retarded

I kind of feel this way about mosquitos. I am sure there will be some change in the eco system if we eraticatted them. Can that change possibly be as big of a nuisance as mosquitos?

Some dragonflies, reptiles, and fish eat mainly mosquitoes. I say mainly in the fashion that mosquitoes are ALL they eat, so getting rid of mosquitoes would kill off a lot of those species. In a chain reaction, the animals that ate the animals that ate mosquitoes would start to die off too, and so forth.

Fuck you, I use wasps for pollinating my vegetables and hunting caterpillars. They are godly at hunting caterpillars.

As someone who hates mosquitoes, that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Don't go killing off species because you see no obvious benefit to yourself.

yellowstonepark.com/wolf-reintroduction-changes-ecosystem/

Wasps don't even fuck with you unless you try to hold them or some shit

This, can confirm that wasps only attack when they're addressed on. A wasp doesn't just fly around looking to start shit.

Aggressed*

Is there anything we know is expendable? I'm thinking any invasive species can be removed from where they invaded, but that's not the same as extinction. Flies?

Humans are pretty much the only species that fits the bill because we transcend biological niches. If humans were to be removed, biodiversity across the globe would improve dramatically.

I actually accidentally put my hand on a wasp nest and the wasps did nothing to me. I have tons of wasps in my garden, and I just go about and do my gardening with the wasps literally flying into me and I've not been stung once. They're quite docile.

If you're a human yeah but if you're a spider they're probably gonna paralyze you and put their eggs inside you

what if all humans died? would it hurt the planet or the universe?

Eh, but most people are freaked out by wasps because they're afraid of being stung. They aren't stupid, and won't attack just because. Of course, spider wasps can take spiders, and they know it. These are paper wasps that I'm talking about, though, which are probably the most common in the U.S.

WTF I love wasps now

More room in the universe for everyone else, if and when they show up.

In the grand scheme of things we're actually pretty early to the game, we have the chance to be the local precursor race if we play our cards right, or at least seed potential worlds with the makings of life of we can't reach them properly.

Pandas. Bamboo is an pretty invasive and destructive plant, but humans can use the extra bamboo they would have eaten

>camouflage to avoid being swallowed whole by birds
>get eaten alive by wasp
Caterpillar life is truly suffering

Also, why is the caterpillar not fucking moving

/thread

There are parasitic wasps that keep pests under control. Flies would be way worse without the wasps there to kill them for example.

most yellowjackets and wasps are pretty chill and only get close to something out of curiosity. fuck with their nest, though, and it's game over

it's hornets, especially pic related, that are pure concentrated hatred and only want to fuck everything up

stinging insects in general help to control most other insect populations, which by extension influences the subsequent ecosystem. they're surprisingly important.

t. a guy who's been working for pest control for the past 4 years

If they did not fill an ecological niche, they could not exist.
Killing them would only destabilize the environment terribly, and also lead to something else replacing them.
With CRISPR and all, I think a better solution would be to genetically modify mosquitoes to find the smell of humans repellent so they go bite wildlife instead.

it was probably paralyzed by a sting before being eaten

>Caterpillar life is truly suffering

You have no clue. I have lots of tomato plants in my garden. I've removed about 4 dozen large tomato hornworm caterpillars. However. I do not remove them all. I left about a dozen there. Why? Because they had parasitic wasp cocoons all over them. They stay immobile for many days as the wasps eat the insides and pupate in the cocoons on the outside. It is a glorious sight to see...

Source (with glorious sound):
youtube.com/watch?v=nZZyJQNmOV8

even if they don't get eaten, they eat themselves.
When caterpillars pupate they build a shell, then digest their own flesh that they've built up with all the food they've eaten, and their organs too including what passes for a brain, leaving only a sort of seed which uses the digested flesh as a yolk to develop in to the imago

Incorrect. The transform it, they don't digest it. All the organs are still in the same places. Those do not get destroyed as previously thought.

Paper wasps can actually be pretty terittorial and might sting you just for stepping in the wrong neighborhood

So long as you stay 3 feet from their nest and are not waving your arms, you should be fine.

In fact, movement is the largest factor. You can actually reach up very slowly and detach their entire nest and dispose of it. I do that all the time with ones that are in places they shouldn't be.

Oh shit wasps versus mantids.

Who win?

Why are hornets such cunts user?

I know Japanese giant hornets eat those but I'm not sure about wasps

That's a fly, not a wasp or a bee.

Please get a trip crisprfag

Thanks for ruining jelly beans for me,cunt

>those clips of the fly happily frolicking before being eaten alive
Seems pretty sadistic desu

Anyway, I'm glad the square - cube law exists

I mean
>heard you talkin shit like I wouldn't find out

don't many wasps raid bee hives to steal honey and eat any of the bees that try to stop them? or is that just something I'm making up

Why is nature so cruel?
Can't we all just get along without hurting eachother.
Oh except mosquitos. mosquitos must be eradicated. And no part of the food chain actually relies on eating mosquitos so killing them would basically be a pure net gain for everything.

I was eating outside the other day and 3 wasps started flying in front of my face, so I backed off and they landed on my food. Can confirm wasps will start shit.

Wasps are aggressive near food

you should buy one of those electric tennis rackets

>And no part of the food chain actually relies on eating mosquitos so killing them would basically be a pure net gain for everything.

Except a shit load of aquatic species like fish. Entire ecosystems are dependent on them.

absolute bullshit
some species eat them as an extra but none are absolutely reliant on them
there would be no major shock or change to the life-chain if mosquitoes disappeared.
Species go extinct all the time, plenty don't leave a mess in their wake. Mosquitoes fall into that category. Unimportant except to themselves and the creatures they harass.

In norway they're a very important part of the ecosystem in northern and high altitude regions. It fucking sucks because the blood sucking faggots bite me when I'm fishing and I wish they would all just fucking disappear.

Well I would rather let a few species of fish die or an isolated eco-system or two go away then let them keep harassing innocents who just want to enjoy the wild and fish in peace.
its worth it

In Alaska and Canada entire ecosystems are based around mosquito larva and adult emergences. These ecosystems are connected to all the other ecosystems on the planet. When you mess with one, you mess with them all.

Just because you can't understand that doesn't make it any less true.

What do you think eats the fish? You should probably google, "cascade effect".

I simply don't believe they are that important or the illogical idea that "all species are connected and if you kill one they all die!!! hurr hurr" etc...
Hundreds of species of bugs and others go extinct all the fucking time and nothing big happens.
Pretty sure there aren't too many animals reliant on eating tiny ass mosquito's or their babies.
The wolves and moose and rabbits will all keep living.
Please tell me the important animals we will surely lose in Alaska/Can without those annoying blood suckers.

I don't think many fish literally rely on mosquitos to survive.
So we can go without the ones who do.

Humanity in a nutshell.

if humans went around sucking the blood of everything id want them dead too
mosquitos are evil and slaying evil is always just.

hey Veeky Forums, im gonna give you some buzzwords and you can go fucking nuts on google

'trophic collapse'

'trophic succession'

'R/K selection'

'functional extinction'

Kindergarten is over you fucking pleb cunts

>buzzwords
ha ha ha
Did you take a shower with a clown this morning?

With the exception of trees and phytoplankton any ANIMAL on this rock could go extinct and nothing happens to threaten life.

>brainlet musings: example post