Is there a word for this?

After starving for several hours, my roommate and I heated up some leftovers for lunch this afternoon and, because they weren't fresh, they tasted like shit.

The roommate wouldn't stop complaining and after a while I said, dryly, "We should be grateful that we have food at all." It was a dumb joke.

But that's the thing. I meant it as a joke, but I do actually believe the content of the message. Is there a word or phrase for this kind of dissonance?

Being a faggot.

If he took it as a joke as well then it was a prime example of post-post-irony

No, you were simply telling a joke, one which you happened to believe. If you said it only with the intent of making your roommate laugh. Were you subconsciously annoyed about his complaining?

You should have followed it with
>Children in Africa are starving
or some bullshit like that.

It's called quamcha.

Its still sarcasm, just with another layer of irony go flip it from insincere back to sincere, but the second layer of irony makes it sound insincere to mask the sincerity.

welcome to Veeky Forums. pull up a chair.

Yeah, I just wanted to make him laugh. I guess I'm just dumb and didn't realize explicitly that a lot of humor plays on that kind of dissonance.

>believing your own jokes

This is how Ann Coulter got created.

>a lot of humor plays on that kind of dissonance.
Does it?

I told you I was dumb.

YOU DID THE VERY THING WHICH -- ACCORDING TO LACAN -- SEPARATES HUMANS FROM ANIMALS.

*SNIFF* LACAN SAID THAT WHAT DISTINGUISHES HUMANS FROM ANIMALS IS THE FACT THAT, SURE, ANIMALS CAN PRETEND TO BE SOMETHING THEY'RE NOT (THEY DO THIS WHILE HUNTING FOR EXAMPLE, OR CAMOUFLAGING THEMSELVES) BUT ONLY HUMAN BEINGS CAN TELL THE TRUTH AND BE EXPECT IT TO BE TAKEN FOR A LIE.

The classic example of the properly human lure is the joke quoted by Freud (and often cited by Lacan) about the two Polish Jews: "Why do you tell me you are going to Cracow so I'll believe you are going to Lvov, when you are really going to Cracow?"

*sniff*

You thought about it for a bit, asked a question, and arrived at a conclusion. I don't think that makes you dumb.

It's not a guarantee of intelligence, either.

>AND BE EXPECT IT
opinion discarded

>I told you I was dumb.

Wait, now I have a question about this phrase.

I TOLD (past tense) you I WAS dumb.

But what I meant to communicate is that I AM (presently) dumb. So the above is incorrect, no?

No, because by the time I get this, past tense will apply.

You may be smart by the time you get this one. How do I know?

Why do all psychoanalysts do coke?

Drugs are good.

because it's patrician

Underrated

Is coke worth getting into? Only did a bump once, not enough to really feel the effects I'm told.

Different strokes, man.

>After starving for several hours

After starving what?

Let's just ignore OP's stupid question, and talk about the sort of half-irony that is poisoning the world. As Settembrini put it in The Magic Mountain: "Irony, forsooth! Guard yourself, Engineer, from the sort of irony that thrives up here; guard yourself altogether from taking on their mental attitude! Where irony is not a direct and classic device of oratory, not for a moment equivocal to a healthy mind, it makes for depravity, it becomes a drawback to civilization, an unclean traffic with the forces of reaction, vice and materialism."