Fantasy novels that are well written?

I can't help but get annoyed at how shitty the writing is in a lot fantasy novels

is there any fantasy novel/series out there that doesn't dedicate 50 pages to the description of belt buckles or have cringy cliche'd dialogue?

>>pic related is the kind of garbage I'm talking about

Other urls found in this thread:

audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Way-of-Kings-Audiobook/B003ZWFO7E/ref=a_search_c4_1_2_srTtl?qid=1469907686&sr=1-2
audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Cycle-of-Arawn-Audiobook/B00W8DAB9M/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1470018136&sr=1-1
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the bible is great desu

>fantasy

How about you grow up kid.

>implying it's well written.

It is. If you disagree you're objectively Jewish and/or retarded

>he doesn't like the bible

*tips*

back to plebbit

May I recommend Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker?

Here is a sample of one of the finest fantasy writers of the 21st century!

Great use of italics indeed.

I have no idea how the industry of dyes is booming amidst the territory of rebels, though.

>no italics
also if this writing is the best fantasy has to offer lol

I saw your other post, pleb.

Is that an especially low point or is it all like this

you're supposed to get so caught up in the worldbuilding and magic systems that you ignore the prose

>bright reddish pink, and the garish color
>bright reddish pink
>garish

>Yarda stepped forward, speaking softly
>softly

lel

>his thick beard tied in three places

No fucking way.

It's a genre that actually has the least fantasy involved, which obviously affects the prose too.

Tolkien, Brian Merriman, Johnathan Swift, Lord Dunsany, Shakespeare and that's without even getting into mythology. There's loads of good fantsy

All of fiction is fantasy, some are just more realistic than others.

Yes I love being a pedant too

I recommend the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Some fantasy novels I thought were well-written:

Latro in the Mist + Soldier of Sidon
Book of the New Sun + Urth of the New Sun
The Hammer (KJ Parker's)
Hyperion
Gormenghast trilogy
Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune (stop after these)
Le Morte D'Arthur
Conan the Barbarian (pulpy but quite entertaining and the prose is competent)
Perdido Street Station

that's all off the top of my head

Glad ya do!

This book fucking triggers me when I spent 600 pages trying to enjoy it (although I did around 20% of the time) but I know I'll never finish it because the last 150+ pages are just so dogshit

Fuck this book, fuck the author, fuck everyone who hops on his dick because "oh he can paint such a beautiful picture in your mind" FUCK

The prose and characterization is WAAAY better on the last 2 Dune books than in the others. They're weaker in all other respects, but for once it's not a completely dry read and the characters are legitimately interesting

It is written for retards, I agree.

Malazan is poor, sorry. There are some good ideas, scenes, and the guy's poetry to start the chapters is surprisingly strong, but the overall design, trajectory, and tone of the book is weak as fuck.

Brandon Sanderson is one of those authors where people recommend him to me, I start reading a book, and then am reminded that I have some kind of internal mechanism that prevents me from reading shit after more than 20 or so pages.

looking for advice :O

i have 1 Audible Credit and trying to decide between these two options
The Way of Kings: Book One of The Stormlight Archive
audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Way-of-Kings-Audiobook/B003ZWFO7E/ref=a_search_c4_1_2_srTtl?qid=1469907686&sr=1-2

The Cycle of Arawn: The Complete Trilogy
audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Cycle-of-Arawn-Audiobook/B00W8DAB9M/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1470018136&sr=1-1

>doesn't dedicate 50 pages to the description of belt buckles
Black Company series. Though the dialogue may get a bit cliche'd sometimes.
I also remember liking The First Law series.

make your own thread then, faggot

Pick up The 5th Head of Cerebus by Gene Wolfe.

If you don't want shit prose then don't read genreshit. It's that simple.

If you've read enough(instead of just jerking off on message boards) you'd realize that bad prose isn't a deal break. Roberto Bolaño had terrible prose, he's still beloved.

Don't his books pander to feminists?

The premise of this thread is that opie's tired of bad writing so queef off to plebbit esse.

People who enjoy Brandon Sanderson should literally be shot on fucking sight.

Anything other than Brandon Sandershit

Gene Wolfe's great. I guess Le Guin's prose is nice too, but it's been a long time since I've touched anything by her.

Instead of novels, maybe try some epic poems? Not really fantasy in modern sense, but the poetry is great, and The Odyssey or Orlando Furioso are extremely entertaining.

Book of the New Sun and The Wizard Knight by Gene Wolfe
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber
Dying Earth by Jack Vance
Children of Hurin by Tolkien
Gormenghast by Peake
All of these are great, and the retards who recommended you Sanderson and Malazan will hate them.

If you are interested in fantasy you should read these.

Chronicles of Amber - Zelazney
Gormenghast - Peake
Lord of the Rings
Lyonesse Trilogy - Vance
The Collected Works of Lewis Carrol
The Complete Fairy Tales - MacDonald
The King of Elfland's Daughter - Dunsany
The Once and Future King - White
The Wood Beyond the World - Morris
The Worm Ouroboros - Eddison
A Wizard of Earthsea - Le Guin
The Book of the New Sun - Wolfe

i agree with: zelazny, peake, tolkien, dunsany, eddison, and le guin
(i haven't read the others)

It's a DRAFT you silly billies. Brandon released every draft chapter of Warbreaker online as he wrote them. I just ctrl+f'd my ebook and that page is not formatted like that. You're looking at a screenshot of an unpublished early draft of Warbreaker, not a page from the actual published novel.

Good recs from what I've read.
Sanderson isn't any better when he is published.

BOTNS is sci-fi

>pic related is the kind of garbage I'm talking about
There is nothing wrong with that book (except the endless complaints about poverty and it being told out of order) I have seen a lot worse.
how, by having his character fuck every girl in his life?

Science fantasy accoring to wolfe

I actually got an audio book. I kind of liked it, mostly because I new the twist was coming so I could get past the slow burn. also despite the plot being predictable I enjoyed the suffering of characters, I was less happy that shit worked out for them but it was nice to see self righteous know it all's be made to crawl. also I think this is the only book were I have seen a side character fuck a corpse, not a magic sentient corps but just an animated zombie.

> suffering of characters
> corpsefucking
This book just got on my reading list.

>OP says he hates 50 page descriptions
>People ITT are recommending Gormenghast, Tolkien and Meiville

JUST

>The King of Elfland's Daughter
for real?

I always gloss over the bullshit reddit reasons most posters say they don't like something and recommend anyway. I know nobody will read what I recommend so it doesn't matter.

One of the best fairytales ever written?
Yes.

Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan.

Is this series considered bad?
I really enjoyed it, but I am just getting into fiction, what is bad about it?

>Is this series considered bad?
Bad doesn't even begin to describe it.
He's quite clear on having a problem with pointless descriptions of trite.
Peake and Wolfe don't have any of that.

MC constantly complains about everything and constantly pulls power ups out of his ass. you are better of reading the cycle of arawn

Doors of Stone is never coming out

You're not pretentious enough.

Motherf*****

I'm not sure if it's really 'fantasy', but The Buried Giant by Ishiguro is really good.

>open book
>character's name is Kvothe
>close book

>tfw brandon sanderson is enjoyable af to read because his writing is extremely clear and lets me easily invest myself in the book.
>tfw pseuds think pabulums are sins

It doesn't come into it's own until the second book in the series. I agree the first one is all over the place.

sorry guys but whats so bad about this? What am i missing?

The way I see it it's extremely bland and almost mechanic. Good prose can be "easy" to read while having far more artistic value. One example that comes to mind is lolita

Sanderson reads like a first draft, stylistically nothing connects the sentences, each feels like an unnatural jump.

I don't understand Veeky Forums's obsession with shitting on this book. It's aimed at 13 year olds. It's like Harry Potter tier. I don't know why everyone's out to "expose" it or something.

It's in my experience the most common favorite novel with literature students and fantasy nerds.
Usually, it's people in their twenties. Always quite liberal/progressive too.

I liked reading books by john marco. His shit was like poetry.

Now judge me.

So? I'm not sure how that explains anything other than Veeky Forums's insecurity.

What's the deal if they're literature students and fantasy nerds? Why does their political inclination matter? Does that make their opinions more tenable?

This is probably a troll thread, but in all honesty, Terry Pratchett is great.

not a troll thread at all my friend

fåm, how good are the fantasy recommendations on the :
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading

list

the joe abercrombie first law books are well written.

One of the things I like about fantasy is that it often forces the author to grapple with basic visual description in a way in which ordinary fiction doesn't, because there is no agreed upon cultural milieu to draw tacit visual knowledge from. If the world is sufficiently distinct from any actuality.

I like to think Robin Hobb's writing is ahead of most pulpy fantasy. She does get a bit long winded with some things, but usually with an intention. I would avoid the shitty Dragon Keeper books or whatever though, and the first book in the Soldier Son trilogy has some parts that slog.
Alternatively, if you just want a classic high fantasy focused exclusively on battles and magic and shit like that read some Dragon Lance books. They're basically fantasy westerns.

What insecurity? People read trash and that annoys me.
How does their political opinions matter? Their cheap leftism makes them even more obnoxious.
No he's not.

>tfw you come to this thread, the first Veeky Forums thread you've ever been in.
>Been trading again for the first time since high school for a year.
>Joe Abercrombie is bad.
>Brandon Sanderson is bad.
>Patrick Rothfuzz is bad.
Only people I've read since getting back to it that haven't been shit on are Brent Weeks and Peter V Brett. Does this board just not like fun?

Sanderson may have some questionable dialogue, but his action scenes are pretty enjoyable.

I honestly don't know what's wrong with Rothfuzz, but he was the first book I read that got me back into reading. Have been meaning to reread.

Joe Abercrombie is also pretty great. I didn't see any problem with his works either. It seemed to parody most fantasy writings and was fun to follow.

Wtf Veeky Forums?

Rothfuss writes what is essentially Twilight for nerds, smothered under unnecessarily purple prose, masturbatory diatribes on the art of music, and vague implications of doing some bullshit post-modern twist on the way that myths form.

That review is pretty based. Quite spot on imo.

>quite spot on
Excellent, I think I just assassinated the English language.

I don't think that anything you said is necessarily bad, you just used words that made it sound like it was bad. The character is supposed to love music and have been some legendary figure. Why do you think of the writing as what the writer writes like and not what the character would be like? Seems backwards to me.

Your kind of fun is not fun because it's retarded.
How do you simply ignore the awful writing, the moronic characters, the autistic need for pointless world building, the obvious jerking off of the author in relation to his self insertion, the laughable attempts at depth and insight and all the other shit which makes it simply, not fun?

Because I don't know anything about the author, so I wouldn't recognize a self insert of it if it sprang from the page and cock slapped me. I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in relation to the other stuff.

Since I hadn't read the books for almost a year I picked up the second one and opened it to a random page. It just so happened to be immediately after the Maer was told that he was poisoned.

I'm not up to the part where Kvothe is being sent out bandit hunting. I honestly didn't really mean to read that far, but I was looking for the stuff you complained about and didn't see anything unnecessary.

I don't care what anyone says, I haven't binge read a book that long since harry potter in high school.

He's a cuck though

>So they hated me, and it shone in their eyes when Denna wasn’t looking. I would offer to buy another round of drinks, but he would insist, and I would graciously accept, and thank him, and smile.
>I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted the wetness between her legs, felt the soft warmth of her bosom, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.

Kvothe the typa nigga to call cuckholding the thinking man's fetishist

Is that common for authors to do that? Why would you post your working drafts online for the internet to see?

He's prolific enough to get away with it.

I tried listening to the Way of Kings audiobook. It's very high budget, features a dozen main voice actor and many more extras, has music backing and sound effects, but just feels overproduced and distracting

>narrator: "...he sighed"
>audible sigh coming from voice actor

kek

Figures.
Sanderson hasn't written a single beautiful line in his corpus. His dialogue is abysmal, like "fiddledeedee, I broke my femur," sorta shit.
But, wow, his action sequences carry his books. He's all about the dynamic flips and shit. So it doesn't surprise me that they'd put a heap of sizzle on the audiobooks to try and distract from the steak's size.

He has a large female fan base . He's also a feminist cuck on Twatter.

>Way of Kings audiobook
That wasn't the audiobook, that was the graphic audio version. Their whole selling point is a movie like production, or HIGH budget radio drama for your ears.

The regular version has 2 readers, one for male parts, one for female. If you never listened to radio dramas, or listened to an entire movie without watching, graphic audio books might be a little distracting. Especially if you have adhd and the music or sound of explosions is distracting you from the narrator.

One question, did you use computer speakers, or smartphone headphones? If the headphones, did you use both left and right buds.... or are you one of those autists who listen to stereo audio with only one side headphone bud, then complain about "quality" and you "couldn't understand" what the person was saying?

>masturbatory diatribes on the art of music
I never understood this aspect of Rothfuss, is it a American-Jewish college liberal thing?

china mieville?
R scott bakker?

>sanderson's rebbit fanbase getting triggered this hard

Maybe you should just stop hanging out with stupid people or people who are as pretentious and insecure as you are. And you're definitely insecure as fuck if you're getting this angry about frivolous escapist literature. I'd bet the vast majority of the cheap lefties you condescend fully accept it as easy and simple literature to have some fun with now and then while you struggle with such a simple concept as winding down and relaxing.

>reddit
Never went there, was born and raised on /b/, migrated to /co/, /g/, then Veeky Forums. Nice ad hominem though.
>you're correcting an user
>must be the redshit scum doing damage control

You do realize that this is just as bad /b/ro?