White Noise

I've been reading this book for almost 6 months. I was excited to read it at first, but it got bland pretty quickly. Should I keep going if I'm about halfway through? I'm about to finish the Airborne Toxic Event section

I was thinking of reading Crime and Punishment next, though I never got around to finishing The Idiot. I only read occasionally.

It didn't age well. You've probably grown up with popular culture that made the same points, etc.

Just drop this garbage and read Infinite Jest. It's basically Delillo, but with blackjack and hookers.

Yeah, that book is disappointing. From what I've read about it, Mao II seems more up to speed.

But, really nigga, 6 months and you aren't even done? Maybe it's time for a new hobby.

>But, really nigga, 6 months and you aren't even done?

I've read the Illiad over an entire year. Not everybody has the autism that makes you only read exactly one single book until the end before starting a new one.

this post screams reddit

I read Infinite Jest four summers ago and loved it. Someone on here recommended this book to me a while ago, so I bought it while in Cambridge a few months ago.

I don't read very often, so I wouldn't call it a hobby.

It's not worth six months, and there's no shame in reading occasionally - only episodically. Maybe get a taste of the Russians with something like "Sevastopol Sketches". The progress made in short story writing in the 20th century far exceeds that of the novel.

And you could always appall everyone by reading poetry in print.

Hold out for Buck-Wilder and the Nuns. The only memorable scenes in the book.

How is that autism, though? I get reading multiple books at a time and prioritizing, but reading a book like White Noise over six months (and not even finishing it) almost seems pointless. The writing and story are so simple that *not* burning through it is akin to taking six months to eat a potato chip.

Your mom screams when I pound her with my dick.

reddit confirmed

kek Got'em. Good job user.

Yeah, for the love of me I don't get why people associate this book with something like IJ other than superficial resemblances (lamentation of modernity or w/e).

White noise is like 300 pages... 6 months? What the fuck just kys senpai

see
For a literature board, not many people here have sufficient reading comp.

I thought White Noise was pretty good when I first read it. I got way into Don DeLillo a few years later, and have actually read all his books now. Like it was said above, it's kind of hard to judge a book when you stretch its reading out so far. I did that with Jonathan Franzen's Purity and though many people said it was a piece of shit I still thought it was OK. Anyway, after the scene you reference it does get better..

There are board "tourists" who come by because they have a casual interest in literature. In this case it's super casual, lmao.

But ye not everyone reads everyday, unfortunetly

>6 months to read half of White Noise
>12 months to read The Illiad

Guess what, fag? You haven't read them at all. That's like needing a week to watch a film or listen to an album. The whole experience is lost. You need focus to need a novel. If you can read a 300 page novel in less than 15 days you should find another hobby.

*can't

I liked White Noise. It's nothing too special, but I found it a cute little read. Good for when you've just finished something really long and dense

Read Crime and Punishment. Its better/more exciting than the Idiot.

This whole website is fucking white noise.

i had the same reaction, i like the "ideas" behind it, but i think the actual writing is pretty fucking weak. its honestly just a dry read

It's not autism at all. He just assumes everyone else has ADHD like him. White Noise is one of those books that you shouldn't take much longer than 2-3 days of reading to finish.

i think it's probably because he cites and discusses it in the essay on tv and irony in A Supposedly Fun Thing, and most of the essays in that are strongly interrelated with the themes and content of IJ. i'm sure Delillo was frequently on his mind, at the very least

You're retarded.

Just read. Whatever, whenever. You can't judge all of literature on somebody else's opinion. Fuck it, read what you want, drop what you can't.

This guy is right. No book should take you more than maybe month, two at the outside for books like Ulysses, The Recognitions, etc. where they are long, complex, and you have to really study them as you go. Any longer than that and you start to miss the point.

Are his other books as bad as this one?

Fuck you, all his books are good. If you want something a bit different though, read Libra.

Best advice I ever got when it comes to reading is if it's grabbing you, don't force your way through it. I quite liked White Noise, thought it had some interesting points on what death means, how people are affected by mortality and what they'll do because of it, but don't force yourself through it. Crime and Punishment might be more up your alley.

>Any longer than that and you start to miss the point.

What is the "point" I will "miss" if I don't read everything in one sitting? This is just an empty statement, if you think about it.

Bland? Really? It was one of the funniest things I ever read.

How is a month one sitting? You'll miss unifying themes, recurring tricks with language, and finer plot points (if it is a novel with a coherent plot).

IMO White Noise is like his 4th or 5th best.

It's really depressing and ironic, unlike lots of his other novels. It's popular because it's easy to teach.

What are your favorites, since you've read them all

I basically agree. Though certain books just won't "click" with certain people and take a lot longer than they should because of that.

>the Nuns
Easily my favorite part of the book.

what's his top three in your opinion? thoughts on zero k? I started reading it (around 100 pages in) and I like the less ironic Delillo a bit more. I thought white noise was enjoyable but yeah, the irony was a bit much to swallow.

End Zone is my favorite. It's about college football. There are scenes when it's just like calling plays in a huddle. You read that and it does something to you, I don't know, like activates something in you.. Americana is also one of my favorites. The idea of going across the country on a road trip, shooting footage with a camera seems like such a Beat/Postmodern ideal.

libra, underworld, mao II

Libra is quite hilarious in terms of just literally being about such a dreadful character in American history.

Zero K is fine. I think it's a good guide to reading his bigger, more American work, but it doesn't have barely any direct real-life benefit to being read. It's even colder than his other work, and the characters are more distant and static. But you can at least hear what he's trying to say.

I can't wait for Wikileaks to finally reveal that Mr. DeLillo was 100% right.

Wikileaks only finds out things we already knew about current events, not real mysteries about things long past. The people who killed JFK probably already burned the evidence, got promoted, and died.