Why did he use hyphens instead of quotation marks?

Why did he use hyphens instead of quotation marks?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Quotation_dash
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1. french
2. looks less cluttered, apparently

In orginal Ulysses manuscript he used '~' and '#' in place of the letters 's' and 'h'. Editors wanted to use quotations as well but thats where he drew the line.

is this real?

of course

~o it would #ave looked like t#i~. W#at t#e fuck wa~ #e t#inking?

About the pungency of Nora's butthole.

>yfw you realize that his iritis was by all likelihood a direct result of recreationally being farted directly into the eyes repeatedly throughout his early twenties.

~#e ~ells ~ea ~#ells by t#e ~ea ~#ore w#ile ~#itting in #er ~#oe and ~aying "#u~#"

>hyphens

Not real.

You mean a dash. And the answer is because he was pretentious and Ulysses is in fact a very third-rate novel.

But french use frogquote

Because he was gay and a drama queen

underrated post

>I couldnt even begin to comprehend the reading guide
>novel is shit

> the reading guide

lol you mean the two sparknotes that Joyce leaked to his friends that forms at least 90% of the critical consensus on Ulysses?

Reminder that if you're referring to the titles of the episodes, it's literally because Joyce told you that's what they actually mean.

Joyce was a shitty Flaubert.

Are you retarded?

Yes but I'm still write.

>trying this hard to shitpost

>Joyce was a shitty Flaubert.
Not really

the resemblance is uncanny.

>Reminder
>>>/tumblr/

>Joyce was a shitty Flaubert.

Christ, I would love to put you in a headlock and punch your pipsqueak skull repeatedly until your face could wince no longer.

Truly a Prince of Plebs.

Yeah, I actually read the whole thing because I had to. I was entering a prestigious PhD program and focusing on Joyce because I loved Dubliners, Portrait, and Ulysses. To my shame, though, I'd never read the Wake. I'd never even tried, as hard as that was to admit. It was this huge blind spot and area of vulnerability for me. Whenever it'd come up with my colleagues I'd just smile and nod, smile and nod, hoping they wouldn't ask me anything specific about it. "The musicality of it," somebody would say, and I'd say, "Oh God, yes, it's like Beethoven." Finally, though, I had to dive into it, and let me tell you it was tough going. Joseph Campbell's guide helped a lot. Reading it out loud helped. I listened to other people read it, read online commentaries. Eventually it started to make some sort of sense. It was like I was learning to read for the first time again, and in a way this was enjoyable. I got better at reading the book. Soon I was reading entire paragraphs without trouble, getting the puns, laughing at the jokes. I could sort of follow the story, it was like a blurry picture resolving into clarity, or like I was drunk and I was sobering up, I could actually understand it. As I became more and more adept at reading the Wake, I began putting myself to the test, initiating conversations with my colleagues about it, but specific passages this time, specific parts of the book. You can probably guess what happened. After a number of these conversations it became blindingly obvious that I understood the book a lot better than they did, they who I thought were the experts. It eventually became sort of embarrassing for them and I stopped trying to talk about it. And at the end of the day I would pack my things, catch the bus home, and settle into my apartment to read the Wake. It had surpassed all of Joyce's other works in my estimation. Ulysses, the book months earlier I would've named as my favorite of all time, the best book ever written, was now #2 to the Wake..

A shitty Flaubert would be better.

>..
Surely this is banworthy.

Seconded

Ellipsis posters are scum

REDDIT LEAVE

to capitalize on the ambiguity as to who is speaking which the neat nestling of quotation marks banishes. there's a number of places in ulysses where multiple readings are opened up by the consideration that what appears, by the commas, to be the second clause of a character's quotation, may actually be a contribution of the narrator.

I guess because they are much better. That's how we do it in Hungarian.

Baszed

>missing the point this hard

Good joke that these idiots missed. Upvote +1

He didn't. Those are em dashes.

kek'd

I feel like the only reason people convince themselves they like Joyce's shit is because they're forced to read it in college for their useless English degrees

go back to r/books

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I agree it looks prettier using hyphens, but I'm not able to imagine the scenes in my head very well. It feels like the characters and narrator somehow merge and I can't seperate them in my head anymore.

YA BOY STUDIED GERMAN LIT BUT TOOK A CLASS ON JOYCE, SHOWED UP TO THE FINAL BLACKOUT DRUNK AND WROTE A SINGLE LONG-WINDED TRACT ON HOW HE WAS THE HERO OF OUR GENERATION IN RESPONSE TO SEVERAL SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS AND TWO ESSAY QUESTIONS.

YA BOY FAILED HARD AND IS NOW UNEMPLOYED BUT THAT NOVEL IS COMING ALONG GREAT THANKS FOR ASKING.

why does he wear the patch

Eye operation

>bomeme redditman
are you 20 and nihilistic?

21 and wicked, my fine fellow, but the good news is I've never seen the show. I just saw the original pic related and thought it could stand a slight touch up.

aside the from some reddit tier pop culture references the show is pretty decent

I have this horrible plague of not having any interest in tv shows, instead gorging on video game commentaries and streamers when I'm not reading, writing, and learning foreign languages. I basically kill two hours a day no matter what to the most mind-numbing nonsense that I'm not even entertained by. Pls help.

tbqh i spend most of my time shitposting if not crying in my bed so you are not that bad
but yeah if you are not reading you should be watching some cool hip stuff so at least you get things in common with normals, or listening to music.

feels bad man
>tfw 2obscure4friends

do you write at least?

songs, my brain isnt good enough for novelas, poetry or erudite music
jdimsa ;_;
maybe if i dont kill myself and get to 30 or 40 y/o i will have enough life experience to write something worth trying to publish
>friends
the ultimate meme, if they arent childhood all life friends they arent friends
>tfw no childhood all life friends

guys I just started to read Finnegans Wake. wtf is up with that book? I can't read more then 3 sentences.

then practice now by writing pleas of insanity and depression! I chose instead to live through ridiculous adventure in hopes of acquiring enough experience to write on. Moving to Chengdu, China soon, was already homeless in Berlin for a few weeks. Wish me luck on my garbage novel.

luck on your garbage novel lad

to be a G O O F
_go_of_ O _ _ O
_fo_og_ O _ _ O
_go_of_ F O O G

They are technically called quotation dashes and are (supposedly) the same size as the em-dash, though in a few countries they supposedly can be wronger. They have a separate UTF code. In LaTeX you can produce them with three hyphens.

See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Quotation_dash

He knew the truth

he was absolute madman
you wouldnt understand

why did he use fucking nothing?

he thinks it clutters the page

he does it well, imo. I never feel lost reading his stuff

>missing le point
heh

g'luck la

Was he black?

the two schemata are literally joyce fucking with them

I agree, that it clutters the page and that he pulls it off without them. Ive been trying to write with McCarthy style punctuation, and even if you dont leave the text like that it is very helpful when writing dialogue and interactions, because the sequence and description should inform the reader, not a script like format. I feel it forces me to write better.

bump

You have to take your time. It helps to listen to Joyce reading a little bit and realise a lot of the more obvious meanings come out in a drunken Irish narrative voice. So you can easily begin to get a bit of meaning by seeing where a vowel has slightly changed, or a couple of sounds have been switched around, or where there's a lisp or a slur or something.

I've heard it compared to a cryptic crossword before and it's definitely a similar kind of thing in a lot of ways. If you're still have trouble getting started check out the skeleton key or something similar and use it as training wheels until you start getting the gist of what's going on.

Quotation marks are ugly. Some littérateurs are actually concerned with visual as well as conceptual aesthetics.

delillo does it better

Where?

I heard hyphens were used be because play writing was what he was around in Ireland, so he took what was common of the playwrights of his time.