Short Stories

What are your favorite short stories?
Is Borges the master of the short story format?

>be Uruguayan
>never read any Borges

I think Sabato is the best Uruguayan writer anyway

this

wait except that's not her short story collection

El Tunel is awfully mediocre, but Sobre Heroes Y Tumbas is great.
Trying to buy the third book, but I can't find it anywhere, so I'll get some of his essays.

>El Tunel is awfully mediocre
you are probably a normie or the translation is awful

The Variable Man by Dick

Bartleby the Scrivener remains a favorite of mine, but it depends on my mood.

Cortázar Las Armas Secretas.

Also, I'm trying to start a Spanish critique circle

Gass's early work, Mrs. Mean, I think is a true masterpiece, though it borders on novella

I'm spic.
El Tunel was too 'pss nothing personnel', Castel was fucking retarded and the whole situation was too autistic.
SHYT was clever yet chaotic. The slow build to a non-existant climax was glorious, the Informe Sobre Ciegos was a fucking rollercoaster and all the different details on the book were pleasing (like the Lavalle tribute, the Plaza de Mayo incidents and that chapter with fucking Borges). Also, I'm more of a lonely dude with no self-esteem and mommy issues rather than a /r9k/ artist.

I have to re-read El Tunel tho, now that I know Fernando's theory about the whole plot being a ruse pulled by the blinds to ruin Castel's life[/spiler]

The Lottery. Reading it a second time was fun.

The ones who walk away from Omelas.

Though I haven't read many.

Borges - The Immortal

The best collection of short stories ever.

I don't see the appeal of Mrs. Mean. The Pederson Kid is excellent, but other than that his short stories aren't anything special.

1. Barn Burning, Indian Camp, any by Barthelme (especially City of Churches), Pastoralia, Tenth of December, Good Old Neon, The Swimmer, A Perfect Day for Bannana Fish, the first story from Jesus' Son, anything by Chekhov, The Dead, most of Tolstoy's, Sonny's Blues
2. Yes. Ficciones may be the most perfect collection I've ever read.

R.A Lafferty is the true master of short Fiction. Gene Wolfe is a runner up.

>Uruguayan
>Sabato
>Borges

Literally kill urself, m8

>comparing El túnel with /r9k/ or Coldsteel the Hedgehog

Clearly the edgy one is you.

Wew Marc

Raymond Carver's are pretty good

Theologians.
>Is Borges the master of the short story format?
Yes.

>For Esme With Love and Squalor
>Shakespeare's Memory
>Byron the Bulb

The Girls in their Summer Dresses by Irwin Shaw
A Clean Well Lighted Place by Hemmingway
Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville
Young Goodman Brown by Hawthorne

Borges himself was well aware that he was not on Kafkas level. Kafka is the answer to your question OP.

>Castel was fucking retarded and the whole situation was too autistic.
Just a quick reminder that if you see somebody say that something was awfully mediocre or shit on something that you like: There is no reason to grow insecure over what you feel. 90% of people who make statements as ''It's awfully mediocre'' are people like the person i quoted.

>clever
>yet chaotic

Flannery O'Connor and Joyce of course. I think Hemingways best work is his stories as well.

>Fell for the kafka meme
Memes all the way down, boys

My fav writers are:

>Alice Munro
Won the Nobel
>Kjell Askildsen
Will probably win the nobel in a few years
>Katherine Mansfield
Best modernist short story writer
>Breece D'J Pancake
Cool guy
>Raymond Carver
Also cool guy

Any of them could claim to be the master, except maybe Pancake because he died before reaching his peak. Borges is alright I guess.

>winning nobel
>sign of being a master
Not a single master has ever won the nobel. Decent writers have (Faulkner, Coatzee, etc.) but not a single master has (Tolstoy, Proust, Joyce...)

Also,
>Katherine Mansfield
The only person I've ever heard praise Mansfield was Hemingway before he swiftly dismissed her as minor in comparison to the Russians, in particular Chekhov. Don't take yourself too seriously.

Lord Dunsany is my favourite short story writer. His Fifety-One Tales are fantastic.

>not a single master

Hamsun m8