The Picture of Dorian Gray

Hey Veeky Forums just finished reading The Picture of Dorian Gray. Your thoughts on the book?

bump

bumpo

Absolutely brilliant. Possibly one of the most beautifully written books ever.

It was alright I guess.

I rated it 4/5.

Was Lord Henry gay?

I believe he did have an more than friends attraction towards Dorian, so perhaps Bisexual?

Comfy read. Not a great novel by any means but nice prose and homo feelings.

You're either gay or you're not, 50%.

He fucked everything he could, better?

lol

I absolutely adored it, it's one of my favorite books I simply love every part of it save that one chapter (you know the one)

>tfw you will never be a rich dandy smoking opium while lounging languidly in parlors

very good.
executes its aims perfectly.
masterful blend of high-gothic themes -- of inversion, deception, corruption ect -- with a witty critique of victorian hedonism.
you can tell that it is the sole novel of a dramatist though.
8.3/10

Bisexuality does exist you dense faggot.

beautiful book. The prose was phenomenal.
shame he didn't write more novels

Finished it last week, really enjoyable, except for that part where he describes jewels and draperies at length

I loved Lord Henry's wit and cynicism.
Not sure what to make of the ending though. Thoughts?

im trying to figure out what it was saying about art/representation

In the world of futility and appearances in which Dorian lives, how he looks is everything he has/is? So destroying the only representation of himself is like killing himself? Sounds a bit lame.
Anyway, Basil is the one who put too much of himself in the portrait and even says so repeatedly.

So is that middle chapter that talks about all the books and jewels and fabrics and perfumes that Dorian obsesses over symbolic of other vices?

It's implied that Dorian had a long, slow descent into debauchery, but all that stuff doesn't seem like some great sin.

This thread can't die. Nothing of substance has been said yet.

It was good when I read it way back in High School. I'm fixing to reread it.

Replacing morality completely with vapid CONSUMERISM is pretty sinful.

>jewels and fabric symbolic of other vices?
I'd say that those were just to show how completely Dorians life was taken over by his obsession for aestheticism. All those subjects were about how pretty those things looked, not about substance.

To add to that, his opium use and other vices are revealed later on and hinted at by other characters during the novel.