Is it me or are you guys too naive about the future...

Is it me or are you guys too naive about the future? I don't understand how you people think a "singularity" will happen, or how interstellar travel is possible
In my opinion, we'll return to dark ages

I don't understand why do people just keep referring to "singularity". singularity is anything and everything that is singular in it's existence in some way. like gravitational singularity is the single point in spacetime where gravitational forces are infinite...

what you are refering to is Technological singularity, so at least if people could spell it out, or just say Super AI or something... gosh, ambiguity like this triggers me...

anyway, People can only be this naive about stuff they don't understand. I think that's perfectly normal though, expectations and dreams are always motivating. And the other half thinking this are trolls and memetards

That's okay...you're young and stupid, and take the huge leaps forward in technology in the last couple of decades for granted. You think the internet and flat screens and computers you could put in your pocket and streaming shows and games and music, etc, were always there and that garbage like vinyl and video tapes practical special effects and 2D animation in movies and sending humans into space instead of badass robot probes were something we voluntarily put aside and something worth missing, like all the nostalgic hipster bullshit out there these days.

Being alive a while might give you some perspective.

if you look at history, technological booms are not uncommon, followed by a few years of quite time. It takes an important discovery to cause such a leap in technology and we don't get these kinds of discoveries every day. Not to mention that interstellar travel for example is a huge problem even if you had infinite fuel and have been able to approach speeds of light. you need FTL speeds for that to even be viable.

Some people are optimists, some are pessimists.

But take it from me: You're all retarded.

>I don't understand how you people think a "singularity" will happen

Well, that's kind of the point to a singularity though, isn't it?

>you need FTL speeds for it to be viable

We are not that far off from being able to completely freeze a human being without cellular damage and revive them at a later date. I give it 20 years, at that point who cares how long it takes you to get to any destination in the universe when it just seems like a good nap?

Even if we're 20 years from reliably freezing humans safely, which is ridiculously optimistic, there are several other technologies we'd need to perfect to make the colony ship a reality.

You don't freeze dead humans and send them on a trip, you upload them and send their minds interstellar distances with a giant message laser...with a shitload of redundancy at the sending end and error checking at the other.

This is after you use Von Neumann probes (in this case, a few billion nanostarships accelerated to nearly the speed of light by an EM cannon, then decelerating by sacrificing a percentage of their infinitesimal mass) to first travel to and establish a Matrioshka brain base (a dwarf planet or moon will suffice) in the target system...and who, in turn, build another EM cannon and message laser, and more nanostarships. The uploads can then start exploring the new system in shape-shifting foglet bodies.

All this shit should be do-able in about a century. All that space boat Star Wars/Star Trek shit is Jules Verne-tier nonsense.

Sci-fi entertainment media is to blame for unrealistic views of the future.

What is the point?

>tfw this was already done and we are all in some satellite server farm

Strong AI is impossible, Read Penrose, Kurzweil and Co are basically a supercult for popsci fags and dweebs

We already live in the matrix. Everyone is so obsessed with "physical" material to realize this is all a hologram.

>we'll return to dark ages
While I'm fairly skeptical about many furure tech predictions, this statement is pure stupidity. The "dark ages", according to every serious historian, did not exist at all. More importantly, technological regression to the level of medieval ages is impossible. You say that we'll forget how to use internet, electricity and gunpowder and will bring back feudalism and monarchies? Come on.

Probably another doom monger like the ones that infest climate and futurism threads. They have zero faith in humanity and in fact want our species to fail.

>dark ages
>thinking it existed
Who's the naive one again?

>butthurt Westerners

>I don't understand

Let me try and help? When people refer to "singularity", they are usually talking about AI (artificial intelligence) operating at or exceeding human ability.

>I don't understand how you people think a "singularity" will happen

I think it'll happen because I remember in 2002 when you could say
>Drones and robotics are the weapons of the future
And you'd get
>Lol, not in your lifetime

>Dark Ages didn't exist
what

If one suffers a brain injury and loses his memory, is he still the same person?

durr write a 10000 word essay on it for homework this week

I don't understand.

Just because all the developments were lost doesn't mean they didn't happen. laddeh

Whole books have been written on this. certainly a ten thousand word essay wouldn't be hard. that's like thirty pages at the most.

I was under the impression the Dark Ages were notable for not really advancing education, innovation, etc., not because of some Ship of Theseus-tier nonsense.

Well far be it from me to question the wisdom of your master

If he said it's true then who am I to argue?

>technological singularity

Only people who believe that "AI is going to outsmart us and take over everything" believe in that.