Recent Purchases thread

Post what you've picked up from your favourite bookstores Veeky Forums

Rate, hate, rec, whatever

Pic related, I bought the pile on the right for around 20€ this afternoon

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/document/40906160/The-Pevearsion-of-Russian-Literature
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm fully aware that those are all classics and thus highly unoriginal, but I was happy enough to find books in English, not a common sight in used bookstores here.
Don't refrain from showing more exciting findings

Where's "here"? Romania? Poland? What?

found all these folio society books for $4 each at a used books store. I just bought "Great Short Stories" though I was tempted to also buy the poetry anthology.

Woah. I'm jealous I'd never be able to find any used folio's where I live in Australia.

>mfw some cheap ass Bonfire of Vanities' first edition tickled through my hands

France. I'm quite far from major cities atm

Jealous. "Great Short Stories" by who? Is that an anthology?

Why didn't you buy it?

>Why didn't you buy it?

I'm a NEET, mang. My finances are quite dicier.

Not even a few dollars for a book? Damn
You could even sell it and make a profit I guess

Solid collection, though I'm not too fond of how the cover material Mariner uses for their Calvinos feels in the hand. Kind of plastic, like I can't get a grip on the gloss.

Would you mind telling me about the 'A Traditionalist Confronts Fascism' book? I don't recognise it, thought going by the title seems interesting if a little forthright.

Got these today about 22 dollars.

It's a Julius Evola book.

Did he confront fascism?

He got blown up by it.

The big one is against the day.

Got these last week about 24. I like to binge buy once every 6 months or so. I started reading v already. Probably the beetle leg next but I'm still undecided.

Do you like Vollmann? I've never read his work, but I read an article criticizing him and I must admit some of the passages they included were trite and bad.

All's well that ends well

Tender Is The Night is wonderful. Read it back in June. The dinner party scene at the Diver's home is still in my mind. Some line about the entire room rising with conviviality I think. Good luck tackling those books, OP.

Overspent on Cardinal's Outsider Art but those little black penguin books are fantastic

This will be my first vollmann experience when I get around to reading it.

Not really what you guys would consider Veeky Forums but I was in the mood for some spooks (not the stirner kind)

The great short stories is an anthology. Russian (Pushkin, and the usuals), French, Irish, English, Japanese short stories.

It's a beautiful book. I am really wishing I snagged the anthology of poetry.

Great, now I don't feel like the only one who's read Dorothy Baker. Did you read anything else by her before getting it. I gotta admit, I've kept holding off buying Young Man with a Horn.

>I only buy and possibly but likely don't read Veeky Forums memes

pathetic

Got:
Journey round my skull by Frigyes Karinthy

Grimace by Frigyes Karinthy

Selected poems and short stories by Frigyes Karinthy

Please Sir! by Frigyes Karinthy

Füves könyv(book of grass/weeds) by Sándor Weöres

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

And a Bible

Pretty good for 43€ (48$)

What do you think Veeky Forums

Nah I'm way to poor to buy something and not use it. And I love the pynchmeister and his goofs and gags and descriptions of rambunctious behavior. I can't get enough.

They're decorative.

Thanks, I really wanted to read some Fitzgerald, this will be my first actually (no bully pls)

>Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe
Good choice.

>Sándor Weöres
I only now him as an author of children's poems, I'd be interested in his serious works.

bojler eladó

*know

Been wanting to reread Rabelais for a while, and I thought Screech did a good job with Montaigne. Speaking of which, I'm hoping Burton is one of those books I keep with me my entire life.
Herzog is my first Bellow. Did I do good?

Kierkegaard buddies!

Seems like you did. Can you read French? I see you picked Stendhal in French but Gargantua & Pantagruel in ENglish

I have a very basic understanding of french. I can read it alright, but I need a good dictionary by my side and its slow going. What happened here is that I read Pantagruel (Book 1) in French and I feel like I lost something, like some of the humor went over my head because I was struggling just to read the sentence. With Stendhal, I read the beginning in English, then picked up a Garnier edition and read that the rest of the way through and had little-to-no problems. Now I wanna go at it again, and I generally like the editing and notations in the Folio editions.

The Generic Book - Ed. Carlson & Pelletier
Feelings of Being: Phenomenology, Psychiatry, and the Sense of Reality - Matthew Ratcliffe
The Body Multiple: Ontology in Medical Practice - Annemarie Mol

I have a big penis.

pic or btfo

kek, you caught me on Body Multiple, I just ordered it. I just bought the Wittgenstein book though.

I've been busy building a nice library upstairs in my new house, but the number of books was too much for it, so I had to find room in the basement for a few thousand. The overflow bookcases in the den now have all the genre and pulp fiction (SF, fantasy, horror, mystery/crime), humour, comics, graphic novels and related, and the narrow corner unit has all my D&D books. I've almost inadvertently created a plebeian library in our basement, and a patrician library upstairs.
As for recent purchases, I finally grabbed Chris Ware's Building Stories, but haven't had a chance to look through it yet.

I've been reading Teattro Grotesco, I love it so far.

He wanted you to post your dick, faggot.

i

Looks fucking gay. Fucking weaboo degenerate.

Semi-related, I was recently gifted a book of gogol's short stories, translated by p&v
Are his short stories good? I enjoyed dead souls a lot

Gogol is good. P&V sucks.

Weeaboo? Oh, because 50-60 of my 5000 books are manga? Sad troll kids.

>Taschen big comic books.

Hello Sir Manchild, Earl of Plebbington.

grow up fedora

Nice meme. Bit stale though.

My pale cum sitting in your mum is also getting stale.
I don't know why I banged that whale.

Bought a book titled "Lives of Victorian Political Figures III, Fawcett"
Never thought it would be about a feminist.

What is your interest in Lyn Hejinian?

I never got the hang of the LANGUAGE poets, but Hejinian's My Life has the perfect balance of whimsy and nostalgic introspection and I really wanted to reread it.

So what do you guys think of Millicent Fawcett?

No but seriously, you're a legit retard if you've actually bought into the "P&V are bad" Veeky Forums meme.

I'm Russian, P&V generate stunned crippled translations without any consideration for what any of the writers originally said.

hey i have that same vineland

Ah I see. Have you read Susan Howe?

I don't really give a fuck if you're Russian. Other people who speak Russian and who study Russian lit have praised their translations.

I also don't believe that you actually read the works both in Russian and in their P&V translations.

Oprah Book club praised them you хyй.
What eminent critics.

It's a travesty.
scribd.com/document/40906160/The-Pevearsion-of-Russian-Literature

I leaved through several copies that belonged to some London slag that I porked.

You should post more pictures of your books, they're fun to look at / drone off of.

No. Should I? I was recommended her book on Dickinson in college but never got around to it.

I don't know. I enjoy her because she was more or less a gateway for me to a lot of other literature, and she's certainly underrated. These days I like her non-fiction stuff a little more, but she was my favorite of the so-called Language Poets and I spent hours reading her. Perhaps worth looking into, perhaps not.

If you like Dickinson, the book you mentioned is certainly worth a read.

I'd been planning on writing my dissertation on Dickinson in college, but something about the nature of her work and the interpretive scholarship I was reading put me off from doing it.
It's like if Blake had never published anything and his works had been stumbled upon; except Dickinson is much more private, insular, inscrutable.

I'm not a fan of incest.

yeah ok

That's interesting. Whom did your dissertation focus on if you don't mind my asking?

From the last thrift shopping spree

I was obsessed with Charles Beaumont as a kid

>Gravity's Rainbow companion
lol...

great illustrated classics are abridged senpai

I dropped out.

Did you steal those from libraries? What's with those barcodes

ah k

>Carver
I like you

>Full Frontal Feminism
What a cringey title

They're the barcode stickers online retailers use to keep track of their stock.

On a completely different, slightly-autistic note: I bought the Norton Milton's Selected Poetry and Prose recently from an online retailer (I actually took a seminar on Milton back in college but was too lazy/poor to buy the actual book, so I just read the poems in public domain and looked up the critical apparatus at the university library). The description said "Very Good—Gently used, has college/textbook stickers, etc." When it arrived, it had five (5!) huge circular stickers on the front cover, completely eclipsing the painting of Samson asleep with Dalila and the Philistenes hanging over his flowing locks (like Judith over Holofernes, Yael over Sisera). Now, I can accept the usual coating of inventory-tracking, itemizing stickers on a college-level textbook; but fuck you if you ever do this: if you ever work for one of these retailers and decide to stamp a huge sticker on the front cover, fuck you: fuck you in the ass sideways.

my only interest in Harold Pinter is that he supplied the (lines for) the dialogue which was used in a Nurse with Wound track.

As I read about him, he seems to be quite celebrated. And yet I have not just straight-up found a volume of his stuff in a bookstore.

It's actually well-written and useful for understanding GR more deeply on subsequent readings...

I used to work at Barnes and Noble, a big American book chain, and I used to have to put stickers on books and it was awful every time

I found it in a used bookstore in a small city in France so either I'm lucky or it's very common.
Anyway, it's supposed to be the second best 20th century English playwright after Beckett so I just went with reputation.

Also, I know I need to read more plays, something I honestly am quite reluctant to do so this was a good opportunity.

Any of you enjoy reading plays (besides Shakespeare obviously)? I read a lot of Molière and Musset when I was younger but I tend to avoid it now.