What do you do with the books you've read? Do you hold on to them forever (do you re-read often...

What do you do with the books you've read? Do you hold on to them forever (do you re-read often?) Do you throw them away? Sell them to used bookstores? Burn them for warmth? I usually discard them via pic related. Is that bad? Am I robbing the authors of potential sales?

I like to keep my books. My office doubles as a library. I loan books out to friends and use them for reference.

Whenever I see these they're always filled with shit

Same. Though I have picked up a number of good books from cardboard boxes with "free" written on them.

Put it in someone's mailbox when I'm out walking at night.

I keep stuff I really like, donate the rest to the library who have little sales in the lobby to raise funds.

Depends on the quality of the book, if I consider it to be an important book, I shelve it. If not, I donate them.

Probably because people grab the good books and leave the shit ones

I found a free library. And I donated some mystery books and a Johnathan Franzen novel.

I wonder if that copy I had was used to make a doorstop.

the good thing about keeping them, is that you can look upon the spines and titles, in passing, and impressions of a book's images, characters, and landscapes are felt briefly again.

i've gotten an updike, marilynne robinson, nabikov, a study of modernist literature, and some other good things i can't think of off the top of my head. you just have to go to rich neighborhoods to get the best stuff, i think.

I give them all away to friends, family, or charity stores. I only keep books I haven't yet read. The more enjoyment I get from them, the greater the need I feel to share them. I rarely re-read anything. Sometimes I'll see a book I read a while ago and forgotten on the shelves somewhere, and I get to enjoy the surprise of seeing an old friend. It feels like fate, sometimes, how these books can re-enter your life at times that seem so very poignant. I never quite got that feeling when they lived with me.

People near me do this, I have yet to look through them because there's almost no chance that they have anything I'm interested in.

>you just have to go to rich neighborhoods to get the best stuff, i think.

There are two in my neighborhood and they're usually filled will shallow non-fiction and children's books.

I still check regularly. I'm actually gonna do that now since one is next door, wish me luck.

holy fuck i lol'd hard

Where the hell do you all live where these little street cupboards exist? Yurop?

They are a neat idea, but I can't imagine checking it and not finding a shit or roadkill.

I usually end up giving them away to people I think might like them.

Although I also have 7 boxes of books in storage somewhere.

I have a small room dedicated to them in my apartment. I call it "the library." I write a lot, and I'm continually going and pulling them off the shelf for reference material.

Up to nine full bookshelves now, and probably about to add a tenth.

There's quite a few in Tennessee. It is a big "fad" here for the last few years. There's a website dedicated to it and everything.

In some cases, the actual box can be a work of art and worth the trip to see.

Did you find anything?

a white neighborhood

>Do you hold on to them forever?
Yes. Books are too expensive in this third world shitty country.

I almost solely read ebooks so they just stay on my hard drive since they take up so little space.

Can't be bothered buying physical copies, seems like a waste of money when you can get them more conveniently for free, and the fact they i live in a small place and wouldn't have room for many so would just end up getting rid of a lot of them.