What's a good book that I can read by him?

What's a good book that I can read by him?

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=sun and steel&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sucking penis lick assing hoiel he's gay hahhhf

After the Banquet if you don't like violent young men.

Kinkakuji or Gogo no eikou if you do.

any of them

I started with Confessions of a Mask

Sun and Steel is probably one of the best long-form essays I've ever read.

But yeah, anything I've read of him is good, just start somewhere OP.

Spring Snow. That was my first and favourite from Mishima.

Start with his Confessions of a Mask.

Don't read any post-1960 Mishima until you have an understanding of the pre-political Mishima aesthetic.

When the hell will someone translate the rest of his better work? Anime losers work through the night just to upload their fansubs for shitty moeblobs but can't do an amatuer translation of even some short essays?

>wanting a translation by the kind of people who translate anime

Why would you want that? It would be horrible.

Where did you get your copy? Amazon doesn't have the ebook nor anything under $40 for some reason

Not paying $40 bucks for a paperback essay

Better than nothing, non-japanese readers can't even judge Mishima accurately when some of his most personal work has never been translated (Kyokos house, Voices of the Heroic Dead)

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=sun and steel&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def

bookzz or libgen

People die when they commit suicide.

After The Banquet has such conventional storytelling that it seems almost out of place in Mishimas body of work.

you can start with whatever you want. Personally i would recommend The Sailor who fell from grace with the sea

Fuck. Veeky Forums told me to start with The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea. I liked it, but did I get fucked by reading it before any of his other works?

I recently copped a thirst for love. What should I expect?

Sound of Waves was a short and comfy read. Lots of bewbs. It's the only book of his I've read, though. Got Confessions of a Mask in the mail.

Expect homolust

about halfway through mask myself, and yeah, can confirm. I expected it to be that he was envying stronger, manly "men" (boys really) since he was such a scrawny weakling, and there is some of that, but mostly nah he's just gay

Holy fuck you people are retarded. Do you really think there is a right novel to start with? You could start with Sea of Fertility, Golden Pavillon, Sound of Waves, Confessions, The Sailor and a couple of other novels. If you like whatever novel you pick you read another, if you aren't sure you can also read another, if you don't like it, you move on.

Do you really always need to be told how "one" is supposed to do something?

The book really explains why Mishima was so into body building later in life

yeah, start with whatever book you want! personally i started joyce with finnegans wake and elmme tell you, i was ready and understood it perfectly.

top tier photo, as well as the original painting, but i don't know why in the book he says there are only two arrows when clearly there's a third, and clearly he knew that

As opposed to what? The Artist as a young man or Ulysses? Reading Dubliners before Finnegans Wake won't make you "more ready" for it.

Easy there, Jethro. Different books have different requirements for really understanding. What if the first book you read was Grav's Bow? Tbqh I would recommend anyone read AT LEAST two other Pynchon novels before moving onto the heavy stuff, and idk but Mishima could be the same way.

>What if the first book you read was Grav's Bow?

Literally the first book i've read. What's the deal about it? How will reading something else make Gravity's Rainbow easier? I'm not a teenager who needs to be eased into reading. These are standalone books and so far i haven't seen any disclaimer by author or publisher that maybe one ought to tackle less challenging books first before moving on to the real deal.

so you skipped Dr. Seuss and the Hardy Boys and went straight for GR? Interesting, quality post user, I'm excited to see your trajectory given that you've launched like a V-2.

A bit silly to point this out in my post and not in the one i quoted

>What if the first book you read was Grav's Bow?

A little bit of contextual thinking may have helped you here, we are talking about the first book one reads from an author

Oh, so all the books prior to GR were without an author. Now your argument comes together. I apologize.

No. I started with Sailor and, sure, you'd be better off understanding Mishima before digging into most of his works (which is why people recommend Confessions), but Sailor stands pretty well on its own and you should've been able to pick out some of his philosophy pretty easily just by reading it.

He is not a complex figure, You could start with Spring Snow and you would be fine. It really doesn't matter where you start.

I'm glad you took your time to make this board worse. I shall see you in shitposter hell.

imo sound of waves can't be appreciated without first reading one of his other novels and understanding the kind of style mishima ultimately chooses to follow

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World