EReader Reccomendations

Hi Veeky Forums!
I'm looking to curb the sheer amount of shit in my house by getting a Kindle Paperwhite. I've got a couple of questions for people who've made the investment -
> Can I easily upload the random ebooks I've torrented over the years, or are Kindles locked to the Amazon store?
> How annoying/ obtrusive are the ads?
> Do you actually use it?
> Are there better eReaders at the same price point?

>Can I easily upload the random ebooks I've torrented over the years, or are Kindles locked to the Amazon store?

Kindle has one function for this, and it's emailing the ebook as a document to your kindle.

You can use calibre for this, the send-to-kindle app, bookdrop with dropbox, etc

>> How annoying/ obtrusive are the ads?

There's no ads when you're reading. There's only ads in your home menu when you're browsing the selection. And they're ads in the form of book recommendations

>Do you actually use it?
Yes

Also I'm talking about wireless uploading, obviously you can put them on your kindle easily through usb. I haven't encountered drm issues

Oh ok cool, that's my main issue with it resolved then. How's the interface?

intuitive enough

pinch zoom for font change

swipe up for a bottom horizontal scroll bar

bookmarks

small windowed preview for the page you're about to jump to

search oxford/webster/wikipedia upon highlighting a word

vocabulary browser for all the words you looked up, and their context

Sweet, I'm sold. Cheers user!

>$2.00 has been deposited to your amazon account

thanks senpai

>1 month has been added to your Veeky Forums gold account

Nigga buying a Paperwhite will make your life a thousand times better.

That is if you even read.

Which you should.

Pleb.

Pic related, my home screen.

Kindle Oasis

Just curious, are any of these high res enough for manga/comics?

That's something I've always been curious about. I enjoy the feel of paper, but if I could do ALL my reading on one device, would be pretty cool.

Otherwise I'll just stick to my nexus 7 for reading.

You'd probably want one with a higher resolution. I've read some manga on my kobo aura HD and it was fine. You can also use kindle comic converter to make everything better fit your device.

i haven't connected my kindle paperwhite to wifi in about a week, and i don't have ads anymore.

a ton. its way more convenient when carrying around even in my house or to put in a bag or something than an actual book. so i find i read more because its easier, and i read at night before bed because of the backlight(as opposed to a real book + lamp on, which doesn't help me fall asleep)

Had a Kindle 4 for years and still don't see the need to upgrade. A new Paperwhite will do you just fine.

> Can I easily upload the random ebooks I've torrented over the years, or are Kindles locked to the Amazon store?
yep
tasteful lock screen ads

there is a banner ad at the bottom of the menu screen, but you don't really use the menu 90% of the time if you're a serial reader (you start and finish books) since unlocking the kindle brings you right into the text

yup. i like how i can read with one hand. annoying af with physical books now, trying to read in bed lying on my side and switch reading positions everytime i turn a page. the kindle solves this problem

plus no getting up to turn off the lamp after i'm done reading a physical book, just turn off the lights, get snuggly and read in the dark with the kindle. and just toss it on the floor when you're done, it's sturdy

no.

>Can I easily upload the random ebooks I've torrented over the years
Yes, you can find a program or website to convert them to the format (epub I think?)
Are there ads? I forget.
Yes, whenever I can't find a book through the library.
idk, I have no complaints about Kindle Paperwhite.

Got 100$, any other ereader suggestions? When converting to Canadian the paperwhite costs 140 with taxes...

have you looked at refurb paperwhites? used?

Kobo Glo HD, they're canadian

>tfww I barely read, and I want to believe that getting an ebook reader would get me reading a lot more, but I'm too afraid to buy one and keep on never reading

yes, by using calibre it is probably the easiest way

are there ads unless you buy the cheapest ad-supported version? I don't think so, so just don't if you're worried

>Do you actually use it?
I have two Kindles that I use all the time

I'm not saying they're necessarily better but Kobo readers are just as good, not sure if they're at the exact same price point but anyway

I think none are actually good enough for comics. You'd want a physically big screen for that, not only in resolution. Zooming etc with a 6-7" screen sucks due to e ink slowness. 10" tablets are the best thing for comics, probably