Is it possible for a moon to have a moon?

Is it possible for a moon to have a moon?

For example, could our moon theoretically have it's own natural satellite with a stable orbit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Artificial_satellites_orbiting_the_Moon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moons_of_Mars#Mars_moon_hoax
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_sphere
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_of_influence_(astrodynamics)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_orbit
twitter.com/AnonBabble

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Artificial_satellites_orbiting_the_Moon

How many of these are unpowered?
How many of these are unpowered for over 10 years?

>Is it possible for a moon to have a moon?
Yes, I'm not an astronomer but as I remember Saturn's or Jupiter's moons have moon.

>could our moon theoretically have it's own natural satellite with a stable orbit

Not an astronomer but a physicist, if you studied Newton's laws in school you probably already know the answer

Yes

3-body capture is possible but unlikely unless artificial, like Phobos and Deimos.

There was an [spoiler]/r/askscience[/spoiler] thread that answered this question thoroughly. I think they figured out you could have 6 moons-of-moons or something like that, but the planet's orbit would have to be gigantic.

There is no reason why not, but I guess that it wouldn't be stable for a long time (astronomically speaking).

THAT'S NO MOON!

>Is it possible for a moon to have a moon?
Yes. Look up "frozen orbit".

What was their reasoning?

the orbits have to be large for the system to be stable, I don't know the exact calculations

Tidal forces prevent moons from having their own satellites for very long under most circumstances

>unlikely unless artificial, like Phobos and Deimos.
wut

>Terra is a satellite of Sol.
>Luna is a satellite of Terra.
Yes it is possible OP.

>sol
>terra
>luna
Absolutely cringe

>robot using a tool made for pathetic humans

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moons_of_Mars#Mars_moon_hoax

isn't the earth just one of the sun's moon's?

isn't the sun just one of Sagittarius A's moons?

Yes, it's possible in general.

Our moon in particular, however? Probably not. Earth's Moon has a rather lumpy gravity field due to uneven density. As a result, most lunar orbits are unstable; there are, AFAIK, only four known "frozen orbits" where these irregularities all cancel out and you can stay in low lunar orbit indefinitely.
[not 100% sure about this, might be bullshit]

But if you ignore that, I think it should be possible, although it wouldn't be very likely to form. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_sphere and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_of_influence_(astrodynamics) are good approximations for the region in which an orbit could be stable around a planet or satellite; if you put the Moon as the less massive body and the Earth as the more massive body, they both give ~60,000 km for the region in which the Moon's gravity should dominate orbits.

Wikipedia says the true region of stability for natural satellites is usually more like 1/2 to 1/3rd of that, so let's call it 20,000 km. A quick check of the Roche limit says that this should hopefully be good; it's about 5,000 km outside the Roche limit. So yeah, if you assume a perfectly spherical, uniform density Moon, it should be just maybe possible for it to hold on to a tiny moon of it's own.

Isn't Sagittarius A just one of your Mom's moons?

>As a result, most lunar orbits are unstable; there are, AFAIK, only four known "frozen orbits" where these irregularities all cancel out and you can stay in low lunar orbit indefinitely.
>[not 100% sure about this, might be bullshit]
I think you're thinking about the Lagrange points, which are the points where an object will remain in phase with the moon.

No, it looks like I was thinking of a real thing.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_orbit

>Low Lunar orbit (LLO)—orbits below 100 kilometres (62 mi) altitude—are of particular interest in exploration of the moon, but suffer from gravitational perturbation effects that make most unstable, and leave only a few orbital inclinations possible for indefinite frozen orbits, useful for long-term stays in LLO.[1]

>Study of the mascons' effect on lunar spacecraft led to the discovery in 2001 of "frozen orbits" occurring at four orbital inclinations: 27°, 50°, 76°, and 86°, in which a spacecraft can stay in a low orbit indefinitely.

It's only for Low Lunar Orbit, though, which is *way* below 20 Mm.

Isn't your Mom just one of my dick's moonds?

joke ruined with typo. try again faggot

*tips fedora

faggot

fuck sorry im just high

Isnt sagittarius a just a moon of the black hole at the center of the galaxy?

Wtf this is not me?

nigga quit trippin lmao

sagittarius a is the black hole at the center of the galaxy... numbnuts

L1, L2 and L3 are not really that stable, you will need continuous adjustments. Not much though, perhaps enough with solar sails.

L4 and L5 are not really points but extended areas and tese are quite stable.