I don't read American Literature

>I don't read American Literature

Is there any other kind?

same and I don't read dead white male literature or even alive white female literature or even male literature. you should try it. gloria naylor is my shit

The problem with American literature is that Americans tend to champion mediocre books in order to act like they matter more on a global scale than they do literature-wise.

People try to put ridiculous corncobbers up with gods like James Joyce and then get offended when they get called out on it.

If Americans were less dishonest in evaluating their own culture people wouldn't feel so opposed to it.

American Literature is watered down.

I'm American, so anything I read is American Literature

The Recognitions was called the American Ulysses.

That's funny because your mother is watered down by my seamen right now.

But 19th century American-lit is the greatest era of literature.

Deep down you know it's true.

They also call their local little meme sport events things like 'World Series'.

Americans want to be number one, and in a lot of things they actually are, but when they are not they act like a spoiled child and either pretend their stuff is top tier when it isn't, or they go full sour grapes and pretend not to care about it in the first place and for example play handegg instead of football all isolationist.

Steinbeck was a misogynist and white supremacist.

Only American literature I read is Harper Lee

Should I tell you what your mother knows deep down?

Melville is great but other than that I'm not really impressed by transcendalism which is romanticism 2: corncob boogaloo or Mark 'Corncob pipe' Twain to be honest.

Especially not when you consider this is the same time Proust and Tolstoy and such were at it.

Yeah m8 we all saw that post in that Gaddis thread and then some guy called him edgy or some other dry adjective

England, France and Russia all had better lit in the 19th century.

>Tolstoy
>Tolstoy
>Tolstoy

p much this

you got melville and gaddis and a handful of other great works but not much beyond that. a lot of corncobbers.

>american """"""philosophy"""""

Melville, Emerson, Whitman, Hawthorne, Twain, and Dickinson. Also, Proust did not publish anything until 1913 so he is not included in the same century. Tolstoy is great but the whole of Russia did not produce the same caliber of work as America did in this time period.

>corncobbers
Explain this meme to a non-American

>corncobbers
You're aware of where that comes from, right?
Nabokov. The legalized US citizen.

>melville
great
>emerson
good
>whitman
meh
>hawthorne
garbage
>twain
mostly garbage
>dickinson
good

>putting those literally whos up against Gogol, Turgenev, Goncharov, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky and Chekhov

>I have shit taste and the rest of the world should too!
Okay senpai.

>Hawthorne garbage
I need Harold Bloom to shelter me in a safe-space, right now.

He was a Russian aristocrat in America, that's why he had a great cultured outsiders look at the naked emperor shit seppos call GOAT.

trash except for the whale lad

you've read some wikipedia articles on moby dick and leaves of grass and rolled with it. prove to me you actually read any of these authors with a semblance of depth beyond meme works.

/thread

meant

Show me something worthy to read from America, and I will. I have yet to see it.

Edgy.

Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway

It would be extremely American.

4God and country

I just had the image of a scene with all of these people together in one room and felt that special tingle in my spine that I get when I'm about seal the deal.

Not the guys you are responding to, but I've read Moby Dick and Leaves of Grass. I'm not sure why you think reading is so terribly difficult. It seems you are projecting about the whole Wikipedia thing, friendo.

if they actually read the names they listed theyw ouldn't have made such stupid posts friendo

I don't and never have with the exception of The Great Gatsby which I was forced to read in secondary school

'Kay

High school ruined American literature in Europe, we're forced to read dense, overly liberal and pretentious authors like Harper Lee, Steinbeck, Arthur Miller etc.

>implying there isn't great American literature

The US has David Pynchon, John Green, the list could go on.

Poe, Hawthorne, Lovecraft, Frost, Gaddis are all great, desu, also the only Americans to whose greatness I can attest. I tried reading The Rabbit series, got too bored. Bret Hart is very good, O'Henry is also good, but Twain I never found to be what he is cracked up to be.

Literally who.

It's called the "World Series" because it was originally sponsored by a newspaper called the New York World Newspaper, you dip.

You ain't gonna fool nobody.

I agree with this post.

Americans are as insular about literature as they are all other forms of culture.

Moby Dick is based though.

> try to put ridiculous corncobbers up with gods like James Joyce

I hope you're posting from Ireland pal

I mean, we did produce Faulkner, Twain, McCarthey, and Morrison.

borges is pretty good

wew lad.

this is the best you can come up with?

embarrassing desu

Who are considered the best British authors of all time? I'm serious. With the exception of Shakespeare and Chaucer (who barely retain any traits of that affected and decadent society) they are rarely discussed here?

Well, Twain is great for kids.

James Joyce for one you dunce

I hate plays so much, I haven't read much Shakespeare, I suppose I'm missing out a lot.

They're talking about the US.

????

In defense of the US I must mention John Kennedy Toole, a giant who died like a rat.

Wrong. Who said US?

Well, then why did they say America?

Op says American you fucking toolbags
How did we get named a smart board?

I'd say because most of the world call the US, America. If we're talking about the whole America's literature then it's different. Borges, BolaƱo, Vargas Llosa, Casares must be invoked.

Any endearment of his colonial brethren is certainly absent from his writings. It mainly centers around all things Irish.

Are you telling me your best writer is an Irishmen in blood and in spirit?

Semantics. Time waste.

Nabokov wrote and taught in America and in my library his books are found in the American fiction section.

Can we claim him even though he's a Drago?

But then Brodsky would have to be mentioned as well.

you can claim at most half of him. realistically probably around 1/3. russian-ness pervades his works.

for comparison, in contrast conrad can be considered british for practical purposes since polish influences are negligible.

What's the importance of claiming writers to your country? Chauvinism is cancer

I like Conrad. He's one of the least sissy Englishmen writing during that time.

What about Henry James and Eliot?

You want them?

The 1800s were great literary years for many countries. The same can be said about the early 1900s. America was always in the race but I'd say there is no clear winner.

From the mid 1900s on, America has become the king of literature.

Joyce was a pooftah who didn't know what the fuck he was doing and shat out the big, steaming log that is Ulysses with a shit-eating grin on his stupid face

>this is what americucks who dont read anything other than dfw and pinecone memes seriously believe

gaddis is like the only real contender you have going for you

>""""""Englishmen""""""

>overly liberal and pretentious authors like Harper
You don't really know what liberal or pretentious mean, do you? Harper Lee was pretty much the opposite of that. Not to mention the fact that she only write one fucking book. You didn't read "authors like Harper Lee," you read To Kill A Mockingbird, an incredibly short book. Sorry it fried your European brain with its stunningly pretentious and liberal portrayal of a complex issue from a child's perspective. Over here we read it in fourth grade

It's such a shame they forced her to release the incredibly shitty unfinished draft they released last year.

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN

SO LET IT BE DONE

>No Poe

I'm reading Heart of Darkness

I like a lot of American novelists.

American """"""poetry"""""" is another matter entirely.

Fucking kek. He's the worst of the corncobbers.

The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as best I could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge

He's actually a literary genius. Have you read his criticism? But his ancestors were American revolutionaries and he was involved in a few Republican networks during the 19th century that promoted the arts. So the Anglo-scholars perpetuate the myth of Poe, the doomed incestuous drunk.

ITT yuropoor butthurt inferiority complex

How they wish they were apart of the greatest cultural and economic achievement in human history

How they envy the US for producing IJ

They didn't force shit you libtard, three separate state investigations found her competent and in-full knowledge; Marja Mills is a disgusting individual who got caught lying through her teeth to hack journalists.

He wrote the Brazilian equivalent of Ulysses.

>no one has even mentioned fitzgerald

Fitzgerald, with the exception of the Great Gatsby, is a Jazz Age writer, not an American writer. If you want to understand te Jazz Age, he's great. If you want good writing, you're kind of shit out of luck

Many Europeans are still having trouble processing that the United States has been their cultural and artistic superior since the end of World War II. Centuries of assumed intellectual dominance has robbed them of hunger and encouraged complacency, and now they're watching dumbfounded as their proles learn American English from American image forums and their elites enroll in American universities (which are internationally regarded to be much more prestigious than their own). Within a couple generations Europeans will culturally be more American than French or German or British, and the conversation will be moot.

Jazz is a uniquely American phenomena

Kek
Eurocucks on suicide watch.

the british haven't been relevant for a long time. but thanks to post colonialism, we still teach shakespeare in our school like he's objectively the best thing ever, and our parents talk about the beetles like they invented music even though they were just glorified pop music for women

>this is what eurofags that only know about Veeky Forums memes actually think.

Come on, user. Try a little harder.

He didn't write about JAZZ, you numbnuts, he wrote about the JAZZ AGE

1919-1929? The Roaring Twenties?

I doubt Fitzgerald ever really listened to that much jazz. He was very much a fuddy duddy

>we have the best unis so we must have the best literature

i think you intended that reply for your outraged seems unreasonable for

Whatever the case the book is a pile of half baked steaming shit.

You must be getting tired, grasping at all Tahoe straws like that.

Because it didn't fit your narrative?