What's your opinion about this movie, /sci?

What's your opinion about this movie, /sci?

pretty good.
It's my favorite type of sci-fi.
Also see Ex Machina

He was right to be barred from the mission.

This and 2001 are the the ONLY scifi movies, as far as I'm concerned
>and blade runner
FINE AND BLADE RUNNER

Increasing in relevance due to CRISPR.

What, you didn't like Chronicles of Riddick?

I thoroughly enjoyed it and have seen it more than once.

>Also see Ex Machina
I found it started a bit slow, but so long as you are a fan of psychological thrillers and sci-fi it is an absolute winner.

Also watch Black Mirror

I think that's what makes it interesting-it's an account of someone whose desire to live their dream becomes so strong that it overpowers all other concerns-identity,family, love,and ultimately his integrity. He may be happy to die of a heart attack after 2 years in space, but will society benefit?

It's a subtle undercurrent but it's there. He's every bit as flawed as the society he is fighting against.

I never thought about it like that before, i haven't watched it in years but I'll give it another view with that mindframe because that does sound interesting.

> Black Mirror
added to the list.

Black mirror is retarded

>Black mirror
removed from the list.

Well that was quick.

Look at the scores on your preferred film review site.

Now put it back.

I loved Gattaca, but it's probably because I share the feeling of not belonging to Earth

>Star Trek is not Sci-Fi
also, District 9 is Sci-Fi

"I never saved anything for the swim back" pretty much sums the whole thing up, he doesn't give a fuck about anything, he just wants to leave Earth

Star Trek is space drama, not sci-fi.

>Fraud and theft are good things if you are being "discriminated" against

liberal horseshit

Alien?

Alien is a very good sex/body horror movie but not such a great scifi movie. I can't really call a movie that has a moral of "we scienced too hard and let loose an unstoppable evil" science fiction.

Riddick is future fantasy.

Did it ever said they were good things faglord?

Yeah but it's a different subgenre.
It belongs with Snowpiercer and In Time in the "using future tech to talk about current injustices" genre, instead of the "a new tech was developed, here's some story about it"

Speaking of District 9, did anyone else watch Chappie?

THREAD HIJACK:
What is the most SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATEâ„¢ scifi you've seen?

Serial Experiments Lain

The Expanse seems to be trying very hard to be

I watched this back when I had biology in HS.

hard work will always beat genetics + created "superiority"

>did anyone else watch Chappie?
Yes. It only had comedic value as a two-hours Die Antwoord clip.

Primer

TEH MERSHIN

Gattaca was and still is easily the best sci-fi ever made. The whole nature vs. nurture vs. motivation aspect of it holds true every day even now. But sadly, the movie was deliberately placed in a point in time where the moral dilemma was still functionally plausible.

With sufficient knowledge and control of genetics as well as psychology, only the genetically best, AND the most hard working, AND the most motivated people would ever be allowed at the top. At that point, your motivation and desire wouldn't be nearly enough, if you simply lacked the genetics.

Another similar movie I feel needs mentioning, is Equilibrium / Cubic.

Both Gattaca and Equilibrium cut close to the point of free will being extremely damaging to the society. I'd like to see a decent budget movie about that some day, without stupid asinine plot holes and deliberate fuckups mind you.

>...cont
This binds well into Veeky Forums in other ways too. Our flaws, our free will, our emotions, are what make life worth living. Without all that, we'd be little more than machines. While I don't subscribe to any conscious universe BS, I do believe that there's a bit of a truth to the idea that without a conscious, feeling creature to experience the universe as it is... there would be no point to any of this. The most complicated, emotionless civilization imaginable, would be little more than a more elaborate version of a simple rock being acted upon by the forces of gravity.

But because we, people, are as flawed as we are, I believe eugenics or a totalitarian control or total removal of our free will, are unavoidable given enough time. With our destructive power ever increasing, while granting our primal tendencies for selfish acts and violence ever greater heights... it's necessary to stop those urges sooner or later.

In that respect, the only future I can see is in some form of AI controlled society. One where there is no need to eradicate our greatest weakness, while taking the only reason for experiencing life with it. With an AI, we wouldn't need eugenics, or total control. We could be free to express ourselves, free to experience love, sorrow, even anger. But would always be helped and stopped in time before causing irreparable damage to others.

Ethan Hawk is my favorite actor.

IT'S NOOOT
because it isn't also MOVIEKINO

this

You're shooting low if you think lifeforms from earth are the only genetic pool to get the job done. Composition wyse. Get powers an shit.

>experience
>ascribing passive elements to humans

Nice flick but stupid premise. I don't think we will start discriminating using genetics. We don't allow drugs in sports tournaments and that is a similar logic.

I do hope genetic industry takes off, though.