Elf ears through genetic engineering?

How would one go about engineering a set of biological elf ears?

Since there's currently no gene coding for it, how would one go about figuring out which set of genetic sequences would give someone elf ears?

Also, let's say we have found a gene that would code for elf ears, would it be possible to use CRISPR to give some adult human a set of elf ears by injecting them with a new gene?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_syndrome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Since there's currently no gene coding for it, how would one go about figuring out which set of genetic sequences would give someone elf ears

Cause random mutations (possibly targeted to areas with genes we know are related to ear development) in a large population, have it grow up, then screen them for the sort of traits you want, then continue refining/cross-breeding them until you get what you want and identify the specific genotypes causing the phenotype.

You could also try looking for homologous genes in species which do have ears sort of like that and possibly base some targeted changes based on that and see what happens. You could (should?) also do what I describe in the previous paragraph on species other than humans due to ethical and practical concerns.

The bottom line is that predicting complex de novo phenotypes from putative genotypes is not really a thing that can be done with our current knowledge. The systems involved are much too complex.

>Also, let's say we have found a gene that would code for elf ears, would it be possible to use CRISPR to give some adult human a set of elf ears by injecting them with a new gene?

Probably not, the ears have already developed in an adult (though they continue to grow somewhat throughout a person's life).

Erm, there is gene coding for it. Go and look up Darwin's point

>Darwin's point
Or Darwin's tubercle. Most people have it. You just need to activate its growth

Does that means

Computer modeling of genes and their effects on a computer model is what you do first. Once genes are properly modeled we can change them as will on the computer that will accurately reflect real life. Once the results are satisfactory you just change the genes IRL.

Imagine a computer program where you can essentially have a character maker, much more detailed than the one in something like TESV:Skyrim or any avatar program really. Then export the gene targeting needed to do it in IRL.

The technology could be taken so far as to actually have the machine make the "potion" right there and spit it out to inject you with. I'm sure it'd be a shitty ride though.

The main problem is that computer modeling gene research would take so long to create a program that could do it, you could probably breed the trait in a few generations.

>Cause random mutations (possibly targeted to areas with genes we know are related to ear development) in a large population, have it grow up, then screen them for the sort of traits you want, then continue refining/cross-breeding them until you get what you want and identify the specific genotypes causing the phenotype.
Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Yeah, let's do random search on something that takes months/years between iterations and could result in horrible mutations if wrong.

Start here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_syndrome

Study the mutations in the arm of chromosome 7 that lead to the physical manifestation of the disease, including pointy ears and an "elfin" appearance, and it shouldn't take long.

Just find a guy with long ears and a girl with long ears and have them lots and lots of children, then mae the mutation stronger by breeding the two kids with the longest ears. Works just like dog breeding

The same you would with big dick. Amplify scaffolding patterns in the right directions and produce lots of sonic hedgehogs.

>Williams syndrome
>"elfin" looks

I think they mean "Brian Froud goblins and gnomes" looks.

>Williams Syndrome
they don't have pointed ears.

here is a picture of a person who have it .

can someone explain how CRISPR would deal with existing tissue? I you used it to alter someone's ear, would the old ear fall off or something or would it just change the existing one?

This really depends on which gene you would target and how. If the knife ear gene is highly expressed during development (especially embryonic development), the person's ears will not reflect the change whatsoever - the normal ears will remain.
However if the gene is something that is expressed at a relatively constant level, the knife ears might form and might not.
It really depends on how the existing cells and tissue complex will deal with the protein, RNA, or hormonal change. If it is a hormonal change however, I can say that the ears will alter slightly day by day into a knife ear. The old ear won't fall off ever, if that was what you wanted to know. Gene change doesn't mean that the old ear will be registered as a foreign component - which in that case, it might just actually fall off.

Easier to just do it via cosmetic surgery

So genetic modifications can't affect exiting structures?

Using crispr to deal with existing tissue isn't feasible. It would have to somehow enter most of the cells in your ear.

can't you just give injections into the ear?

Try another Wiki page

>Stahl’s ear deformity describes the presence of a third crus (shank) in the pinna, which produces a pointed elfin ear. The third crus is additional to the two crura (shanks) of the normal triangular fossa (depression), which traverses the scapha (elongated depression separating the helix and the antihelix).

interesting. but these deformities look nothing like elf ears.

No. That's not how crispr works.

Read a book.

There are no books on CRISPR, user. Quit fucking with the guy.

please give us a better way to do it? Magicaly summon elves and mate them with humans?

That's the literal way you fag. Find the one with the gene you want (e.g.slightly pointed ear), refine/crossbreed until you hope for a multation for the ears to grow even longer.

Give the fetii alcohol so that the FAS would cause thinner ears so that it is more likely to be pointy.

Well, that is all I found and it says elfin ears.

Sadly I don't have a reference elf handy here. Then again I am sure some bat crazy parents to be will get their baby a pair of Tolkien grade ears in the near future.