Alright, let's answer this once and for all

Alright, let's answer this once and for all.

Why is America's educational system so shit? I always see people here (& even on other sites) bashing it but I can't figure out why as a non-foreigner.

Other urls found in this thread:

nus.edu.sg/oam/docs/uee/2016 Math (AO) (Sample Past Paper).pdf
jeemain.nic.in/webinfo/PDF/03-04-2016-SetH.pdf
jeeadv.ac.in/pdf/2015p1.pdf
jeeadv.ac.in/pdf/2015p2.pdf
youtube.com/channel/UCY7JUWV00CypnJEEIyyV4MQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lack of experts creating curriculum, lack of competent teachers, uncompetitive pay rates for said teachers, social disdain of intellectualism, standardized testing and pass rates being the main 2 metrics teachers are judged by, poor nutrition and home environments more general for poor students, "teaching to the test," viewing school as a place to learn some college prep skills and not overall life skills...

I'm sure there's more but if you're an American I don't know how any of this would be surprising or confusing to you.

I meant that I am a foreigner, my bad, don't know why I messed up my English there.

Generally, Veeky Forums is a geographically diverse board with posters from all over the world. When non-Americans are insecure about their country's educational institution, they project on Veeky Forums -- an anonymous, turkish rug-trading emporium image board.

We teach to the lowest part of the education system and don't have remedial classes.

Honors level courses also ended up becoming normal tier courses and AP courses became the new Honors level courses.

This is also combined with teachers being pressured to find new and creative ways to get everyone at least a C rather than letting the people in 11th grade with a 4th grade reading level get failed.

As an addition my brother is a high school history teacher and has taught at a few schools and the general feeling of students is this
>Hate school
>Obsessed with anything non-education
>Those who succeed in classes deserve death
>Teacher is an asshole (even if they're not)
>WEED 420 PARTY ALL NIGHT

While parents
>Couldn't give a fuck what their kids are up to
>Have no idea that their child is an illiterate whore / future frat boy because they're all perfect angels
>See any criticism by the teacher as over stepping their bounds and coming at both their kid's and their lives (Might as well have written 'YOU'RE A STUPID USELESS CUNT" rather than "Do the reading, senpai"
>Probably beat their kid in secret

Ah sorry m8, then yeah those reasons are some of the biggest. I have several friends who are teachers and if they are in a shitty district (lots of poverty, gang issues, etc) it's both a nightmare to teach the kids, due to their circumstances, and it's rough dealing with internal school affairs because many of the older teachers and administrators are buddy buddy and work to ensure they keep their jobs rather than working for the students.

Of course, there are many good teachers as well, but having to fight against a system just to get the things your students need makes it hard.

As a britfag, i'm sure many things can be translated from our shitty schooling to the US.

Focusing purely on the school side.

State-funded schools can't attract the best employees because of the shit working conditions (dumb students) and low pay. Why would a capable person teach instead of go work for more money in a better work environment?

This leaves bottom of the barrel teachers, those ho aren't completely retarded (and so are employable) but are too retarded to get a better job.

In comparison to private schools, which pay more and have better students (and thus working conditions), and can attract better teachers.

Other issues include things like school size, class arrangement by ability, standardized testing; which in state schools are organized to min-max exam results, cost, funding, etc. Whereas private schools can focus on proper education such as critical thinking and understanding

Also doesn't America have the best universities in the world, like Harvard/Stanford/MIT etc?

I know professors don't have much time on their hands, but I'm sure someone could spare some time to approve standards or set them.

It doesn't even have to be from those prestigious universities, maybe somewhere like UCLA-tier.

>This is also combined with teachers being pressured to find new and creative ways to get everyone at least a C rather than letting the people in 11th grade with a 4th grade reading level get failed.
literally why, even the UK's system doesn't let people pass. IIRC in the GCSEs (equivalent to Grade 10 finals in America) if you don't get C or higher it's pretty much a fail. C or higher = 70% or higher I think

Not from the UK btw

>literally why
Started with the no child left behind initiative by the Bush administration. This tied funding to student pass rates and percentage of people who graduate. Students who constantly failed or were put into remedial courses often hated themselves and school and felt stupid and dropped out or would fail too much and be kicked out which would destroy funding.

C is 60% in the UK

America has some of the best universities, and creates some of the biggest brain drain on foreign countries.

The issue with standards is not that college professors are lazy or can't be arsed to make standards. Many do write textbooks or curricula for primary and secondary school, but if the state the school is in doesn't adopt those standards it doesn't matter.

Somewhere like Alabama or Texas (where I grew up) has a hard enough time just legislating to teach kids facts. I remember in high school (not some shitty one either) my bio textbook had a sticker warning that it contained controversial theories, i.e. evolution.

In "health" I just learned that if I smoked pot I'd probably be shooting up heroin next, and if I had sex I'd get an STD and knock someone up (no discussion of safe sex methods followed).

After I graduated i remember reading about the board of education trying to replace Thomas Jefferson with John Calvin as one of the figures students had to learn about related to the enlightenment

>In America 70% is considered a passing note (some ocasions even let as low as 60%)
>In Portugal you can pass with only 50% (some ocasions even let as low 40%)

Take your pedophile cartoons back to .

The quality of public schools in the US is entirely dependent on the economic health of the area. My public high school was ranked in the top 20 in the country, but was in an affluent area with reliable, wealthy tax-payers. Depressed areas have a really hard time getting funding and therefore quality educators/facilities.

I'd consider myself a libertarian/non-federalist, but I'd support some public education reform. We can't continue on with one foot in-the-door like we have been, there's too much a disparity in school qualities across the country.

Right, sorry forgot about the 90-100% A*.
>brain drain
All the more reason to do something about the K-12 education. My country has one of the biggest brain drain rates to America, and if I decide to move there at some point I'm definitely home-schooling my children.
She's 19, therefore not underage.
...speechless

>The quality of public schools in the US is entirely dependent on the economic health of the area.
I figured as much, I was looking at high schools in Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area and damn they're fine. Though I would imagine most people there would send their children to private schools like Harker or Menlo.

Yeah, that's typical. If your area has shitty public schools, you probably aren't paying a lot in taxes and can allot the money to paying a private school tuition. The taxes where I grew up were exorbitant, it's a "public school" that weeds out anyone who isn't financially able to pay the high taxes.

There's also the school board to consider.

Most countries have a very top down approach where almost all control of the curriculum, what teachers are fired, etc is from a state or national level. In America the school board of a single district has all the power. School board members are elected by the community so all the problems that get petty scientifically illiterate politicians elected apply here. An entire school board can be staffed by people who don't care or don't want there to be a good science curriculum.

The federal government has tried to solve this by creating a lot of standardized testing, but that's not really getting at the heart of the problem. It's like the owner of a burger chain trying to solve problems caused by incompetent store managers by giving performance reviews to the cashiers and cooks.

Very true. It's a bit of a crap-shoot in terms of STEM curricula. A lot of public schools in my hometown are beginning to open STEM satellites in their districts. My high school back in the day was so competitive that it could afford to hire great science teachers. But schools with tighter funding rely on school boards of people to allot funding, typically not in areas of science/maths unfortunately.

Teachers only "prepare" students for the test, and students only want to party and smoke weed. There's massive grade inflation that you're guaranteed to be stuck in community college if you don't take all AP or IB courses and any course that isn't AP or IB has their grades primarily determined by homework and classwork rather than exams and finals. High schools are only seen as college preparation rather than a place to receive general education. There's a lot of problems

I'm not american and I know 100% that this is bullshit. I grew up with people always shit talking americans, Europeans are jealous and like to pretend that all americans are retarded.

OP is a foreigner. He goofed up his English. And, not just Europeans think that, here in India we think that as well, because compared to our entrance tests for university, the SAT is a trillion times easier.

Mostly is their AP honors system in science and math. However, I was in the IB higher level math, physics and chemistry and it was also shit that was obsessed with teaching more "challenging" shit while just asking you to memorise retarded stuff and answer it in a limited time.

Funding is the problem.

India is shit compared to Singapore but America indeed is the worst.

From what I know your high schools are (obviously) much better, because we have underqualified teachers due to overpopulation. Plus your schools are a lot more competitive.

But when it comes to university admissions I'm pretty sure we have you beat, or at least on par.

>Indian Institute of Technology
>hard af entrance exam

and for NUS UEE you're allowed to use a calculator, where as for JEE you aren't. And the UEE looks easy as shit.

Compare:

nus.edu.sg/oam/docs/uee/2016 Math (AO) (Sample Past Paper).pdf

with

jeemain.nic.in/webinfo/PDF/03-04-2016-SetH.pdf (scroll down to page 17 for Mathematics)

we don't have this elective bs either, Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics is required

NUS/NTU is defo better for research tho

Sorry if I got a bit autistic there, I get triggered when people say that Indian universities are shit. (IITs aren't, student capability is probably on par with any top university in the world)

>Why is America's educational system so shit?
I was a HS student a year ago. My best guess from my experience is:

-Parents not giving real shits.
-Students aren't motivated to do work unless there is a big incentive.
-Passing grade is a D (Should be a C - 75% and higher)
-No strict enforcement of education by teachers and administrations and strict punishment on the students.
-A lot more funding is headed to the sports team than other parts of the school. (The football team lost every single fucking game in the year (No exaggeration), still got a new field while our band is using old ass instruments, but is one of the best in the state. Same shit happened to another school.)

Every country I've been to is like that.

>massive grade inflation
>primarily determined by homework and classwork rather than exams and finals
Don't forget that grades aren't uniformly inflated. Teachers have overly broad, sweeping discretion, particularly in subjective courses and particularly when they can justify excessive "participation points." There's considerable latitude to base a student's grade on personal feelings, whether their political/socioeconomic views agree/disagree, subconscious bias, even overt hatred.
Galois could not have gotten the grades for a top 50 from today's American public schools.
Those in certain underperforming demographic groups can expect far heavier windfalls of grade inflation too, with the barest performance.

i agree that's easy af. After you prove you're smart enough to do that exam (called JEE (Mains)) you have to write this (JEE (Advanced)):
jeeadv.ac.in/pdf/2015p1.pdf
jeeadv.ac.in/pdf/2015p2.pdf
not in india, where everyone only gives shits about grades

Forgot to mention. If you're smart enough to get a good ranking in JEE (Advanced), you finally get accepted for admission.

It mostly boils down to bad logistics at the K-12 level on all fronts.

For some school districts it's an issue with general funding. In other places the curriculum for particular grade(s) doesn't match the knowledge set of the new incoming student body for the year and thus time is spent on bringing them up to speed rather then keeping pace.

Then there's disciplinary issues with students in any given class where just enough "bad apples" can cause near destruction of learning flow and set the class back days or weeks.

And while I agree there are bad teachers unless you're teaching highschool math at the junior or senior level (where on hand understanding of formulas and their processes are needed for one on one help) even the most sub-par teacher should be capable of getting through each class with sufficient prep time and good demeanor.

Now I will say this, as someone who has provided teaching support at a few districts both teaching and co-teaching classes. I would not be inclined to pursue a long term career in teaching. Now maybe it's just the student bodies I've dealt with but considering the pay and benefits it isn't remotely appealling.

Especially when I've also been offered $75k jobs by tech companies (only reason why I haven't take them is because I want to get a Master's) and their benefits and ecosystem easily trump's that of k-12 schools.

Of course I might reconsider if the pay was better and in depth academic research projects (funded by the government or private firms) with the young kids helping out was allowed. But alas it's not and alas I won't stay.

-Teachers unions.
-'No child left behind' policy and the attitudes of thinking behind it.
-Too many ""administrators"" who don't really do anything except make up pointless new rules and waste the school's budget on things students don't really need.

On top of all that: Parents.
Too many parents don't push their kids at all, and instead of making them stay home after school and do their homework and study, they let them go out and smoke weed and drink with their friends.

Err shes actually more but /a/ still counts I guess.

Technically both because of the P3 movies. I haven't watched them yet but I hope she looks as good as she does in OPs pic.

US secondary schools < shit
US universities (STEM departments) > rest of world's
US universities (Lib Arts & Humanities) < rest of world's

*all figures excluding Africa and Middle East

>America's educational system
Your question makes no sense. Which state's education system do you want to ask about?

OP is foreigner senpai.

She a cute

You are a tard if you think the IB is about memorization. It's exactly the kind of system the US needs.

>ranking humanities programs
>implying they aren't all shit

Still would prefer her with a ponytail hairstyle.

Irrelevant subjects in high school
pic related

Also, here's what high school tests in relevant subjects look like in the US according to the same video

who is this cum drum

I've also heard you guys only have class from 8 to 14 or 15, and each course only lasts one hour
What the fuck can you learn in just one hour?

She's an underage French youtuber
youtube.com/channel/UCY7JUWV00CypnJEEIyyV4MQ

Why are French women objectively the best in the world?

She looks American to me desu

is this one of those american school shooters i keep hearing about on the news

It's just a child silhouette shooting target for their freedom class

Won't let us beat the kids.

Superior waifu coming through

Not saying that Aigis is bad, but Labrys > Aigis.

No

Why would you need an education system if you can just wait for other countries to educate people so you brain drain the good ones?

idk why but id really like to fuck the guy in that pic

>Hate school
>Obsessed with anything non-education
>Those who succeed in classes deserve death
>Teacher is an asshole (even if they're not)
>WEED 420 PARTY ALL NIGHT

You're all fucking retarded. I'm in the UK and this is the exact sentiment. It's like this every where. Here, the smarties get seperated from the people who don't care, and they get separated from the dumbfucks.

oi i will spin yor jaw blood
brap brap brap

NOT ENOUGH FUNDING

>bolt action rifles

>Video Games
The only time I got to play video games in high school was when in Drafting & Design after we completed the work and just loaded HALO or Counter Strike.

I think it has to do with the environment and the students willingness to learn. At my high school, the classes were all easy as fuck you just had to be willing to put in some effort. So you were either smart or not smart, no in between. You could blame teachers too I guess, but most of it is usually the student. You can't blame a teacher if there are students passing the class and there are others who aren't. There's also a thing called a textbook

I lived in a suburb of Memphis, Tennessee, for some years, and the high school that I went to was one that regularly appeared in those "Top 100 U.S. High Schools" lists. However, Memphis itself has been giving Detroit some stiff competition for the title of "Worst City in America", and although I (thankfully) have never seen the inside of an inner-city school, I have seen (far more than) enough of Memphis that when we moved away from there I was simply glad to get away from that cesspit!

Government monopoly plus extremely powerful unions

these comments are pretty hilarious. if burgers could read french they would be fuming
student attitudes are relevant to the problem.. but where are they originating?

read this and then read
economic factors effectively create a class division in education, and if you look at the student demographics of, say, harvard... well, not a lot of impoverished people are walking around there.

having common people be stupid is profitable for elites and the upper class. i would never advocate communism or marxism of any sort, but how do you close the education gap without placing restrictions on private institutions?

is it even possible to deliver good public schooling to a country of young people that don't give a shit?