Psychiatry, psychology, and other mental health care-related fields

What do you guys think about psychiatry, psychology, and other mental health care-related fields?

I ask because, so far, I've been diagnosed by both a psychologist and psychiatrist as having four different disorders: Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

However, I can't help but notice that most people don't consider these to be real "illnesses" and that these things are entirely "in your head" and that you can easily "will yourself out of" these problems. In fact, even I'm not sure that I believe these to be real illnesses.

Nobody in my family (or anybody else, for that matter) seems to give a single fuck about me having been diagnosed with these disorders. A cousin of mine simply scoffed at the idea of me being diagnosed with ADHD, making a dismissive gesture and proclaiming "everybody has ADHD!" My mother tells me that I need neither medication nor psychotherapy, that I should use my own will power to stop having depression. Other people tell me that social anxiety isn't a "real problem".

I've taken antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication in the past, and they only increased my misery tenfold.

Meanwhile, my psychiatrist wants to stop prescribing me Adderall (which I've been taking for nearly two years) because it might hasten the onset of schizophrenia. Mind you, as far as I know, nobody in my family has been formally diagnosed with schizophrenia. And the only reason my psychiatrist is concerned about this because I told one of the nurse practitioners who works at this same practice that I wanted to be referred to a geneticist to have myself tested for any possibly genetically inheritable disorders and/or diseases (such as: Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, antisocial personality disorder, etc.) And my psychiatrist wants to prescribe me Abilify instead.

So do you guys think that psychiatry, psychology, and/or other mental health care-related fields are bullshit?

Other urls found in this thread:

lindenmethod.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_seeking
foxnews.com/opinion/2013/01/08/are-raising-generation-deluded-narcissists.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they are not science

the disorders you have been diagnosed with are not scientific diagnoses

you should stop taking adderall. dont take any psychiatric medication, its all bad. for you.

They won't hear you. American culture is based on "magic pills" to success.

I think most disorders outside of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are mostly a meme and not nearly as disabilitating. Or they are at least a hell of a lot easier to manage.

t. schizophrenic

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders a mental disorder or disease can not be diagnosed as such unless it interferes with your work or life. Simply put, learn to live with it, own it, or find some way of making it work for you and it's no longer a disease/disorder.

>According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders a mental disorder or disease can not be diagnosed as such unless it interferes with your work or life. Simply put, learn to live with it, own it, or find some way of making it work for you and it's no longer a disease/disorder.

That's what I've been thinking. One of the reasons that I decided to start seeing mental health care professionals (psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, etc.) was because for years my family (among other people in my life, such as in school) have been telling me that I'm "crazy" and that I "need to seek professional help".

And so for years I was thinking that maybe there really was something seriously wrong with me. I started thinking that maybe I had a personality disorder (such as narcissistic personality disorder) or a mental disorder (such as schizophrenia.) So far I've seen two psychiatrists, two therapists, two neurologists, and a psychologist. One neurologist got me to pay $700 for an MRI scan on my brain that didn't reveal anything unusual aside from an "arachnoid cyst" (which is apparently very common, harmless, and goes away on its own.) I paid the psychologist $700 to test me for personality disorders (he administered a "Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory - 2" along with a bunch of other diagnostic classification and rating scales) only to find that I didn't have any personality disorders.

The psychologist told me that I had what he called a "schizotypal personality style" (not "schizotypal personality disorder".) Apparently what I had wasn't sufficient for me to receive the diagnosis of a personality disorder. Which I think it is a bit odd since this so-called "personality style" seems to have significantly interfered with my life, considering that I am a 27-year-old, unemployed, high school drop-out.

>I think most disorders outside of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are mostly a meme and not nearly as disabilitating. Or they are at least a hell of a lot easier to manage.

>t. schizophrenic

I've even been told that schizophrenia isn't real. That schizophrenia is just "hearing voices" and that we all "hear voices" and that it's called "thinking". There seems to be disagreements as to what schizophrenia actually is.

Some people diagnosed with schizophrenia seem to only have it as bad as auditory hallucinations but with no delusions. So they generally seem to function fairly well as long as they remain aware that their hallucinations come entirely from their own minds.

While others diagnosed with schizophrenia seem to have it so bad that they experience hallucinations that affect all of their senses: visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, and tactile hallucinations. All accompanied by bizarre delusions, disorganized thinking, poor memory... they can't really function at all.

Some have told me that "mentally ill" people are simply "weak" and thus can never adapt to the modern world.

After reading through the section on personality disorders on the DSM-5, particularly the pages for narcissistic personality disorder... I see that apparently people with narcissistic personality disorder can go on to develop major depressive disorder.

So if it turns out that I have major depressive disorder because of narcissistic personality disorder, then that essentially means that I really am "weak" and am thus incapable of adapting to the modern world.

I do not seem to have the will power to bring myself out of my depression.

>What do you guys think about psychiatry, psychology, and other mental health care-related fields?
Dim witted, dishonest, lazy bullshit, that's practically become an arm of pharmaceutical companies. Watching their half minded attempts to get results, and observing the average outcome, is quite frankly disgusting and pathetic. Those fields ought to be disassembled and stripped down by force.

Psychology is okay. Just okay. But it needs to recognize its nature. It's not a science and that's just fine, it shouldn't be. Leave the low level mechanistic approach to neuroscience.

I rarely drink, but I'm a bit drunk at the moment and will not allow myself to be pulled into a debate with stupid people. I've been to some fucked up places, and some of them part of me came to live in, to this day. But I fixed my shit. I got results. Which is more than can be said for these hackjob fields.

>Some have told me that "mentally ill" people are simply "weak" and thus can never adapt to the modern world.
These people probably drip all manner of disjointed asinine gutter trash from their mouths, all day every day. Ignore them and their myopic clutter. Be aware of the most base aspects of everyday experience and functionality, don't compartmentalize, build a framework of knowledge wherein all elements are well integrated in a generalized sense (a form of lateral thinking), and learn to think mechanically. The body and mind are machines. For all meaningful purposes in this realm, construcitivism is just reductionism that ignores scale, and reductionism works for a reason. If you think mechanically and try to understand the underpinnings of what you experience, you'll be fine, and you won't be drawn in by any disingenuous "broken for life" "magical vague chemical imbalance that just is" horseshit.

Fuck all of you, by the way. Just for being human. And fuck the DSM. It can suck the D SoMe, if you know what I mean.

You're a sad little man, but at least your less wrong then most

I'm more correct than most.

I was in same boat but my family has these mental disorders up the ass. I was on so many anti depressents but one day I quit them after taking a hit of acid. Started getting into Kundalini Yoga to clear my chakras. I'm not as functional as I was on adderall but I'm improving every single day and I've definitely gotten out of depression.

I've used the sahaja yoga method for kundalini awakening

If you're unemployed how are you partying for these tests anyway?

give this a try if you want: lindenmethod.com/

i'm pretty sure it saved my life some time ago.

Hello, this is semi related to the subejct:

I want to acquire the complete syllabus for all basic psychology degree courses at Harvard/Yale/Some other high ranking institution (I hope to gain some insight into the field in the long run), but I don't really know how to go about it and my poor vocabulary hinders my efforts as English isn't my native language.

Could someone please help me find these book lists?

What do you mean they are not science?

Oh is it because they do not follow rigorous scientific methods for proving something?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream

>If you're unemployed how are you partying for these tests anyway?

My family has been using my name and social security number for tax-related things revolving around my older brother's illegitimate and morally dubious business these past five years or so.

I get about 10% out of the income that I supposedly make (according to my taxes.) I use that money for my medical expenses since I don't have any insurance.

>I was in same boat but my family has these mental disorders up the ass. I was on so many anti depressents but one day I quit them after taking a hit of acid. Started getting into Kundalini Yoga to clear my chakras. I'm not as functional as I was on adderall but I'm improving every single day and I've definitely gotten out of depression.

>I've used the sahaja yoga method for kundalini awakening

Can you be so sure that the reason those things worked for you had nothing to do with the "placebo effect"?

>give this a try if you want: lindenmethod.com/

I'm scared to go to that link because my WOT Firefox extension is telling me that it is an unsafe web site. What's it about?

i have no problem accessing the site and it's safe. anyway, it's a recovery treatment for anxiety, panic attacks, phobias, obsessions & depression and all kinds of shit like that.
i really really recommend it, man.

>If you think mechanically and try to understand the underpinnings of what you experience, you'll be fine, and you won't be drawn in by any disingenuous "broken for life" "magical vague chemical imbalance that just is" horseshit.

But how can I be certain that the disorders that I've been diagnosed with have genuinely mechanical underpinnings, and aren't just made-up bullshit? How do I know whether or not I was misdiagnosed?

And if these disorders do have mechanical underpinnings, what can I do? Take antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication (which I already have and they only made me feel worse)?

Some of the most common pieces of advice that I've received from people on how to deal with depression is stuff like "go outside" - "get some sun" - "exercise". And, well, as it turns out, I've done just that. Last year when I started taking Adderall I suddenly started feeling a great deal of energy and motivation, so much so that I would feel bored simply sitting in front of my computer all day long. So I started going outside and walking for four hours every day. I lost a great deal of weight during that time. I went from weighing around 284 pounds in January 2015 down to about 160 pounds in September 2015.

It would seem that Adderall mitigates some of the vegetative symptoms of my depression. I realize that Adderall is a psychostimulant, but it seems to have proven somewhat more effective in treating my depression than the actual antidepressants that I used to take between the years of 2013 and 2014. Which is why I only find it baffling to think that the nurse practitioner wanted to prescribe me an antipsychotic (Abilify) while simultaneously prescribing me a psychostimulant (Adderall). And my psychiatrist wanted to stop prescribing me Adderall altogether, despite my psychologist's advice that Adderall has been greatly beneficial in treating part of my depression and my psychologist's observation that I do not have schizophrenia.

Green tea almost completely cured my generalized anxiety disorder. After a bit of research I found out l-theanine was the active component in tea that was helping me. I ordered some pure theanine powder and started adding 100-200mg to my tea and it's cured my anxieties 100%

His less wrong than most what?

Low functioning autism is far worse than schizophrenia and I say that as someone with high functioning autism.

>Low functioning autism is far worse than schizophrenia and I say that as someone with high functioning autism.

I'm fairly certain that I fit somewhere within the autism spectrum, which is part of the reason why I wanted to see a geneticist. But apparently geneticists don't do DNA tests on adult men such as myself, instead only see pregnant women and small children. I was kind of hoping that a geneticist could find chromosomal abnormalities suggesting autism, but whatever. Apparently I can't even get diagnosed with autism as an adult, it's generally something diagnosed during childhood. Autism would explain a lot about my childhood.

Then again, I've noticed a lot of similarities between the autism spectrum disorder and schizotypal personality disorder. I was pretty sure that my psychologist would diagnose me with a personality disorder (most likely schizotypal personality disorder) but he ended up telling me that what I had wasn't sufficient for me receive the diagnosis of a personality disorder. So now I'm stuck with the label "schizotypal personality style" which doesn't really seem to be a thing. It's not on the DSM and it doesn't have a Wikipedia article or anything. So it's pretty useless to me.

If it's true that schizotypal personality disorder is genetic, it would certainly explain why my family is so fucking weird. That's part of the reason why I decided to get that AncestryDNA test done on me. But that stuff only revealed stuff about my ancestry. They sent me over 16,000 pages of "raw data" which I'm finding difficult to interpret. I've also heard of something called "23andme" which doesn't sound much promising either.

Also, schizotypal personality disorder is understood to be within the "schizophrenia spectrum". And some people diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder could go on to develop schizophrenia later on in life. So, uh, maybe I shouldn't be taking Adderall after all...

If psychiatric conditions were real they'd be treated by neurologists. As it is, it's the opposite and psychiatrist diagnostic standards specify *ruling out* actual neurological problems.

>If psychiatric conditions were real they'd be treated by neurologists. As it is, it's the opposite and psychiatrist diagnostic standards specify *ruling out* actual neurological problems.

The funny thing is that I actually did go to see a neurologist back in 2013 who then told me (after a 15-minute-long conversation) that I seemed to have anxiety and a bit of depression, and so he prescribed me anti-convulsant medication for treating my essential tremors, and then referred me to my second psychiatrist (apparently these two guys were friends during their college days.) And that psychiatrist then prescribed me antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication (after yet another 15-minute-long conversation) which I took for eight months and only made me feel much worse than I already did. Shortly thereafter, my neurologist closed his office, retired, and then refused to answer any and all of both my phone calls and e-mails. This second psychiatrist told me to go find another psychiatrist.

Right, he treated your hand tremors because they were real and then sent you to a psychiatrist for all the bullshit mental "problems."

It's because of people like you that my brother believes in the illuminati and zombies and his connection with god.

Just because your brother is retarded doesn't mean he need to have his brain physically tampered with. You could just talk to him instead of trying to drug him into submission.

My brother's not retarded, he's lost his grasp on reality.
He has autism and schizophrenia. You can't talk to him, only speak words to him and he speaks some back.
He hears you but doesn't listen.

abilify ain't that bad op, but with the disorders you listed, you don't need it. it's an anti-psychotic, not a stimulant, benzo or anti-depressant.

Maybe his environment is retarded.
You certainly included.

>abilify ain't that bad op, but with the disorders you listed, you don't need it. it's an anti-psychotic, not a stimulant, benzo or anti-depressant.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Abilify is an antipsychotic. Adderall is a psychostimulant. This nurse practitioner guy wanted to prescribe me both drugs at the same time. Two drugs with completely opposite effects. How does that make any sense? It's ridiculous.

And then my psychiatrist wanted to completely stop prescribing me Adderall.

And all of this because I said that I wanted to be referred to a geneticist to have myself tested for any possibly genetically inheritable disorders and/or diseases (Alzheimer's disease, antisocial personality disorder, autism spectrum disorder, schizophrenia, etc.)

This nurse practitioner guy would even ask me questions like "do you believe to be receiving messages from people on your computer?" I was a bit confused by this question, and I responded with something like, "well, uh, yeah... since I play a lot of video games over the internet, I do communicate with people through these games with text messages and whatnot." This nurse practitioner then proceeded to put down on my MedRec that I believed my computer to have been "hacked" and that "there didn't seem to be any reasoning behind his logic." He also put symptoms of schizophrenia on my MedRec like: "illogical thinking" - "magical thinking" - "auditory hallucinations" - "flat affect" - "odd, peculiar, guarded".

But then my psychologist told me that I am definitely not schizophrenic and that I am too old to develop schizophrenia at this point.

>This nurse practitioner guy would even ask me questions like "do you believe to be receiving messages from people on your computer?" I was a bit confused by this question, and I responded with something like, "well, uh, yeah... since I play a lot of video games over the internet, I do communicate with people through these games with text messages and whatnot." This nurse practitioner then proceeded to put down on my MedRec that I believed my computer to have been "hacked" and that "there didn't seem to be any reasoning behind his logic."

get a new doctor, this one is so retarded it's funny. don't take abilify, you don't seem to need it.
i'm actually schizoaffective and i used to think i'd get messages all the time until they put me on anti-psychotics. abilify is great if you need it, but it can harm you if you don't.

but you kind of sound like you're addicted to adderall, which isn't great. try to do without it for a while. and get a new psychiatrist.

I didn't feel like responding to your response to my post above, so I'm going to use your own post as a response.

Look at this. Look at what you're seeing. Massive confirmation bias, disgusting incompetence. Just a broken mess. And for what? user, ask yourself, for what? Why are you interacting with this system? Why do you care? Why do you think you can know if you have any underlying hard mechanical problems with your brain when these quacks themselves aren't even able to unravel the mechanics behind certain disorders, and thus are forced to describe and diagnose them in a strictly high level, subjective, borderline arbitrary way? They don't know, user. and it doesn't matter.

Seriously, what are you even thinking? Ditch these fucks. Unravel your problems yourself. I recommend an allergy test to rule out chronically elevated histamine levels. Beyond that, stop drowning yourself in the feel good pseudo-happy haze of amphetamine, and its equally false utility, and chip away at what in your environment and psyche is leading to such dysfunction. After all you've said, I can;t imagine why you convince yourself to continue.

Abilify will harm you even if you do "need it".
;^)

probably, but it beats running through the city disoriented and half naked.

Matter of opinion I suppose.
It wasn't so long ago that I was wandering around rambling the most nonsense sense you'd ever hear, barely aware of where and what I was, hearing garbled gibberish coming out of people;'s mouths and seeing every thin wire-like structure pulsating like a vein. But I fixed my shit.

Whatevs man Mr. Man. Enjoy being abilified. :^)

>get a new doctor, this one is so retarded it's funny.

I wouldn't say that this guy is retarded. This nurse practitioner guy is only one provider out of the four (I think that there's about twenty providers at this practice) that I've met with at this practice. I've been going to these people since July 2013. They're all pretty weird. I've suspected for years that something odd has been going on with them.

Here's some of the theories that I've developed that might explain their unusual behavior:

So I'm left here by myself with my own theories. I've developed several theories, here's only a few of the ones that I have so far:

1. All of this is some sort of really extended, complex, and weird psychological experiment.

2. Sociological experiment maybe?

3. My psychiatrist and the co-workers of his practice are all really bored people and simply enjoying screwing with their patients' heads because they know that their patients can't do anything about it. This whole thing is a twisted prank.

4. My psychiatrist and the rest of the people of his practice are intentionally trying to get me to lose my temper, so that they could say that Adderall is making me aggressive so that they can get me off of it and put me on antipsychotics for the rest of my life.

5. My psychiatrist and the other providers are all just highly disorganized and incompetent.

Anyway, I already went to see a second psychiatrist back in 2013 (after I met with my first psychiatrist who prescribed me Adderall.) This second psychiatrist refused to prescribe me Adderall and instead prescribed me clonazepam and escitalopram for eight months.

I also tried looking for another psychiatrist earlier this year by going to an old clinic that I used to go to and speaking to one of the doctors, asking him if he could refer me to a psychiatrist. He told me that that clinic didn't have any psychiatrists and that they don't prescribe Adderall.

not him but you're bound to experience another episode. I was 18 when I was diagnosed bipolar with psychotic features and was put on mega doses of seroquel and lithium. I eventually weened myself off of the stuff and went four years perfectly healthy before I had another episode. ended up back on zyprexa and lithium. I only take the lithium now and have been okay ever since. Psychiatry is mostly bullshit i agree but if you ever end up in a psych ward it's generally not by accident.

Be careful friend.

>1. All of this is some sort of really extended, complex, and weird psychological experiment.
>2. Sociological experiment maybe?
>3. My psychiatrist and the co-workers of his practice are all really bored people and simply enjoying screwing with their patients' heads because they know that their patients can't do anything about it. This whole thing is a twisted prank.
>4. My psychiatrist and the rest of the people of his practice are intentionally trying to get me to lose my temper, so that they could say that Adderall is making me aggressive so that they can get me off of it and put me on antipsychotics for the rest of my life.

well, now you DO sound like you need abilify. those aren't theories, they're delusions. i would advice you not to overthink this shit. and don't take adderall

No, he doesn't. As long as he doesn't suffer from a delusional sense of certainty and his error control systems are properly developed and functionally intact, he's fine.

You're just a myopic faith driven degenerate. A "sheep", as they're called. You convince yourself you know more than you do.

and you're a sociopath that is trying to trick ill people into not taking their meds.

yes user yes seriously entertaining any of those as true is perfectly healthy and not indicative of prodromal schizophrenia no no not at all it's all perfectly rational.

You're mentally ill and suffering from paranoid delusions.

sure, but that's beside the point. go away with your ad hominem, sociopath.

its probably just their scamming you out of your money for their treatments for their nonscientific diagnoses.

Exactly right. Glad to see someone is on the same page.
;^)

>go away with your ad hominem
>, sociopath.
Lol. Okay.

Thanks. I'm largely incapable of meaningful connection with other people, but still craving attention.

This gradually makes it worse. :^)

>Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
Yes they are different conditions, but more likely "differential diagnosis"(if you told them about previous diagnosed mental conditions)

You can have multiple disorders, but to be completely honest you may have Munchausen Syndrome. You seem extremely preoccupied with your mental health problems and not their solutions. Not trying to be a jerk OP but you may have a medical attention seeking problem. You hit some of the marks. Multiple doctors, multiple diagnoses, believing you know more about the doctors, everyone around you telling you to stop taking medicine/seeing doctors
Im not saying your an extreme case, believe me you would know, but you may want to go at this with an open mind.
Munchausens is a hard pill to swallow, in fact if you tell any one who has the disorder they have it 9 times out of 10 they will say they dont. If you really feel you need help, you need to go see a Psychoanalyst and tell them your whole life story and he'll help you figure out why you may do some things, your ticks, your fears. And you need to keep the same Dr, no multiple doctors. They may not be getting your medical information from each other so each time you go in they have no previous mental health history to go on.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_seeking

If you come off those drugs you must do it slowly. It's called titration.

Get a doctor to help you. An example would be 1000 mg of Lithium.

Week 1 you take 900 mg each day. Week 2 you take 800 mg each. Week 3 is 700 mg each day.

If you're taking a mood stabilizer or antipsychotic then it's of the utmost importance to do it this way. Ritalin and other drugs can still have horrible side effects when stopped suddenly.

If you get can your doctor to prescribe a liquid form of your "medication" it is much easier to ween yourself in increments off the substance.

These are powerful pharmaceutical creations and it can take months to get yourself off of them but you need to do it the correct way otherwise you risk being put in a mental ward.

Look up the psychiatrist Dr. Peter Breggin if you want to know more.

>well, now you DO sound like you need abilify. those aren't theories, they're delusions. i would advice you not to overthink this shit. and don't take adderall

Oh come on, man! You don't know the whole story. It gets so, so, so very much weirder. You have no idea. So much weird shit has happened with these people. Seriously.

And besides, my psychologist wrote the following on my psychological evaluation report:

>There were no questions raised regarding his reality testing, no hallucinations reported, and no delusions noted either, failing to support a psychosis hypothesis (including all Schizophrenic disorders). His commonly paranoid disposition is deemed largely reality-based, informed by years of suffering from bullying victimization at school, exposure to domestic violence, and exposure to criminality in and around his home.

>and you're a sociopath that is trying to trick ill people into not taking their meds.

I have yet to actually be prescribed any antipsychotics, you know.

>Yes they are different conditions, but more likely "differential diagnosis"(if you told them about previous diagnosed mental conditions)

Three of those disorders (Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Social Anxiety Disorder) I was diagnosed with by a single psychologist. I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder by my psychiatrist.

>And you need to keep the same Dr, no multiple doctors. They may not be getting your medical information from each other so each time you go in they have no previous mental health history to go on.

I didn't end up with multiple doctors out of choice. I started off with one psychiatrist who couldn't help me with all my questions, so I ended up seeing a neurologist, who then referred me to a second psychiatrist, who then told me to go see a therapist and later told me to go find another psychiatrist, and my therapist told me to go see a psychiatrist for my questions, etc.

you did this. you are obviously a very bad person. you created this brother of your so. kindly fuck yourself and take some drugs yourself

I'd say that those disorders ARE real problems, however they are rarely physiological problems and usually shouldn't be treated with medicine.

>Look at this. Look at what you're seeing. Massive confirmation bias, disgusting incompetence. Just a broken mess. And for what? user, ask yourself, for what? Why are you interacting with this system? Why do you care? Why do you think you can know if you have any underlying hard mechanical problems with your brain when these quacks themselves aren't even able to unravel the mechanics behind certain disorders, and thus are forced to describe and diagnose them in a strictly high level, subjective, borderline arbitrary way?

Because I don't know what to do anymore. I'm a 27-year-old unemployed high school drop-out with no friends, no connections, no references, no experience, no real anything. I screw up everything that I try doing with my life. I can't do anything right. I couldn't do a simple mall cop job for one month back in 2011. I tried getting the "adult high school diploma" by taking some adult school classes last year, and I couldn't even do that. I don't think I can handle college. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Why I'm such a screw-up. Why my childhood was so shitty. Why I didn't have any friends. Why I don't have any friends now. My whole life people have told me that I'm "crazy", that "there's something seriously wrong" with me, that I "need to seek professional help". And now that I've done just that, I'm starting to see now that everyone else seems to know as much about the world as I do. Which is... nothing, really.

...but then again maybe it's my mental illness trying to convince me that I'm not crazy, that it's everybody else that's crazy.

>hurrdurr mental illness isn't real

>You seem extremely preoccupied with your mental health problems and not their solutions.

I'm just trying to figure out what I *really* have, for how long I've had it, and if I was born with it. I want to make absolutely sure that what I have been diagnosed with is confirmed to be "real" so that I can receive the right treatment. I want to find empirical evidence to prove once and for all to myself what I have. I want to find something with more scientific rigor than simply talking with doctors for a few minutes and them giving me medication. I want to know if I really do have major depressive disorder. I want to know if I really do have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I want to know if it's attention deficit disorder predominantly hyperactive or predominantly inattentive. I want to know if it's not ADHD, but narcolepsy instead. I want to know if I have major depressive disorder because of an underlying, undiagnosed personality disorder such as narcissistic personality disorder or schizotypal personality disorder. I want to make sure that people can't take the information that my psychologist, psychiatrists, and therapists have gathered and re-interpret as to mean that I have a far more dangerous disorder.

>believing you know more about the doctors

I don't necessarily believe myself to know more than them. I've just seen so many doctors these last few years that I've gotten sick at how they just kind of rush me along, like I'm on an assembly line. They shoot down almost everything that I say. And then when something doesn't go well, like when that antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication was making me feel like shit... I get told to not blame them or anybody else because it was ultimately my decision to make and nobody forced me into it. I'm sick of being influenced, pressured, and/or bullied into making rushed decisions that significantly affect my life.

>but you kind of sound like you're addicted to adderall, which isn't great. try to do without it for a while.

I can't help myself. Out of all the psychiatry-related medications I've taken these past few years, Adderall has been by far the most helpful in giving me a "push". I stopped taking Adderall for roughly two months near the end of last year due to lack of funds, and I just felt like complete and utter shit during that time. I could barely do anything. And my family didn't really seem to understand, or care. I refuse to go back to that. I refuse to go back to feeling that way. I refuse to go back to feeling the way that I did after I stopped taking those antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications back in mid-2014. I hated that awful feeling.

If I ever get permanently cut off from Adderall, that's it. I'm done. That's all I really have left in my life. It's the only reason I bother getting out of bed in the morning. Every few months I decide to take a "break" from Adderall for about a week or two. Maybe one or two days pass before I start craving it. I just keep thinking to myself during that time, "just take it. You know you want to. It's right there. This feeling will go away."

Asking for any sort of medial advice, especially mental health advice, from Veeky Forums is a bad decision.

>Asking for any sort of medial advice, especially mental health advice, from Veeky Forums is a bad decision.

I'm not really asking for any advice, though.

A few years ago (before I decided to seek mental health care) I remember reading this article:

foxnews.com/opinion/2013/01/08/are-raising-generation-deluded-narcissists.html

In it, the psychiatrist Dr. Keith Ablow wrote the following:

>Watch for an epidemic of depression and suicidality, not to mention homicidality, as the real self-loathing and hatred of others that lies beneath all this narcissism rises to the surface.

I remember in middle school, my classmates would ambush me, hold me down, steal my money, food, Pokemon cards, and pummel me in the face.

I remember once asking my older brother (he's 16 years older than me) why it is that people are so cruel to me. He first told me, "it's all in your head." A few seconds later he added, "it's because you're weak. People sense that you're weak."

I remember once asking my brother why it is that he must always loudly make jokes at my expense everywhere we go, and he said, "get over it. You're weak. You want people to think you're weak? Okay, you're weak. You're weak."

I remember once asking my brother if he knew what depression was, why it is that I was taking antidepressants, what they were supposed to be doing for me, what they were really doing to me, and why I had depression in the first place. He said, "hahaha. I don't care. Why should I care? Stop whining. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Who cares? Nobody cares. Suck it up. Tough it out. There are people a lot worse off than you. Be a man."

What I am seeing now is that to survive in this world, one needs to be like my brother. He's one of the most conniving, charismatic, malicious, narcissistic, hateful, and successful people I know.

I can never be like my brother. There is no place in this world for people like me. I am the perfect example of an organism's failure to adapt.

>and get a new psychiatrist.

And what good would that do? They're just going to prescribe me some more antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication which will make me feel like shit again. Just like that second psychiatrist did.

At least with my current psychiatrist it seems that he will continue prescribing Adderall... for now, anyway.

I would argue that a capitalistic society pretty much promotes this sort of behaviour (inb4 I am a Marxist)

>What do you guys think about psychiatry, psychology, and other mental health care-related fields?
It strikes me as very pseudo-scientific.
That doesn't mean they aren't helpful in certain circumstances, chiropractors and homeopaths can be helpful in certain ways despite being con-artists but i have a low view of the mental health field.
If it makes you feel better go for it but don't take their "you're sick at the very core and always will be"(they wouldn't be so uncouth as to say it like that but it is what they believe) spiel too seriously.

Are chiropractors so bad?

Whom should I see to improve my posture?

>I would argue that a capitalistic society pretty much promotes this sort of behaviour (inb4 I am a Marxist)

I think I agree with you, and I think that that "Venus Project" might help steer humanity in the right direction. But now that the Venus Project is so closely associated with the "Zeitgeist Movement" and 9/11 Truthers, it doesn't seem to be heading anywhere. And since the horrors of 20th century communism is still within the psyche of several people alive today, I sincerely doubt that capitalism is heading out anytime soon.

And being that I live within the city of Los Angeles, only a very short distance away from Hollywood Boulevard... where this obsessive popularity of the schadenfreude revolving celebrity gossip spurred on by things like TMZ rages on harder than ever, it would seem that we'll all be stuck on this world for a very, very, very long time. Not that I would consider myself "superior" to people who are interested in celebrity gossip. I mean, hey, if you think that Tom Cruise being a Scientologist is funny and you guys like making fun of all the things he says and does... go ahead. I'm not religious or anything, but I've tried to very closely follow the so-called "Golden Rule" in my life. I'm not going to pretend to be holier-than-thou or take the moral high ground, because I'm certainly not perfect, I'm only human.

Let me help you out here:

mental health is not about who you are, its about what you do:

>Major Depressive Disorder
Do you have any hobbies? do you hold on to a job? are you able to go to school successfully?
If yes, you don't have major depressive disorder

>Generalized Anxiety Disorder
>Social Anxiety Disorder
Do you find it extremely difficult to hold a conversation with people you dont know? Would you call it "terrifying"?
If no, you dont have GAD or SAD

>Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Do you feel like your life is completely out of your control? Do you continuously use drugs or alcohol to "clear your head" and feel better?
If no, you dont have ADHD

Humans are fallible, doctors are highly corrupt, the american healthcare system sucks. Get a second opinion.

>Are chiropractors so bad?
If they work for you i take the view that nothing else really matters.
>Whom should I see to improve my posture?
I'd see a physical therapist, they might have an approach that better suits your needs.

>Do you have any hobbies?

Not really. Does playing does mini-games on Lumosity for roughly an hour every morning to improve my "neuroplasticity" (which I've heard is all a big scam, but I've already paid for a permanent membership with them so it's done) count as a hobby? Or watching at least one video on Khan Academy each day?

>do you hold on to a job?

No. I've been essentially unemployed for over a decade.

>are you able to go to school successfully?

Nope. I dropped out of high school over ten years ago.

>Do you find it extremely difficult to hold a conversation with people you dont know?

Pretty much, yes. Extremely difficult. Even people with that I already know.

>Would you call it "terrifying"?

Very much so.

>Do you feel like your life is completely out of your control?

Definite yes.

>Do you continuously use drugs or alcohol to "clear your head" and feel better?

Does the Adderall XR that I've been prescribed for over three years and been taking 60 mg daily (highest recommended dosage) count?

>Get a second opinion.

Get a second opinion from who? Psychiatrists? Psychologists? Therapists? Neurologists? I've already seen all of these people. And they tell me that they can only help me unless I give them money first. And even when I do give them money, they just kind of rush me along with these short 20-minute-long sessions, talk over me, and ignore most of my questions. They give me the run-around and tell me to go see a different specialist for my questions.

>mental health is not about who you are, its about what you do

I only want to know what exactly I have, why I have it, and why I am the way I am. Could I see a geneticist who can take a DNA sample from me and look for a genetic predisposition and/or chromosomal abnormalities confirming and/or denying my diagnosis? Could a neurologist run MRI, PET, and CT scans on my brain for further confirmation? etc.

>You certainly included.

English isn't your first language, eh nigger?

I can relate except I've remained tenacious and reached a few milestones. However, my endurance and success has been diminishing these past couple of years.

On the bright side, our writing skills come out be more refined than most.

hate them nothing but liars and con artist's.
truth : the doc that made up add admitted to doing so on his death bead , said he just wanted to make parents happy. but realized how many children's lives he ruined.
don't trust doc's , I went off all there med and lost 100 lbs and just cause I don't eat subway I'm not getting recognition ? o wait.....
there trying to put us in box's , don't let em do it morty think for your self..

>morty

Major Depressive Disorder causes Schizophrenic like episodes that can last for years. that would be why shes making that suggestion.

>Major Depressive Disorder causes Schizophrenic like episodes that can last for years. that would be why shes making that suggestion.

My mother doesn't really understand what "Major Depressive Disorder" is. When I was first prescribed antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication back in 2013, she kept insisting and nagging me non-stop for days that I should start taking that medication. I told her that I needed to do more research and get more exams done because I was concerned about the medication's side-effects. She'd tell me, "if the doctor told you to take that medication, then you should take it!" and "all medications say that they have bad side-effects. They all say that they can kill you."

Which is weird because she was the one who for months kept telling me to not taking Adderall because of its side-effects, even though I was the one who initially told her that I wanted to wait before taking Adderall as I had read about it beforehand and was aware of its side-effects. She told me the same thing about Adderall at first (that all medications say that they have bad side-effects and that I should take it.) And when I told my second psychiatrist (not the one who prescribed me Adderall) that I wanted to wait before taking Adderall because I had read that it might trigger psychotic episodes in people genetically predisposed to developing schizophrenia, he shook his head and said, "no. That simply never happens." He later told me not to take Adderall as it could worsen my anxiety and essential tremors. My mother took this second psychiatrist's word for it, but not mine.

Nearly two years later, I started seeing a therapist (I saw her for six sessions back in the months of March and April of this year), and my mother would ask me things like: "how many more times are you going to keep seeing that therapist?" and "I think one time should be more than enough. With one hour you should be able to tell everything you wanted to say."

Elaborate.

>Look at this. Look at what you're seeing. Massive confirmation bias, disgusting incompetence. Just a broken mess. And for what? user, ask yourself, for what? Why are you interacting with this system?

You know, the funny thing is... I remember reading on the DSM-5 (Narcissistic Personality Disorder, page 671) the following:

>For example, an individual with this disorder may complain about a clumsy waiter's “rudeness” or “stupidity” or conclude a medical evaluation with a condescending evaluation of the physician.

So a part of me is thinking: "psychiatry is such fucking bullshit. The Scientologists are right about this."

Another part of me is thinking: "no! Don't think that way! It's the disorder making you think that way! How could you possibly agree with anything Scientologists have to say!? You're crazy!"

I find that my mind is constantly arguing back and forth with itself in this manner:

>What's the point of all this? Why am I doing this? I don't even remember where I was going with all of this. I don't even remember what the next step of my plan was. Was there even a next a step? Did I even think this far ahead? Who cares? Major Depressive Disorder? Generalized Anxiety Disorder? Social Anxiety Disorder? Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder? Schizotypal personality style? What does any of this really mean? Is any of it real? Does anybody really care? Maybe it really is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. After all, it's right there on the DSM-5, page 671... people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder could go on to develop Major Depressive Disorder. Maybe my brother was right all along when he told me that I was "weak". The psychologist told me that my brother sounds like he might a sociopath. Maybe he's right. Maybe the psychologist is just playing along with whatever I say. Maybe he doesn't really believe anything that I told him about my brother. Do I really need therapy? Do I really need any medication? I don't think I care.

If the neurologist didn't believe that I had any mental "problems", then why bother sending me to a psychiatrist at all?

He did tell me that my essential tremors were a symptom of my anxiety.

>well, now you DO sound like you need abilify. those aren't theories, they're delusions.

I am not 100% certain that any one of my theories is what is actually occurring. Hence why I call them "theories". I was under the impression that "delusions" are when people believe things with absolute certainty, despite evidence suggesting the contrary. I am willing to accept that any one of my theories is incorrect. However, evidence (that I've gathered these past three years) suggests that I may not be wrong.

People who think mental illness is a psychiatric sham are on par with creationists who think modern physics is a fabrication to discount Yahweh. They don't have the slightest understanding of what we're talking about, nor do they put in the effort to find out.

>People who think mental illness is a psychiatric sham are on par with creationists who think modern physics is a fabrication to discount Yahweh. They don't have the slightest understanding of what we're talking about, nor do they put in the effort to find out.

Alright, then. So mental illness isn't a psychiatric sham. So, then. What do you think about my diagnosis?

>Major Depressive Disorder
>Generalized Anxiety Disorder
>Social Anxiety Disorder
>Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Are these "real" disorders? Is there any empirical evidence to support that I have them? Could I see a geneticist and/or neurologist to find physical evidence to confirm that these are, in fact, real problems and not purely in my head?

What do you think about Major Depressive Disorder? Could it have been caused by Narcissistic Personality Disorder? I mean, it's right there on the DSM-5 (Narcissistic Personality Disorder, page 671):

>Sustained feelings of shame or humiliation and the attendant self-criticism may be associated with social withdrawal, depressed mood, and persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia) or major depressive disorder.

So then, if that turns out to be true in my case... then that must mean that I really am "weak"?

Of course, I've already been tested for personality disorders by a psychologist. The psychologist administered the following:

>Biopsychosocial History Questionnaire
>Client Problem Checklist
>Beck Depression Inventory – 2 (BDI-2)
>Short Depression Scale (SDS)
>Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI)
>Endler Multiaxial Anxiety Survey
>Social Anxiety Scales (EMAS-SAS)
>Shipley Institute of Living Scale
>Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory – 2 (MMPI-2)

And he told me that I apparently do not have any personality disorder. But then I wonder if he's lying, since, after all, mental health care professionals do sometimes diagnose their patients with personality disorders and not tell their patients about their diagnosis.

This is gonna sound pretty standard, but...
It's all about the neurochemistry working together with your mood. Because of your retarded braincells, you are left exposed to some strange reactions like anxiety and depressive disorders. Been through the whole thing, myself. Forget the diagnoses, just roll with that. Those things are for your health care providers to find a pattern and an effective therapy. Unlike many others, I would recommend you take the medicines perscribed and follow the advice and treatment plans of your psychiatrist. I believe mostly in psychiatry over psychology. Perhaps it is because I believe more in medicine than those theories that are so hard to figure out.
I've done psychotherapy and medication for years, and it really has worked wonders for me. But it takes work and compliance. None of the treatments work unless you both understand and respect each other.

There could be a case of personality disorders, but you have to keep in mind that everyone has traits that coincide with the mapping tools. Administer them to anyone, and they'll get diagnosed with at least two. Personality disorders are only disorders if the traits are so strong and thorough in you that it is a problem for you or your environment. And there is empirical evidence for the existence of these disorders as we have seen that some treatments work especially well in these or those classes or groups. It does take a professional to diagnose these. When taking these tests, your body language says as much about the results as the gradings.

You're stuck in limbo. You need to build, then iterate on over time, a framework of how the world, and yourself, works. This is why you keep pivoting back and forth in almost binary confusion, and are constantly fighting your own split mindedness. You don't have the means to make your own judgements and have a degree of trust in them, because you don't understand how the topics (elements of your knowledge and logical framework) interrelate and fit into the bigger picture. The greater whole.

That's your sole problem, when you lump all the low level stuff into one abstract container. I've been there, though in a somewhat different form. Ultimately, ask yourself, why would someone else be more fit to tell you, and "it", all really is? Are their answers, and the series of logical steps that generated them, truly valid? Is the whole deal even, fucking, meaningful, at all? Is it misframed?

These are answers you need to come to on your own. It cannot be given, it cannot be communicated, ultimately, it has to be realized. I could give you the most in depth and elaborate metacognitive explanation possible, and this still remains so. Same with any educated moron psychiatrist.

why are there so much people in this read against psychiatry? What's going on??

Either way OP if you don't like your psychiatrist just get a new one. You obviously don't trust them and this sort of thing is pretty personal. I like my current psychiatrist because she's pretty grounded I think. find someone that's not gonna keep you around just for money. Well easier said then done

Because psychiatry is garbage that produce sub-optimal outcomes and tends to at best waste people's time when they really need actual help, and at worst damages lives because it's a deluded arm of the pharmaceutical companies.

The model where people going through mental problems are treated as broken for life, needs to go. And it needs to stay gone. Anyone supporting the present system is a threat to this goal, and they're in the way. That's what spawns a lot of hostility. You can't work with delusional people (irony intended), you can only functionally nullify them and learn to quickly get them out of the way. Unfortunately I'm stupid myself and still try, because my misanthropy is built on care, and I've seen enough lives fucked up when I know there are better ways. I'm living proof there are better ways.

>You need to build, then iterate on over time, a framework of how the world, and yourself, works.

After 27 years of careful consideration, I have realized that there is no room for me in this world. I am holding society back. I am too weak to change.

I tried to change. I really did. I tried every year. I can't do anything right. I couldn't even get my high school diploma during my adult school classes last year. I confided in my teacher. I told him about my depression, my anxiety, my insecurities... and he took advantage of it all. I wrote about it in my essays. He took pleasure in my misery. He, his assistant, the rest of his students. They sense my weakness. They feed off of my misery. Schaudenfreude. That's how people in this world survive. I took my therapist's advice and tried to make a friend. I've tried to make many friends. I tried to make my teacher my friend. Multiple failed attempts. Every attempt has failed.

This world was not made for people like me. I must make an example out of myself for all the others that are like me to follow.

>There could be a case of personality disorders, but you have to keep in mind that everyone has traits that coincide with the mapping tools. Administer them to anyone, and they'll get diagnosed with at least two. Personality disorders are only disorders if the traits are so strong and thorough in you that it is a problem for you or your environment. And there is empirical evidence for the existence of these disorders as we have seen that some treatments work especially well in these or those classes or groups. It does take a professional to diagnose these. When taking these tests, your body language says as much about the results as the gradings.

I've been administered all of these mapping tools, and I have yet to be diagnosed with a personality disorder (despite what certain people in my life may believe.) Although I have yet to be diagnosed with a personality disorder, I have been diagnosed with four other disorders... one of those disorders is apparently considered a "mental disorder" (Major Depressive Disorder, apparently), and so I suppose that that officially makes me to be considered "mentally ill".

Regardless, none of this felt all that scientific. When I was taking the MMPI-2 for example, I kept thinking to myself: "how is this scientific? What is stopping someone like me from quickly pulling out their cell phone to take pictures of each and every page of the MMPI-2 to post online so that other people can review the questions and memorize them, so that they know how to answer?"

I remember when I was going through the questions, I pretty much already knew the "right way" to answer them. Since I've spent so much time these past few years reading about the various different mental and personality disorders and their symptoms... I knew how to respond to each and every question in a certain way to get that certain result that I wanted out of it. I knew the "right way" to behave around the psychologist before and after I took the MMPI-2.

I have two problems with the fields. Firstly the clause about mental illness needing to negatively impact your life. This to me is retarded since humans, as a social species, oftentimes shun others for being not like them. This is generally harmful to the persons life. But does this harm constitute an illness? Are the mental qualities that lead one to be very popular automatically discounted as illness? What a ridiculous metric. By this metric having red hair might well classify as an illness, or being a protestant in ~1600s France.
Second, the claim that people with mental illness have measurable deviations in their brains compared to the general population. The same could be said of republicans, or people who meditate, or plenty of other things that aren't at all indicative of improper functioning; this fact is then plainly insufficient to identify a mental illness.
Also as for the 'I was diagnosed with this and I've totally got it etc etc' line, are we to believe in astrology and horoscopes as well?
Anyhow yeah, basically I don't believe we have sufficiently accurate methods to delineate mental illness from mental health, and comparing people to the average is a poor measure for many reasons. Further, it seems very easy for humans to believe they or others are afflicted by conditions which simply don't exist. Curses, hypnotism, magic, demonic possession, etc. Can we be sure that this is not just another episode in our long history of this type of behavior?

>Curses, hypnotism, magic, demonic possession, etc. Can we be sure that this is not just another episode in our long history of this type of behavior?

The funny thing is that I remember my psychologist telling me, "the psychiatrists of today are like the alchemists of the Middle Ages. The alchemists believed that they could create gold from lead, which we now know is impossible. Psychiatrists believe in 'chemical imbalances'. There is no such thing as 'chemical imbalances'."

Similarly, my psychiatrist told me that for testing for personality disorders, there's the MMPI-2... and he said that the MMPI-2 "isn't very scientific." I think it's funny that he would say that the MMPI-2 isn't scientific, and yet this guy managed to diagnose me with ADHD and then prescribed me Adderall after a 15-minute-long conversation in which I could swear the guy was falling asleep.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, etc.

You look like a spam bot.

It seems like you want something to be wrong with you so that it will show up on the test; thus, give you some form of validation.

You should stop worrying.

>It seems like you want something to be wrong with you so that it will show up on the test; thus, give you some form of validation.

No. What I want to know is whether or not I was right all along.

I've had this one idea in my head for nearly two decades. But I'm not entirely certain that my idea is logical. And that is why I decided to seek mental health care. I needed somebody to either confirm or deny that my logic is flawed, possibly as a result of mental illness. What I'm getting is a lot of people telling me that there's not wrong with me. Everybody else just tells me to take medication for "chemical" problems that might not even be real.

What I'm seeing now that everybody else seems to know as much as I do.

I am left to trust only in my own judgment.

My judgment informs me that this world is not a pleasant place for people like me. When a person is diagnosed with a "disorder", it's like they're having a big label stamped on their forehead for everybody to see that states "WEAK" or "LAZY" or "CRAZY" or "STUPID" or "EVIL". And so, people take advantage of this. They see a person who is unfit for this world. They see a person who is deserving of all the hate and mockery. I finally understand now. That's the impression that I get.

There is no hope for people like me.

Oh it's this guy again.

Well now, that certainly explains everything that I've been thinking about these past two decades or so.

i used to be depressed, got prescribed esciloparotam which i used for about a year, got off it and 1 year later i feel better than ever

>i used to be depressed, got prescribed esciloparotam which i used for about a year, got off it and 1 year later i feel better than ever

Did you start feeling better when you were still taking it, or only after you stopped taking it?

And if the latter is the case, how long after you stopped taking it did you feel better?

i felt midly better after my first 5mg, then my therapist upped it to 10mg, and it was slightly better. after 6 months i was pretty much like i used to be, but the therapist said i shouldnt go off it yet, so i waited another 4 months and gradually reduced it. the first week after i stopped was a hell, though, but i feel pretty good now.