What e-reader do you have ?

I just bought a KOBO glo HD

Other urls found in this thread:

er.educause.edu/articles/2015/9/paper-or-tablet-reading-recall-and-comprehension
theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation
scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=jFJhbAMAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have physical books

Kindle Paperuwhitu

Sony Reader Touch PRS 600

- epub : great
- image pdf : takes ages to adjust zoom to every page, took years until I found a program to solve this
- lost years of highlighted notes (maybe because of using WinXP ?)
- slot for SD cards
- requites good lighting

loser

how closed is it? can you even read pirated stuff?

what program do you use to solve the pdf zoom program ?

pdflrfwin (converts pdf to LRF)
not sure if it does character recognition, but the result is great

Yes, it's easy. Just send the pirated book files to the kindle.

I thought the early Kindles prevented this

>pdflrfwin

thanks

I don't know about the earlier kindles, as i have only ever had a Paperwhite, but pirated files work fine.

i consider buying one, how the kobo react to pdf ?

well you have to use zoom, it's annoying

user talked a conversion program, pdflrfwin

.lrf is a sony thing, though

Kindle Paperwhite, it's great

S A M E
A
M
E

this

it's great

Nook Glowlight Plus so I can read in the tub

>SONY DPT-S1

Stole it from some girl I banged once.

It's large enough for a helicopter to dock on.

Plebeian.

Physical copies of books are the only choice for true patricians; and they must be leather-bound with gilt edges.

Not true, not now not ever

so you can jizz on it?

E-readers are physical

I just started reading Blood Meridian through my iphone.

Come at me.

Just the Kindle app on my iPad.

I like it because when I get to a really tedious passage, I can switch away and play a few rounds of fruit ninja or check neko astume cats then come back and finish.

>Stole it from some girl I banged once.

no
they just don't support that many formats out of the box
so you need to convert or download compatible files

...this happens automatically when transferring the pirated book in the kindle. that anti-piracy stuff is such a common misconception, it seems

I use a DX (well, two) and a Kindle 3, both still working great though the DX:s battery certainly has seen better days (it still withstands a lot of reading so whatever, good enough, it just dies in a few days if you use the 3G to sync too much)

Just use calibre

>tfw Kindle Keyboard 3G with no backlit screen

This should do the trick

Where does the do-hicky on the end go?

I have an old Nook version one and I still love it

Lol into a Gameboy. Thanks user, I haven't seen one of those in years.

>E-books
>Ever
It's not quite the same. The smell of paper, leather, the brief mental stimulation you get from turning pages and the texture, it's just something that e-books can't do.

There are real ones though.

I've always wanted one of these official ones for mine.

Protip on if you want to get a fuck ton of free ebooks from Amazon's kindle unlimited service.

1. use amazon account to start free trial of kindle unlimited
2. download kindle app for PC
3. go to any book you want and click "read for free", it puts in the kindle app and saves a copy on your PC
4. find the "my kindle content" folder (probably in "my documents"
5. download Calibre and get DRM remover plugin
6. put all of the AZW kindle files into Calibre, use DRM remover plugin to remove DRM
7. convert to epub or your preferred format
8.repeat with as many books as you want, don't forget to cancel your kindle unlimited subscription before a month passes

fuck this meme

I will take a physical book over an ereader any day, but ereaders are fucking convenient. As we do not live in an ideal world where I have easy access to all of the books I'd ever want to read in physical form, I choose the pragmatic option: using an ereader.

er.educause.edu/articles/2015/9/paper-or-tablet-reading-recall-and-comprehension

Any e-readers that emulate the shape and form of a book?

For example, having two screens bound on one edge.

I dislike those thick borders in particular. The less border, the better, and no borders would be best.

>tablet
I wonder if this affects it. Also, the stuff like "how this affects reading habits".

I mean, if it matters just because students will use search functions and are lazy because the same device does a million fun things, then it isn't the fault of the format.

>Baron asserted that 92 percent of students find it easier to concentrate while reading from paper compared to electronic texts.
Stuff like this is no wonder if you can move to twitter or clash of clans or tinder by tapping a button.

thanks user gonna try this out

Why not just torrent them than go through this hassle?

A lot of books that the Amazon store has literally can't be found anywhere else on the Internet at an equal or cheaper price let alone for free. I was looking for and still am for McDuff's translations of all of Dosto's works and I've tried several P2P programs on top of torrents and there's nothing but Amazon. They have a fucking monopoly it's bullshit

New books, esp academic ones take forever to get out there

Maybe some books are more easily available through amazon?

ereaders aren't for pdf. They all support them but none do particularly well.

idk most books are available elsewhere but are more expensive

I need to try this out, being a poorfag, it'd be great if I got certain books like this. Thanks user

fyi this kind of shit is bullshit. they use ipads at full brightness or kindle fires, which are normal tablets. ereaders are NOT tablets. they dont have lcd screens, they dont project light out from behind the screen and into your eyes. they dont have twitter or facebook. the whole point of ereaders is that their screens look like paper, they reflect light like paper, theyre textured like paper. reading on an ereader, an actual ereader, is no different than reading from a book

Kindle Oasis

the paperwhite is e-ink and has a backlight.

Basic kindle, last version.

It's alright and cheap, but I think it may fuck up some formats occasionaly and mistake some letters for others.

no ereader has back lighting. they all have LEDs on the sides, shining light ACROSS the screen

i bought the mot recent and cheapest kindle a few days ago. i use it because i need a dictionary accessible to me while i read books in other languages, and i got really sick of carrying shit around. definitely worth it so far. put a book on it and the reading experience is actually pretty nice, no eye strain.

why did you feel the need to say that? it's be like answering "how do you cook your rice?" with "I like potatoes"

the ebooks contain all the same words in the same order.

yeah that's the weakness of ereaders, for some reason (maybe technique) none are good with pdf, the thing is that tons of books and articles are only in this format, i really want an ereader that read all the format without problem but they cost way too much.

>tapping the smooth surface of the screen of an ereader
>not mentally stimulating

try again

the 9-10" size ones can be decent enough for some PDF (especially scanned novels etc, things which are only text)

I've read a bunch on my Kindle DX, it works ok because most PDF:s don't need to be zoomed in at that size

>Cars
>Ever
It's not quite the same. The smell of Horse shit, flies, the brief mental stimulation you get from cracking the whip and feeling the bumps in the road, it's just something that cars can't do.

Step it up grandpa.

Fuck your Honda civic I've a horse outside

Can someone explain the benefit of using calibre over just online conversion software? I often have to convert epub to mobi but I just search online for websites that do it.

Waterproof master race reporting in.

There are similar studies that have to do with e-readers and basically, it's not the same. You don't retain the same amount of information because you handle a digital version of a book different than you do a physical copy

You retain less information because of how you take it in. For one, you're more likely to retain information if you flip back and forth throughout a book and if you can physically see how far you are in a book, etc. Physical books are also more likely to contain commentary and prefaces that provide a historical context or scholarly analysis, etc. It's just a fact

I just use my phone, no need for that shit.

I've been using a Aura H2O for 2 years now - the external storage capability is what drew me to it. I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Calibre is just very convenient?

Other conversion tools probably work just fine, but I like using calibre to manage my library anyway. Also, it is very easy to mass transfer a lot of books.

Interesting, do you have a link to one of those?

>For one, you're more likely to retain information if you flip back and forth throughout a book and if you can physically see how far you are in a book, etc. Physical books are also more likely to contain commentary and prefaces that provide a historical context or scholarly analysis, etc.
These seem like weird reasons, though. Flip back and forth...what? Why would you do that or why would it be different from doing it by pressing a button? And that how far you are thing, hmm, maybe, though I've a hard time seeing the difference between looking at pages and thinking "oh I'm about 2/3 done" or just seeing a 66% percentage on a reader.
Most of the time the editions I have on my reader are identical to physical ones (the same commentaries and so on).

That said, I suppose its something everyone has to estimate for themselves. There's probably a lot to do with what you're used to and how you read, how good you are at focusing etc. Even if there are statistical differences between e-book users and physical book readers, it doesn't mean that either one is superior for any particular person.
I can, for example, imagine page turns helping at keeping your attention on the book if you are a bit bad at focusing.

But I have noticed none of that when it comes to my own reading, and I read both formats constantly.

theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation
>But instead, the performance was largely similar, except when it came to the timing of events in the story. "The Kindle readers performed significantly worse on the plot reconstruction measure, ie, when they were asked to place 14 events in the correct order."
Googled it. This... does not seem like a big difference.

Anyway, it is obvious when you think about it, many readers don't even show the percentage all the time, so obviously it'd be harder to recall what happened at 50 pages in for 100 pages etc.

>The Elizabeth George study included only two experienced Kindle users, and she is keen to replicate it using a greater proportion of Kindle regulars.
This is sort of problematic, too. Interesting anyway.

Maybe I should construct a little playful test for myself - it would not be hard to get 2 of some sort of reading comprehension tests and do one on papers, another on a Kindle.

I really like the screensize as well. Top tier device.

>The study, presented in Italy at a conference last month and set to be published as a paper, gave 50 readers the same short story by Elizabeth George to read. Half read the 28-page story on a Kindle, and half in a paperback, with readers then tested on aspects of the story including objects, characters and settings.

BS science by press-release, perpetuated by clueless journalists, is the worst

Her CV still doesn't have the paper so I guess it was rejected: scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=jFJhbAMAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate

>But instead, the performance was largely similar, except when it came to the timing of events in the story.
So everything was fine except for one of the things measured, sounds like a statistical fishing trip with no correction for false discovery rate.

PW 1
haven't seen the need to upgrade so far 2bh but I was thinking about getting the Glo because it supposedly handles .pdf better and I'm getting lots of shit to read for uni, and all of it is .pdf

I have a Sony PRS-600.

I love the note taking ability with the stylus, but hate the screen very much because it requires special attention to lighting. If the Nook or Kobo ever implemented the note system of the PRS-600, I'd switch. But thus far, the note taking ability outweighs the crisp displays/back light.

just use .mobi files