Lovecraft

where do i start with this guy

I heard he was redpilled as fuck, so I'm monitoring this thread for suggestions of what to read on this based ass motherfucker

With the greeks.

His essay on fear

Dagon, The Outsider, The Rats in the Walls, The Call of Cthulhu.
Then pick whatever story title sounds good to you. The content, scope and quality of his stories vary quite a bit, most are between good and great IMO but you might be reading about extra-dimensional alien gods one moment and some guys turning into frogs the next.
Don't read Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At the Mountains of Madness, Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Shadow out of Time too early.
The Street is the single shittiest story he wrote, you can just skip it. You also won't lose much by not reading Red Hook.

He was, but it was /pol/ tier redpill only during the 1910's. The views he develops towards the end of his life are really where it's at, and contrary to the turbo right winger image his xenophobic reputation might lead people to conjure up, at that point he had adopted pretty sound views overall (aside from still clinging to racism, but he probably would have abandoned that if he lived longer as well).
The evolution of his life and thought is very interesting and we know a lot about it because he wrote so many letters to so many people, and was always honest. It's a bit long but definitely read the biography 'I Am Providence' to really appreciate the man and not fall for the "autistic basement dweller poltard" memes.

Fun fact: Lovecraft actually did start with he Greeks

Link? Lurking Fear?

With the Arabs actually, and he was a Romeboo much more than a Greekboo.

I think he means Supernatural Horror in Literature

>Whatcha thinka the NEW PLANET? HOT STUFF!!! It is probably Yuggoth.
t. hpl when he heard about the discovery of pluto

Good post. Need more anons like you on the board.

you don't.

that shitty south park episode aired 6 years ago, time to let this meme die.

>me
>watching southpark

What does this post even say?
That a mainstream show parodying something means that the object of parody is shit? Or that the Cthulhu Mythos becoming very superficially mainstream means that everything about it must be bad?

Lovecraft is fantastic. Most of his stories are gold. Even though he hated his writing. Fun to read, However for some reason, Listening to his stories are unreal.

wow... I am so sorry for the sentence structure of that post. Drunk haha

>The views he develops towards the end of his life are really where it's at, and contrary to the turbo right winger image his xenophobic reputation might lead people to conjure up, at that point he had adopted pretty sound views overall

t. Joshi

>aside from still clinging to racism, but he probably would have abandoned that if he lived longer as well

Yeah, I don't think so. He was pretty racist even for his time.

We all forgive you

At one point, yes. Later on, not so much. Joshi points out that Lovecraft adapted his views of the world to the latest advances in the sciences; even came to terms with relativity which he had a hard time accepting for a few years. There was however one scientific area in which he never updated his views (never even read the recent material IIRC), which was anthropology, and so kept believing in an innate inferiority of blacks despite what scientific studies said (it should also be noted that in his mind the status of groups other than blacks had ascended considerably by that time). There's thus no real reason to suppose that he wouldn't ultimately change his stance on them as well.
Not to downplay the fact that he was pretty racist, but the issue has been blown out of proportion as if his life revolved around it, and that wasn't the case.

Nah, I myself always agreed with a great deal of it. If nothing else his criticism of democracy as basically a farce is perfectly valid and accurate (especially when he stops putting monarchy as the alternative), his attacks on capitalism are what any person whose view of life doesn't turn around shekel accumulation would make, and his predictions concerning where the marriage of mock democracy + capitalism would take the world have sadly come true, and with remarkable accuracy.

Dunwich Horror is one of his most accessible.

You start with Hodgson instead of Plebcraft

Hodgson has great imagination but there's a valid reason why he hasn't become the big guy. Definitely worth reading though.

Don't read Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At the Mountains of Madness, Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Shadow out of Time too early.
You literally wrote the order I started with and I really love lovecraft. What I wouldn't recommend is starting with cthulhu, it requires a bit more background.

Cthulhu's a pretty good introduction to the Mythos, if nothing else.
Kinda disagree with whatever user was bashing Red Hook earlier on. Sure The Street is trash, but Red Hook is the most descriptive of Lovecraft's next-door variety of cosmic horror like The Thing on the Doorstep.

Pic related.

The hardcover is cheap and looks cool as fuck.

Most typos of any "definitive edition," shitty gimp "leather" and pages thinner than a phonebook. Just use the Delphi ebook.

That was me. To be more fair to Red Hook it's not THAT bad. I did feel it was better than its reputation implied. But with regards to content and imagination ranks pretty low IMO. If the user comes to enjoy HPL's work he'll read it eventually anyway.
The Street is just apex kek though.

Reading in that order won't make anyone dislike Lovecraft or anything (on the contrary), but I believe that not blazing through the longer works and reading them every now and then after a few short stories will be more rewarding.

I think the final scenes where they describe the underworld under New York more than compensated for the cliched "swarthy Dagos practicing their degenerate rites etc etc." That imagery stuck with me, and the last paragraphs with the traumatised policeman is the most human Lovecraft gets outside of his dream stories.

I don't know what he was thinking with the street though. Dedicate a career to uncaring eldritch horror and then cap it off with a story about housed that hate them niggers.

To be fair to him as well, The Street is from the early phase of his career, at that time he hadn't matured as a person yet (neither had his fiction). Probably something about gommies and changing streets really bothered him at that time and he felt compelled to write it. I think later on he also considered it as one of his worst.

There's a website that has his completed works in ereader files. Google it, download it, and start at the beginning.