Who /dumb/ here

Who /dumb/ here

>only got 33 on act, 31 on the math part
>not smart enough for MIT
>have to study hard for easy intro classes like intro to c++, gen chem and calc 2
>iq probably only around 115 or something like that

Other urls found in this thread:

terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/work-hard/
math.berkeley.edu/~ehallman/math1B/IntByParts.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Serious question, why do you care?

What do you gain by filling a mold you do not consider yourself apt for? There are no doubt a thousand other things you could do with your life.

The thing I'm the best at doing is school m8, can't really do anything else

That's exactly what I thought before going into trades.
Being a brainlet doesn't mean you can't have a good life, famiglietti.

Sure you can, you have simply convinced yourself you cannot.

You likely lack exposure.

>this whole post

This. Why do you care so much about academia?

>For personal satisfaction and feeling accomplished.
So learning things feels good. Why does that have to be limited to theoretical maths or chemistry and shit? You know what feels REALLY good? Knowing fuck all about welding, learning about it, laying a few beads, and then welding something with your newly learned skill. That moment you step back and sigh in satisfaction. YOU made that. YOU didn't know the difference between stick and MIG a month ago, and now YOU have created a tangible something and learned every step of the way.

>For the approval of family/friends.
Who's more highly respected: an autist who can do Fourier transforms in his head, or a guy who built his own cabinets and can fix his own lawnmower goddamnit Chuck clean the carb for the third time you troglodyte swine?

>For money.
Maybe if you do exceptionally well in a STEM and happen to live in a booming area you could pull $65k out of school. After spending 4 years accruing $30k+ in high-interest debt. Meanwhile you could have done trade school for 1 year, made $45k the next and an additional $5k every year after.

I'm in the middle of Calc 2 right now and I'm beginning to think I'm retarded.
I did all of Calc 1 in a 7 week course and got a 98% but Calc 2 is fucking my shit up.
I'm also willing to blame it on my teacher though because her "lectures" are her working out simple example problems but also skipping 9 steps because she does them in her head and "you should just know this"

I wouldn't sweat it. Calculus II at my university is also more challenging than either calculus I or calculus III. This is because most new admits take AP Calculus AB and BC before arriving, while only a minority actually have to take the entire sequence from calculus I. This translates in the math department administration not really having enough data to go on to adjust course difficulty, resulting in a calculus II class that defaults to the level of rigor as most upper-level mathematics classes.

>resulting in a calculus II class that defaults to the level of rigor as most upper-level mathematics classes
You sound like the DSP of math.

tfw don't know if you're actually a brainlet and your classes are watered down or if you're just smart

>>have to study hard for easy intro classes like intro to c++, gen chem and calc 2

Don't fall for the Veeky Forums meme. If you can't understand that concepts with a first looking, it doesn't mean that you are a retard. You have to study like every fucking student.

Cal II is the hardest calc class.

nah, algebra/trig is the hardest calc class.

>1st exam for calc II
>8 questions
>2 hours
>didn't even finish half of em
I took BC in high school and holy fuck college calc 2 is way harder

You will be okay. Just keep studying hard, and it will be great! Even geniuses have to work hard!

Here's the Almighty Terence Tao (PBUH) speaking to this.
terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/work-hard/

Go to office hours. Really! Professors want to help you. They feed off of your learning.
Is there a particular kind of problem you're having trouble with? Post about it -- a bunch of people on here would also be happy to help.

>tfw 36 on act
>only 3.3gpa
>go to mediocre state school
>at least here i'm a genius compared to my peers
>get RA spot as undergrad
>get master's funded

feels better than expected

She doesn't really have office hours, she's enormously overweight and doesnt leave her mobility scooter ever. I assume she has a legitimate disability of some kind just as benefit of the doubt, but who knows.

We're covering integration by parts right now and I understand the fundamental concept of
integral(u*dv) = u * v - integral(v*du)
But it's actually separating the shit out
Like if I'm give x^2 * cos(x) I can do that pretty easily, and that's the examples both the book and she lecture on

And then in the homework I'm presented with (ln(x))^2 which we've never covered doing the integral of natural log
Or (21xe^(-3x))/(1+2x)^2 dx
Like I don't even know where to fucking start with that
Also I don't know latex

It's possible to get smart by studying hard. Calc 2 was really hard for me but my undergrad rudin course was easy because I was better at math by that point

>one chance at life
>born a 6'1 manlet with a tiny 6.8 inch dick and a shitty iq of 125

someone end it

>not smart enough for MIT
You don't need to be smart to be on the MIT, you just need a shit ton of money.

>tfw to intelligent to have friends

>tfw online test told me I have an IQ of 138

I might as well kill myself now, how can brainlets even come close to the level of Veeky Forumsposters?

I feel it OP. I wanna join the pitty party.

I'm really ditzy. Learned to write in grade 10. Apparently my iq tested 80 in grade 3, when I was 6 or 7, which swiftly entered me into retard programs. Who knows now.

I failed a Canadian grade 11 kinematics test yesterday at the age of 21. Been practicing quadratic equations for a good 6 months with not much luck.

Thing is, I'm told that I was lied to about my IQ. My mom's at 115, and apparently I'm dramatically higher. it upset her while I was growing up, so she restricted access to information (no internet, TV, books, going out, constant distractions and put downs while doing homework), while lashing out at me for being an idiot. By constant, I mean multiple daily targeted 15 minute sessions of being screamed at in a corner.

Through pure coincidence, I have no friends with an iq lower than 125. My girlfriend and best friend in highschool had an IQ of 140+, and they both regarded me as the smartest person they know, and still come for me for a lot of things. Only learned this in the last year, when my friends started maturing and opening up in meaningful ways. All of it was completely unsolicited and very unexpected. But I understand the dun-krug effect. They might see my ignorance as intelligence.

But even with that, having been told I'm retarded so often has had severe effects on my willingness to do anything with my life. My only honed skills now are lying and knowing when I'm being manipulated. I've turned out weird, but at least I'm not disliked at work.

Can anyone relate? How do I go about fixing this stunting, other than looking forward and trying my best? Am I actually stunted? I have no internal organization or discipline other than my time-consuming hobbies. Right now I'm trying to get my hands on some welbutrine so I can ignore the past. Weed doesn't help.

Where should I go for help? What should I do with my 12 and 16 year old siblings, other than try to be a figure they can look to for help?

Kill yourself

math.berkeley.edu/~ehallman/math1B/IntByParts.pdf
Remember the LIATE rule m8. There's some other tidbits in this link to use when that rule fails.

Don't sweat it OP, I barely passed Calc II by 1% (granted I didn't study much, which I regret), and the later classes are much easier. It's just the sudden jump in difficulty that catches people off-guard.

100% disagree
vector calc was over the top for me and I aced calc II. probably just depends on teachers

Sounds like your mother's abuse fucked you up good. Try going to a therapist, or opening up about it to your friends.

>What should I do with my 12 and 16 year old siblings
Don't scream at them calling them retards, then you're already off to a good start. Just be friendly and helpful to them as much as you can. Also respect their privacy, teens tend to get very uppity about that sort of thing.

**too
:^)

Does this make sense?

>Sounds like your mother's abuse fucked you up good.

Was asking for life advice on a pseudointellectual portion of an anime image board what gave it away lol???!?

I already know the answers to what I asked. I ruminate too much is my only problem now.

>>What should I do with my 12 and 16 year old siblings
>Everything u sayd
My mother's toned down since she's seen what I've become lol. I make sure they have a direct contact with me, and check in with them. The abuse is mental, so I cannot do much for them but that.
And I encourage them as much as i can. They're both already better than me at quadratics oops

Considered it once but then I took a 60 minute nap and now I'm better lol

But all in all I feel that everything always rebounds given time. I'm responsible. It's whatever.

Anyway that's enough thinking about this for now. Just thought I'd share in a /dumb/ thread because it makes me feel objectively dumb through lack of opportunity, or at least that's what I tell myself.

Saging cause this thread was made to stroke egos.