Veeky Forums for kids

Probably not the best place to ask, but what book started you on your reading career?

I have 1 yr old nephew and I want to encourage him to read a lot as a kid, because I feel like doing so made me hella smart yo.

What was the first book you read on your own?
The first one you read over and over?

I'll probably make it a tradition to get him a book every time I see him--one that meant something to me or something like that.

Non-book Veeky Forums gift ideas are also welcome, like neato bookcases or somesuch

Personally, pic related was the first book I remember reading on my own, along with The Big Friendly Giant

1984 was probably the first book that I read on my own and actually enjoyed.

let his first experience with literature be finnegan's wake, and let him work backwards until, at 80 years old, he finally gets what dr suess said when he talks about "green eggs and ham"

definitely one i will get him later on down the road. would orefer to get them in order of age appropriateness, so he can read each, if not immediately then within a year or two

dude leave him alone lets his parents raise him

youre gay. like for real

Have your own kid dude

muted

What?

So stupid

A series of unfortunate events is a book series I wish I could recommend. All thirteen books are packed with young readers, inventors, and biters, as well as cheery neighbors, herpatologists, windows, coconut cake, and intrigue. The book does a very good job of applying large words and defining them, making it an excellent tool as a passive vocabulary builder. But sadly all these wonderful things can't make up for the dreadful accounts told within the bindings, including orphans, murderous leeches, unsafe mills, trackfields, overstocked convenience stores, and bad actors. You or anyone you know would be lucky to steer clear of the books and never look back. But if you do manage to will yourself into picking up a copy then fortify your composure and kiss your mother, you'll be diving into one of a series...of unfortunate events.

>'s

Daniel Handler pls go

Dude don't waste your time on this guy. He's trying to brainwash some kid, trying to make him a clone of himself. People like thsi need to have their own children.

L-Lemony, you are here?

Hegel

Shithead

why is OP getting so much abuse?

He's doing a shitty thing. He's trying to take over the role of the parent foursome kid that already has two parents . That's a shitty thing to do

>That's a shitty thing to do
Why?

Is your uncle not allowed to buy you a book for your birthday? holy shit

OP wants to buy the kid a book EVERYTIME he fucking sees him

Sounds like a creepy uncle to me

Let the parents decide what books the kid reads

Definitely crossing a line if you ask me

Did you grow up with a family wtf man?

chill the fuck out dude
OP probably doesn't see his nephew much

I grew up with a normal family thank you very much. Let the kids parents decide how they want to raise the kid. I just think OP is being a little too presumptuous with how much he's willing to effect this kids development

You don't know that. I'm pretty calm. Just trying to make op listen to reason

just kys mahdude

its all 1 wizard with nothing better to do. doesn't bother me

Why?

Wizard?

>What was the first book you read on your own?
Not sure, maybe Goodnight, Moon.

>The first one you read over and over?
Pic related.

I read a lot kids' books when I was really young. Animorphs, Goosebumps, The Boxcar Children, Hardy Boys, Louis Sachar's books, a lot of Matt Christopher books (kids' books about different sports), etc. Started reading Great Illustrated Classics when I was probably 8 or so. First one was The Last of the Mohicans, fucking hated it. Next was Oliver Twist, absolutely loved it. Kept reading those, I distinctly remember Moby-Dick, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Count of Monte Cristo, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, David Copperfield. Kind of took a hiatus from reading between about 11 and 14 as I was spending time trying to fit in with the "cool" kids, got back into reading with Lord of the Flies when it was assigned freshman year. After a few more classics like Great Expectations, To Kill a Mockingbird and so on, I branched out from the school curriculum with works like A Clockwork Orange, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Running with Scissors.

Dude please don't contribute to this thread

I really don't give a shit what you think. Considering the works I've now read at this point in my life and what I'm currently reading, I feel comfortable saying my path was a good one.

You're an imbecile forreal just give up

can you even imagine having so little going on in your life that you turn into this guy?

sad, really

What are you talking about man

I was always into literature growing up myself, I taught myself how to read some children's book when I was three or four years old to the surprise of my mother. It actually got to the point where the kindergarten teacher thought I was a troublemaker because I wouldn't pay attention in class and my ma had to drill it into her skull that I already knew the material and was just bored (Florida public school, everyone.)

But I digress. I mean I grew up with the traditional YA novel series like Animorphs, Goosebumps, etc, but that was interspersed with whatever I could find in the school library. This went from like...that Ramona Quimby series to stuff like A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle, Harry Potter, and anything that caught my eye.

One other thing that helped me was when my ma and my stepdad got married and moved in together. He was a bit of a geek so he had a whole closet full of old Edgar Rice Burroughs pulps, the first trilogy in Terry Brook's Shannara series, Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, and a bunch of other stuff. I must have devoured everything in that damn closet.

Guess what I'm saying is, start by appealing to his tastes and then expand from there. Remember, you're competing with fucking Netflix and tablets and all that; if you try to force it or come off as a dorky uncle or something it might put him off.

>wrinkle in time
good one, that'll go on the list

Dude go do something else your wasting your time

Yea man, I could never find the whole series so I ended up re-reading like the first two books at the library every so often. I swear it's where Star Wars got the idea for fucking midichlorians or whatever because of the focus on mitochondria in the second (third?) book causing powers to manifest in people. I really should go back and check them out once I finish reading more challenging fare just for the hell of it.

Shut up

lol this one faggot trying to shitpost and nobody is going along with him. honestly it's making my day

How am I shitposting

Stop idiot

Thanks food bumping my thread. I got some good ideas here. Nowe go jerk off into your piss jar you Sperging. Your troll ha been unsuccessful and I retire directly

Idiot stupid

>1 year old
soft and crinkly books and thick card board books of shapes and things.
get winnie-the-pooh for the parents to read to him so they don't hate you for making them learn shitty stories by heart.

This one user! It's beautiful.

Where my munschlords at?

And this one! Get the squishy kind.

Le petit Nicholas. I enjoyed reading when I was small, but everytime I grew up, I understood more about it. Its like those Disney films filled with innuendos and lines only adults could understand.
I don't know about the translation tho, I read it in French and it was written as if the narrator is 9 yo.

Also, as said, the last of the Mohicans is not for children, I hated it so much that I still can't get myself to read it.

where did i come from?

This was the first 'long' novel I read by myself at 6 or 7. I enjoyed it a lot, I was a big rabbit fan.

Sideways Stories from Wayside School was good. They're funny and shit.

I think I "read" that in HS French class, aka stared at my partner's tits while she struggled to understand literally every word

i'm talking about your pea brain

Reading this book as a child is why I later considered myself a communist throughout middle school.

lewd

Jennie by Paul Gallico was the first novel I ever read by myself.

I was almost completely illiterate in spite of all my teacher's efforts until I was 9 for some reason, but by 12 I was scoring the same as someone leaving high school for reading comprehension.

After Jennie, it was Watership Down.

That is the exact copy I used to have. I'd read it and reread it so many times that it was coming to pieces and I was repairing every other page with tape.