I’m not going to overrate Nabokov: my admiration for him peaked at 18 and has steadily receded ever since...

>I’m not going to overrate Nabokov: my admiration for him peaked at 18 and has steadily receded ever since. At the moment, I think of him as a highbrow, Eurotrash version of Ayn Rand. Most of his books (aside from Lolita) are a 50-50 cross between The Fountainhead and Finnegans Wake. There’s always a sensitive, intelligent libertarian protagonist fighting an evil mob of looters and straw-man communists. We know he’s sensitive and intelligent because he makes lots of observations and puns involving butterflies, which, like nymphets, are invisible to looters. The looters torment him until he becomes a martyr for libertarianism. Bend Sinister, Pale Fire, and Invitation to a Beheading all have the same hackneyed plot with prose soaked in Tyrian purple.

Is he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

exiledonline.com/how-christopher-hitchens-robbed-hunter-s-thompsons-grave/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pale Fire. Dude ain't no libertarian.

>finnegans wake
>purple prose
wew

>Bend Sinister, Pale Fire, and Invitation to a Beheading all have the same hackneyed plot
Are you the retard who wrote this and who are you trying to attribute it to? I can't imagine someone would put their name on it.

>muh plot

google fucker

>Glazov
>Relevant

I google imaged this fag, apparently he's from West Australia?

Sounds like he's just butthurt Nabokov doesn't share his partisan "it's literally 2016" politics, even though Nabokov's not a political writer, he's just perceptive of the philistinism in leftist sects in a few scenes and lo and behold he proves his point. Any offense in the slightest riles them up. These idiots can't sublimate their contrived politics and experience art unselfconsciously for an instant.

He even called him "a highbrow Eurotrash version of Ayn Rand", even though Ayn Rand is a Russian emigré not far from where Nabokov's from. Never mind that oppression from a communist regime is what drove them out in the first place and that may have been a formative experience! Being driven from your ancestral home! Nah - no other reason except he's libertarian sperg.

Plus he's a pleb for thinking, good as Nabokov's prose is, it's anywhere near as complicated as Finnegans Wake.

I hope this ugly faggot gets invited to a beheaded.

>nabokov family
>opressed

If commies come and with their levelling mechanisms take everything you have - yes, you're oppressed. Even if you're fucking Tsar Nicholas II.

He had to leave Russia to avoid that Doctor Zhivago shit.

>Even if you're fucking Tsar Nicholas II.
kekekekekekekek

How can one be this contrarian when discussing the biggest contrarian on the planet

>I google imaged this fag, apparently he's from West Australia?

you literally went on an internet manhunt for this faggot and then posted an angry wall of text to vent about him after? lol this cunt triggered the fuck out of you m8

>apathy is cool!

>google image
>internet manhunt
user you do know there's a built-in feature for google image on Veeky Forums right

Nabokov was a greater writer who never took the time to be a merely good one, an instinctive master, we may even say genius, of prosody, who never had to sweat out the youthful sentimentalism whose working through, like some kind of elbow-grease, gives the gem of the crown of fiction its luster, which brings the most finely crafted prose to light and to life.

>i need to convince myself that i am doing anything other than shitposting away on Veeky Forums

kek

i guess there is a built-in feature to make angry walls of text for you too.

it seemed that OP inferred that I was supposed to know who he is, so yeah I google imaged him and looked at two of his tweets.

exiledonline.com/how-christopher-hitchens-robbed-hunter-s-thompsons-grave/

>Invitation to a Beheading
>libertarianism
Holy shit, what a faggot

This is a perfect example of the folly of democratizing higher education. That person should have never been allowed to go to university. He should be drinking cheap alcohol and farming until his liver gives out. That is the most useful he could ever be, but instead he is creating an unpleasant word salad full of liberal academic terms he does not understand.

> Finnegans Wake
> Fountainhead

Is this guy just throwing out the names of the only other two books he's tried to read from the same half-century?

Idk, Nabokov isn't perfect, but his criticisms seem like barely coherent ramblings to me.

I can actually feel my testosterone levels lowering just from looking at this man.

/thread

Eurotrash is Nabokov in a nutshell, insane prosecution fantasies, raunchy paragraphs and trashy characters, those "clever" little anagrams and so on.

Argh I just puked.

>muh poor oppressed capitalists and kings

No but you are right about liberal plebs being unable to read without being triggered by even small political differences. Instead of trying to legitemately understand another view or at the least ignoring it and focusing on literary content they actually becoming self righteous about long dead nonpolitical writers.

This post have me a genuine laugh.

Also I agree