Reading List

For the plebs who are really interested in philosophy and want to read and study it for fun,not to be forced

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

needs more Camus.

>I wanna study philosophy
>I'll just study existentialism

>Disregards anything before Descartes
>Includes 6 Camus books

Is this the worst 'what to read' chart yet?

>what book recommendations should I give to a beginner who wants to study philosophy?

>Oh I know, a bunch of Heidegger (surely Heidegger is a great starting point!) then a bunch of novels by Camus and Dostoevsky, surely a person who does not formally understand philosophy yet can tease apart the philosophical undertones to these writers! Surely people looking to begin their study of philosophy will benefit most if they read Heidegger with no foundation and then a bunch of novels. Clearly, a thorough study of philosophy should skip all of the classical western canon up through the renaissance and enlightenment, clearly those thousands of years of thought are just a boring waste to a person trying to learn philosophy! What they need, obviously, is to study novels and a few modernists. Yes. Yes indeed.

I liked it.

>Is this the worst 'what to read' chart yet?

It's up there for sure.

You should seriously add this to your list

>Husserl without Descartes

noice

This picture makes me feel a bit sad, actually.

>no Steiner's introduction to Heidegger
>P&V Dostoyevsky
>Sartre instead of Gabriel Marcel
>Foucault
:(

Can anyone rec a better reading list for someone interested in getting into philosophy?

good ol' pluto

Search the wiki for a "Starting with the Greeks" chart. It's the only right way to start philosophy, even if it's a meme because of that.

should I read the complete works of plato and aristotle right of, or is it better to just read The Republic, Nicomachean Ethics, and a few other of the "most important" works, and then expand from there?

Read the main discourses of Plato and then go to Aristotle. But before that you should probably read The Illiad and The Odyssey.

don't listen to any "read every single work of philosophy in one massive chronological list" memers

read a history of philosophy like Magee's Story of Philosophy

then read like a general book on philosophy like Think by Blackburn

then read Plato (at least Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo, Meno, Symposium, Republic - read any others that catch your interest though), Aristotle (read his "main" works, The Organon, Physics, Metaphysics, Ethics, Politics, Poetics, Rhetoric), Descartes (Meditations), Hume (Enquiry), Kant (Proleleleleogogomena).

You can fill in the gaps a bit if ya like (if you really enjoyed Plato then check out Plotinus), or just read them then go off in different directions. To "get into" philosophy you don't need to read every work in existence; if somebody tells you that then they are a parrot of false-judgement. Read some contemporary works as well, and don't shy away from secondary works out of some weird elitism.

Also, don't be afraid to use this for help: plato.stanford.edu/.

beauty

No that's silly. Sure, there's a few witty references by Socrates, but in no way do you need to read them to understand P or A's philosophy. Not saying he shouldn't read them (he should) but they aren't necessary.

How much do you want to be reading? I'd suggest starting with a contextual piece, such as 'History of Western Philosophy' or 'Sophie's World', then move onto 'The Trial of Socrates', 'Republic' and if you liked 'Republic' then 'Laws'

Haven't read any Aristotle apart from Metaphysics so I'd ask for somebody else's advice on that one.

Then move onto 'Letters from a Stoic' and, if you like that, Marcus Aurelius' 'Meditations'.

After that, some St. Augustine and Dante would be good to set the scene for the rest of the pre-Descartes texts. Read the Summa Theologica, and then you might want to reread the Renaissance part of whichever contextual book you got before reading 'Leviathan'.

'Meditations on First Philosophy' is a crucial read, after which you can read some Spinoza (if you so wish) or alternatively power on through Locke, Burke, Rousseau and Mill, then read Kant in depth before tackling Hegel, and subsequently Kierkegaard and his critique of Hegel. People like Schop, Smith and Bentham are optional

Marx is next on the list (but not Das Kapital), then Nietzsche but after that it's entirely up to your own tastes - 20th Century philosophy leaves too many options for me to list here.

It's good to read them to understand the cultural background of the time. Also a lot of themes in those books are tackled by Plato and Aristotle (but mainly the first dude). That's why I put a "probably" in there.

>Kant (Proleleleleogogomena).

Shouldn't I read Pure Reason first?

yes

>It's good to read them to understand the cultural background of the time.

I suppose. But if you're arguing that then he should also read Thucydides and Xenophon to understand the political situation in Athens and how it relates to the death of Socrates.

I'd disagree with this, it seems as if it reflects your personal reading and tastes too much. And come on lad you can't skip Hume.

Proleleofoagomena is basically Critique of Pure Reason: For Dummies

Oh fuck, I did miss out Hume, sorry about that. I know there were some personal preference in there but I thought that list covered the general basics, though one could argue that Rousseau, Aurelius, most Kierkegaard and Locke are optional. What am I missing out on because of my tastes?

>But if you're arguing that then he should also read Thucydides and Xenophon to understand the political situation in Athens and how it relates to the death of Socrates.

Yeah, that would be ideal, but you can get that out of commentaries. Understanding themes like that of "Beauty", however, is arguably easier with the great images of Homer's works.

>Proleleofoagomena is basically Critique of Pure Reason: For Dummies

That's what I thought, but he constantly refers back to Pure Reason in that book, to a point where I'd just rather read the fucking thing

Not so much you were/are missing out, but you added stuff that's not necessary to a fella just getting into philosophy.

I mean, Marx is very very influential and important, but he's no Descartes or Plato, who are a necessary parts in a "getting into" list.

My list could have done with more political and ethical works though.

thanks for the answers guys, I was sure having a "ruff" time until I got your help

You have not, nor will you, read half the books up here. Sorry OP, I see right through your bullshit list making tendencies.